help with itinery and accomodation oahu and maui

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We,(2 adults,kids 11 and 15) arrive 9.30 am from Oz into Honolulu. Trying to decide whether to fly straight on to Maui for 6 nights - thinking of villa accom then back to Oahu for 6 nights possibly staying Turtle Bay resort. Questions - should we hire a car in Oahu as I gather we are not in the main area of Waikiki? Should our last night be at an airport hotel as we depart to Oz at 10am ? Should we reverse the itinery and stay Oahu first then Maui and stay at airport hotel on last night? is it necessary to stay at airport or should we stay last night in Waikiki area and head to airport in morning ? Sorry we are first timers so have lots of questions......also we were recommended Turtle Bay condos as a cheaper alternative to Turtle Bay resort but I have come across some terrible reviews of these in regard to cleanliness and bugs !! Any opinions as they are significantly cheaper.
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 05:41 PM

What about splitting up your trip so that when you first arrive you spend a few days on Oahu (maybe in Turtle Bay) and then go on to Maui, and then back to Oahu for your last few days, maybe along Waikiki? You would want a car for your Turtle Bay days on Oahu, but if you are staying in the Waikiki area it isn't necessary to have your own vehicle. I think you would have no problem getting to the airport from Waikiki for catching your flight home. I, personally, would not stay by the airport the last night.

Just my opinion...

I was just in Waikiki in September and stayed at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani and found it to be an excellent choice for me. BTW, there was a couple from OZ staying there; we chatted in the lobby; they were leaving for home the next morning.

Enjoy your vacation!
Carol

Old Nov 17th, 2007, 06:55 PM

I guess there might be a small advantage to starting in Oahu, since you wouldn't have a connection after that long flight. Otherwise, I don't think it matters. The north shore of Oahu is beautiful, but your kids might prefer Waikiki since there's more to do there. If you stay there, you wouldn't need a car except for one day to drive around the island. At Turtle Bay, you would want a car. You probably won't need to stay at the airport, but you will need to get there very early. I was there a few years ago and barely made the flight, even though I was there three hours early, because the lines (check-in, agriculture and security) did not move.
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 07:42 PM

Turtle bay is on the north shore of Oahu; Waikiki is on the south shore. About an hour apart if there is no traffic. There is a public bus system on the north shore, but it is fairly irregular and coming into downtown or Waikiki would be about 2-2.5 hours. In other words, you could get around without a car (my mother in law loves our buses) but it would be quite a bit easier with a car if you're on teh north shore.

The airport is not quite so far from turtle Bay as Waikiki, but for a 10 am flight to Oz, you'll need to be at the airport at 8am, which means you will hit our major rush hour from the north shore towards town. Plan on AT LEAST an hour and a half drive that morning.

I would stay in Waikiki that last night as the two airport hotels are pretty dumpy. You could have fun wandering waikiki and you won't need to leave so early the next day. I'd allow 45 minutes from Waikiki to the airport--it should only take about 25, but you wouldn't want to miss your flight in the even of an accident.
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 08:21 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I like your original idea to proceed direct to Maui when you land Oahu. To me that is the more streamlined option.

And your last night (or two) I would book something right in Waikiki. That would give you one more area to see for a couple days, even if you don't want the hussle and bussle of Waikiki for a longer stay. It's very easy to get to the airport from there and much more enjoyable than staying at the airport itself (not pretty).
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice so far. I am now thinking fly straight to Maui 5 nights ( Resort Quest Villas ?? any opinions ) then back to Turtle Bay (with car hire) then 2 nights Waikiki - the 15 year old has won out there !! I found a web site called Perfect Properties who offer accomodation at privately owned villas at Turtle Bay. Does anyone know of this company or had experience ? Have just received Entertainment Book thanks to the advice of Fodorites - any hints about booking accomodation direct as savings seem too good to pass up?