Golfing in Monterey -- Not a Golfer!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 03:15 PM
Clueless

Golfing in Monterey -- Not a Golfer!

I think my husband would enjoy a game of golf on Father's Day with his pre-teen son. Someone clue me in on the fundamentals-Please! What can I expect to pay for a round of golf in the Monterey-17 mile Drive area? Where is a nice course that won't break the bank -- moderately priced facility? Would there be any shopping nearby for the "mom" and a nice place for all of us for dinner? Appreciate any suggestions!!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 04:40 PM
Bob

Pebble Beach is $350.00 per round plus cart fee and it is already booked for Father's Day I am sure. Spanish Bay is not much better.

We live in this area. You may want to try Pacific Grove Municipal Golf Course. Many tourists are unaware of this course. It runs along the ocean with beautiful views and through the town of Pacific Grove. Fees are about $50 per round versus Pebble's $350.00. Go to www.Pacificgrove.org and there should be some more detailed info on the course there.

Rancho Canada is in Carmel Valley, but I do not know the fees there.

There is good shopping at the outlet mall located across from the Monterey Aquarium or downtown Pacific Grove. Both are very close to the golf course....5 to 10 minutes by car max.

Dining: In downtown Pacific Grove you have Fandango's...outstanding and expensive. Favaloro's is not as expensive and good Italian. La Dolce Vita is small and very good Italian. The locals enjoy Pepper's for good Mexican food.

Hope this helps out some. Enjoy the area.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 04:52 PM
Clueless

Bob,
thank you so much for the help! I will look into Pacific Grove and your other suggestions and hope for the best!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 05:30 PM
BillJ

Another course overlooked by tourists is the old Fort Ord course. There are two, one is called the "bayonnet" course. Fort Ord was closed as an Army base, now houses a new Calif State Univ campus. The golf courses are now municpal courses, and can probably be found looking up Monterrey golf courses. When I was in the Army at Fort Ord, as a private (lotta years ago), I got to rake the traps for the generals. Now I can do it for me! Hee, hee!
For a special place to eat I would recommend The Fresh Cream. They have a web site. It's expensive and elegant.
There are a couple of neat little shopping centers for "Mom" down Hiway 1, but I'll have to wait for my wife to come home, then I'll give you the names.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 07:58 PM
BillJ

My wife says to recommend to you The Crossroads and the Barnyard as shopping opportunities. Both are slightly south of Carmel on Hiway 1. The Crossroads also features the Rio Cafe, a fun place with tex-mex and a dynamite shrimp salad with asiago cheese. The Barnyard is right at the intersection of Hiway 1 and the road that goes up into Carmel Valley.
Then of course, there is the main street of Carmel. A shopping mecca, many now think a bit touristy.
Hope this helps. Have fun.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 09:30 PM
scott

My I suggest roys at spainish bay. If you get there at dusk you can sit down after the round and enjoy the bagpipes, just before dinner. Fresh cream is good but pricey for what you get. If you want a good selection go down town near the double tree hotel. the main street has many good eats. Enjoy.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 09:27 AM
Clueless

Well, thanks to each of you for taking the time to give such great suggestions. The Pacific Grove course is priced within our budget and with the ideas on restaurants and shopping from Scott and Bill, I think we're set!

Two additional questions...Does anyone know about the Lighthouse Lodge? I was considering an overnight stay there.

Also, How long, on average, does it take to play an 18-hole course?

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 10:37 AM
kam

for more info go to www.golfmonterey.org You need to make Father's Day reservations immediately! Abalonetti's is good for calamari and other Italian seafood on the Fisherman's Wharf and Montrio and Fandango are also very good. Fresh Cream is probably the best of Monterey. Loads of places in Carmel as well--our favorite is Grasings. Prices quite high in Carmel but great for an occasional purchase and browsing. Beward the parking restrictions though--they really enforce them.