Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Carmel and Monterey Restaurant Favorites, Please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2003, 08:05 AM
E
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty familiar with the Monterey Bay area, but we moved away several years ago and now we're returning for a visit. We have our own restaurant faves, but I'd love to hear what yours are so we can add to our repertoire. What's great now? What used to be good but isn't anymore? What's new? What restaurants would you walk a mile in new shoes to get to? Thanks!!
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 09:26 AM

If you are familiar with the area you might well know about the Monterey Fish House. We thought it was great fun..lots of locals,fish cooked every which way and more. If not..check it out.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 12:31 PM

We had dinner at Fresh Cream last summer. Excellent food and beautiful view of the Monterey Bay. In Carmel, Cassanova's is always excellent.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 01:08 PM

I agree - Cassanova has great ambience in addition to great food, Fresh Cream is always fantastic, but not thrilled with the decor - although it does have a view. I still like Clint Eastwoods place for a more rustic setting - Mission Ranch.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 03:44 PM

A new place in town is BAHAMA BILLYS located in the Barnyard Shopping Center in Carmel. Owned by the well known Billy Quon and has great food and ambiance. Has become one of our favorites.

HULAS in Monterey is fun for good food at reasonable prices.

FANDANGOS in Pacific Grove still great and going strong.

A new place opened in downtown Pacific Grove called LA DOLCE VITA. Great service, very good food. Worth the visit.

Mexican food? PEPPERS in Pacific Grove or BAJA CANTINA on Carmel Valley Road near Quail Lodge.

Why did you move away? We live in the area and would never leave. We made that mistake one time and it took us 9 long years to get back.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 06:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
We just got back from Monterey, and thanks to another Fodorite, we tried the Monterey Fish House (reservations necessary) and we just loved it. Great meal, reasonably priced.

We also like Pasta Mia in Pacific Grove (in a neat Victorian house) and Fandango is another good choice.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 09:20 PM

for breakfast in Carmel, try Kate's, long lines, but GREAT breakfast!
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 05:14 AM

If you're looking for fine dining, Anton and Michel is excellent. My husband and I really enjoyed it on our honeymoon.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 10:25 AM
E
Original Poster

Thanks so much, everyone! This is such a great area for dining out, no two people will give the same recommendation--all yours are duly noted! And Bob1, it's a long story why we left, but boy, would we love to return! Maybe someday...
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 11:11 AM

I like Merlot on Ocean Avenue in Carmel, it is a little bistro and has very good food.
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 03:31 PM
SAB

Passionfish in PG--no view, just great food and fabulous wine sold at wholesale--imagine not paying $25 for a $10 bottle of wine!!!!
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 12:10 PM

That would be retail prices for wines at Passionfish not wholesale.Still the wine list is outstanding with many hard to find wines.
"Taste Cafe" on Forest Ave in Pacific Grove is another good choice.They recently increased the size of the restaurant so it does not feel as cramped as before.My wife and I dine here from time to time and we have never been disappointed.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 01:14 PM
PH

Casanova in Carmel is definitely a must. Great food and Great Service.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 04:31 PM

"E", would love to hear why you left this great area. Hope you make it back someday.

Another spot I just remembered is JOE ROMBI's in PG. This is located across the street from FANDANGO's. Does not have an impressive front, but great inside and good food.

They have opened a new restaurant in downtown PG in an old Victorian home called ROBERT'S WHITE HOUSE on Lighthouse. My wife ate there and enjoyed the food and service.