We are spending the weekend in Pacific Grove. Some of the ideas I have include:

tidepool viewing
visiting the lighthouse
walking along the beach
17-mile drive
day of golf for the husband
shopping for the girls
dining

Can anyone recommend good, moderately priced places to eat dinner and breakfast?

Also, has anyone done the things I've listed? If so, can you tell me your experience--time of day to go, how it was, etc?

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 08:51 PM
xxx

Carmel is the perfect loaction for shopping for the girls.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 11:19 AM
kam

Lots of bakeries in Carmel for breakfast. Abalonetti's on Fisherman's Wharf in Monterey might be fun for a moderately priced dinner. Flaherty's Oyster Bar in Carmel is good too. There are lots of places in Pacific Grove, but we tend to go to Carmel or Monterey.One I could recommend is the Tinnery in PG.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 01:19 PM
Bob

I live in PG and am writing from there now.

Restaurants in the area: Peppers in PG is where the locals go for Mexican. La Dolce Vita on Lighthouse great Italian. Fandango's for expensive and great food and service. Roy's at Spanish Bay to eat and see the bagpiper at sunset.

Shopping: The Barnyard Shopping center off Hwy 1 in Carmel is beautiful and has actual shops versus the Tshirt joints on Ocean. Check it out for shopping for your girls. Bahama Billy's is a new restaurant that just opened in the Barnyard and is great.

Breakfast: Two places. TOASTIES in downtown PG is great and inexpensive. FRESH AWAKENINGS at the outlet mall across from the Aquarium is also very good. Both places usually have a line waiting.

The outlet mall is also good for shopping and has a great IZOD outlet that we enjoy. The COACH store for leather is an outlet also and is on Ocean in Carmel. KHAKIS in the Barnyard is one of the best men's stores you will ever find.

The lighthouse tour is fun and not too long. Golf at PG Municipal is reasonable and also has views of the Pacific Ocean.

www.pacificgrove.org also has more info on our town. Great place to live!

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 03:21 PM
Just-A-Reader

Just had to chime in with a HUGE THANK YOU to BOB.
What great, detailed advice you gave 'Do' in response to his questions.
It's the kind of response I would love to get and I'm sure Do appreciates it.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 05:31 PM
xxx

Very good input.
ttt
For some more
Thanks

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 10:53 AM
Do

Back from PG and had a GREAT time!!

kam, the Tinnery has great ocean views.

Bob, Toasties was very good fro breakfast and my husband really enjoyed the golf course.

We also took in the lighthouse tour, watched the sunset on the beach and enjoyed great wildlife viewing, including deer, fox, raccoons and bats!!
Plus, the weather was awesome!

So, thanks to all.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 01:15 PM
kam

Glad you enjoyed your weekend in Pacific Grove. Our neighbors have a house down there and had been trying to encourage us, but it's such a commitment.It's an area we love and envy Bob for living there full time.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 02:20 PM
Bob

Glad you enjoyed the weekend in Pacific Grove. It was truly awesome weather last weekend.

One advice on the weather. The months of June, July and August are not the best months for the Monterey Peninsula. Last weekend's June visitors lucked out as this time of the year can be cool and foggy.

The best time of the year to visit is September through December. That is truly a special time in Pacific Grove.