Newport beach vacation

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 07:31 PM
Gary

Newport beach vacation

I will stay at Hyatt Neporter for 3 days 2 nights with my wife & 5 yr old son in August. Questions:
1) Did anyone stay at Hyatt Newporter before? Any comment on this hotel?
2) Any good family restaurant in Newport beach area?
3) How's the traffic to drive from this hotel to Disneyland?
4) Any suggestions on what to do at Newport beach?

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 10:13 PM
Leslie

Traffic to Disneyland will be heavy (take the I-5 Freeway north)..if you don't want to bother driving, there are a number of shuttle buses that go from the John Wayne Orange County Airport up to Disneyland.

As to what to do in Newport Beach, go to the beach at the ocean, or for no surf, to the beach at the bay. When we were little, we loved the bay and it is safer for a 5 year old. Also, Balboa Island is nice to visit, as are Newport harbor cruises. Also, there is a big old fashioned amusement pavillion on Balboa Peninsula. Corona Del Mar beaches are lovely too. As for dinner, well, I always eat at my Aunt's house. She lives up on the bluff with a great view, but guess that's not an option for you!

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 06:52 AM
John

We stayed at the Newporter last weekend and drove to Disneyland on Sunday; it took us around 20 minutes in light traffic, using PCH to Newport Blvd/Fwy (SR 55) to I-5. Disneyland has its own exit off I-5 and has completely revamped its parking arrangements - it's a breeze compared to days of yore.

The Newporter has been there for ever and has been through several ownerships. It's a rather sprawling property, with several buildings clustered around a couple of pools, hot tubs, etc. The main building has restaurant, cafe, late hours espresso/sandwich bar, the usual. The Newporter is a "resort" with access and facilities on the Newport back bay; rose garden, wedding gazebo, spa, etc., plus bunnies and ducks hopping/waddling around the lawns. We thought it was very nice indeed; our room was in the oldest building ('60s?) but had just been completely rebuilt and was lovely. It helped that we got a great deal on the room through Priceline.com.

There are plenty of family restaurants on PCH in Newport - we went with family to a branch of Joe's Crab Shack for lunch and had a loud and fun lunch complete with dancing waitstaff and other "theme" restaurant hijinx; the kids present loved it while the elders in our party (80th birthday for one) had a hard time hearing themselves chew. Good view of zillion dollar yachts from the restaurant. There are also many good places, some on the water, on Balboa and Lido Isles.

The Newporter is just across the road from the entrance to Fashion Island, one of So. Cal's premier shopping center (Bloomingdales, et al) so if you hanker to leave some bucks in your wake (as if Disneyland isn't enough) then have a go.

Have a good time.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 09:29 AM
Gary

John: Thanks for suggestion. It sounds like Newporter is a nice hotel to stay at. Actually, I am also getting this hotel with a good rate from priceline.com.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 10:21 AM
xxx

Have also stayed at the Hyatt Newporter with my family and was pleased with the accomodations and service. John has described the property very well. We stayed in one of the 2-story buildings away from the main building, it was recently renovated and very comfortable, close to the main pool and whirlpool. We booked a government rate and would stay again. Just a couple of minutes from Fashion Island an open air mall, with easy access to the PCH and freeways.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 01:30 PM
Gary

John & XXX: Thanks for your suggestions on Hyatt Newporter. It sounds like this is a nice hotel.
Do you know is Hyatt Newporter close by to any beach area that is fun to go w/ my 5 yr old son?