Oahu or Maui - first trip advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning our first trip to Hawaii. Oahu or Maui ? 7 days in May - We are in our 50's and we are not beach sitters but love the ocean and touring and sightseeing. Perhaps volcanoes, flea markets, easy nature walks, sunsets. Places to do easy snokeling as this will be the first time. We also need your opinion on condos to rent, looking for mid price range.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 06:59 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Either would be wonderful. I would probably pick Maui for a first trip because it struck me as "classic Hawaii". I love Oahu but only know the Honolulu/Waikiki area. Oahu is great because there's lots to see and do. There are no active volcano on either island but you can visit the crater of Haleakala on Maui, it's amazing.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 07:52 AM

I'd go with Oahu... You'll be very busy with the Flea Market @ the Aloha Stadium (Wednesdays, Sat. and Sundays)
North Shore sights, Waikiki Beach is truly amazing for people watching, Diamond Head is a great walk from Waikiki. Plenty to do and you only have to rent a car for a few days.. Great food- not too expensive, nice Hotels. Maui is OK but I think for your 1st time, OAHU is the way to go. ALOHA!!
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 09:44 AM

Aloha, I agree with Oahu. If you've never been to Hawaii, looking up the coastline to the view of Waikiki Beach and Diamond Head, the history of Pearl Harbor..IMO these are a must for a visit to Hawaii. Oahu also has tons of variety, check out the Bishop Museum and Iolani Palace tour if you want to learn about the Hawaiian Culture & history. You can get a good intro to snorkeling at Hanauma bay and you can do tons of flea markets, shopping and great dining.

There are many good condos in Waikiki and if you'd really like to make it a memorable trip, book 4 or 5 days in Waikiki and add a couple of days in the North Shore, either at a vactaion rental or Turtle Bay resort so you can experience a bit more secluded beaches and less crowded spots.

You'll have a fabulous time, regardless.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 10:40 AM

I also like Oahu because of the many things to do.

Lots of info:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34696831

Maui:

www.mauihawaii.com Great site with lots of info.

www.visitmaui.com

Waikiki Shore is a nice condo right on the beach in Waikiki. It is co-managed by Outrigger and Castle. It is also called Castle Waikiki Shore.

Waikiki Sunset and Waikiki Banyon are also good, but a couple blocks from the ocean.

No hotel or condo in Waikiki is more than a few blocks from the beach.

This site has great maps including detailed maps of Waikiki hotels and Maui hotels. Also good dining guide:

www.driveguidemagazines.com

Old Dec 6th, 2005, 01:00 PM

ttt for Curt
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 08:45 AM

If you are wanting sunsets, classic
Hawaii and an overall enjoyable
experience than Maui is the place to
go. Also if you can get a place on the
west side of the island on Kanapali
Beach bring a good zoom camera you will
experience the prettiest sunsets you
have ever seen. Hope this helps. There
is a nice sunrise bike trip you can
take bring warm clothing with you for
that but it will be an experience you
will never forget. It is really pretty
to see the sun come up. Hope this helps.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 09:26 AM

I lived in Hawaii for three years and i am not sure what this "classic Hawaii" talk is all about....if you are talking "sterotypical as seen on lots of TV shows Hawaii" (with, of course, all the Japanese golfing visitors very conveniently edited out of the picture) then I can understand the Maui fascination. And if you prefer to stay on a much MUCH quieter island I can understand that also.

If you'd like a little more cultural diversity, greater degree of nightlife, still great beaches, etc., and it is your first time I would pick Oahu...or even BETTER divide your time between the two islands and decide for yourself which one is the "best" for you.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 10:51 AM

My wife and I just returned from Maui for 8 days. She is not a beach person and we had plenty to do. If you don't like to Snorkel then go to the Maui Ocean Center in Maalewa. It has one of the best aquariums I have ever seen. In May you will be too late for whale watching which was pretty cool. Lahaina is a nice small town on the ocean with allot of small shops some tourist traps some not. Warren and Annabelle's magic show is there and that is allot of fun. Zip line is the newest thing on Maui on Haleakala. You go thru the jungle on a steel cable and it was a lot of fun. You won't run into boring days on Maui. One other thing stay away from the Maui El Dorado. Not impressed at all and they had 2 buildings that were fumigated while we where there.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 10:59 AM

<this "classic Hawaii"...if you are talking "sterotypical as seen on lots of TV shows Hawaii">

yes, that is precisely what i meant. nice summary.