Reload this Page >

West Maui and Wakiki, Oahu fav eating spots

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 06:19 PM
DK

We're going to be at Ritz in Maui and Outrigger Waikiki in Oahu in 2 weeks. Any fav suggestions for both areas?

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 05:50 AM
Carp

I just returned from Maui and Oahu two weeks ago! Statyed at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach. Nice hotel and spent a lot of time at Duke's Canoe Club. The International Market is accross the street and it is in a good, central location! If you want more specifcs, post another response and I will send you my email.
Bring lots of film because the views are amazing! I miss it!

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 06:10 PM
dk

NO ONE has fav eating spots in West Maui or in Oahu near Waikiki? I'm shocked, flabbergasted, but unfortunately still not at a lack of words. I need help people!! My parents and 7 siblings are counting on your intimate gastronomic knowledge of these beautiful Pacific islands.
How can I return to them without the wisdom of the Fodorites?

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 01:38 AM
jt

dk didn't give preferences for the huge variety avail. In both places you can't go wrong with Thai (Keos, Singha in Waikiki). Actually I like the new Wolfgang Puck's express in the hotel closest to zoo.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 12:53 PM
Casey

I am halfway through my one year of living in Waikiki and I have been to Maui, so I have lots of opinions on places to eat.

The best place I have eaten at on Oahu is Alan Wong's restaurant. It is a few minutes from Waikiki by cab but it is so great. The food is phenomenal, the service top notch, and so creative.

Another good place is Hoku's which is at the Kahala Mandarin Oriental. That is the nicest hotel on this island and you can see the dolphins in the lagoon before dinner. The restaurant is great and the room is gorgeous.

Roys, the original is in Hawaii Kai about 15 minutes from Waikiki and is terrific.

There really are not many amazing places in Waikiki. Dukes is really fun but the food is mediocre. I have heard great things about Hy's steakhouse but every steakhouse I have ever been to after Peter Luger's in NY is disappointing so I can't bring myself to go there.

Orchids at the Halekulani Hotel which is the top (by far) hotel in Waikiki (though the Kahala Mandarin Oriental, 10 minutes from Waikiki is nicer) is really terrific, especially their Sunday brunch! Oh that brunch is heavenly.

Actually Mariposa at Neiman Marcus at the Ala Moana Center is a great place for lunch. The view is amazing and they give you popovers and little cups of consomme when you sit down.

On Maui, the Anuenue Room at the Ritz is closed right now (or was last week). There are three Roys on Maui and those are all terrific. The best probably is Mama's Fish HOuse. Quite a ride but well worth it.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Monica

Back from Hawaii in late October, Tony and I enjoyed (on Oahu): Dukes, Keos, Hoku's.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 08:50 PM
dk

Now we're cooking! Preferences? I'm looking for your's and why you prefer it. Haven't gone too wrong in the past taking advice from Fodorites, just takes time to pry it out.
This sounds good so far. Keepem coming!!

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 02:24 AM
do a search!

DK: Possibly few people responded to this thread because it has been done a lot before. Do a search and you will come up with lots & lots of threads on eating for Maui & Oahu.

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 06:30 AM
Monica

DK, you can read my comments on the restaurants we dined in while in Hawaii. For me, Keo's has very good Thai food, Duke's has a lively atmosphere and we enjoyed their fresh fish and ahi appetizers; and Hoku's is a wonderful splurge with excellent service.

http://www.luvtotravel.homestead.com/Hawaiirest.html

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 01:40 PM
colleen

Hi DK!
My husband and I just returned on Tues from a FABULOUS stay at the Ritz Carlton on Maui. You are going to have a great time-amazing hotel!! Anyway there are lots of great places to eat in the West Maui area, you won;t have time to sample them all!! The restaurants at the Ritz are excellent-the Terrace for breakfast (yummy buffet with fresh juices, macadamia nut pancakes, etc with great views), the Banyan Tree for lunch or dinner(Pacific type cuisine with great views of the ocean). The Hula GRill at Kanaapali Beach (by Whalers Village shopping village) is good for lunch by the sand(burgers, sandwiches, cocktails) and dinner in the open air dining room with amazing sunsets. The Rusty Harpoon next door to the Hula Grill was good for breakfast. They also have lunch and dinner. Cheeseburger in Paradise is yummy (one in Lahainia and Wailea) for BIG burgers, fries etc. Great atomsphere and views.For ice cream, frozen yogert and awesome shave ice try Ashleys Internet Cafe in Kahana mall (just off hwy 30 before Kapalua). The areas of Lahainia, Kanaapali and Kapalua all have other great places to eat -just walk around and you'll find somewhere that suits your mood.Food by the pool at the Ritz is great too-have a cocktail and a snack while you enjoy the sun!! We had great weather-suuny and warm the whole time. Have a great trip!!

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 09:10 AM
dk

Thanks for all the great info.
How do I find all those other threads easily without the last 2000 initial posts?
1.5 days countdown...

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 09:54 AM
Suzie

We went to Maui in November and had a really good meal with GREAT service and live music with an ocean view at a place in Lahaina on Front St called Cafe O'Lei.

Also we had 2 very good meals at Via Bene which is in the Marriott Ocean Club but is very open and has ocena side seating. If the luau is in progress you get the added benefit of the music. Great outdoor seating, great waiter, John. Food was sooooo good especially the night they served ahi (or ono) in this great sauce with capers and included 2 huge shrimp wrapped in proccuito (sp). The second time we went it was not offerred, as it was the night's special previously, but John, our great waiter, tried to talk the chef into making it for me. Unfortunatley they didn't have the ingredients available at the time so I had to choose another entree that was very good also.

We ate outside at the Hula Grill which has a really abbreviated menu from the one offered inside. The food was just so so. At Lelaini's across the walk from Hula Grill the food was just awful.

Have a terrific time!!!

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 09:57 AM
Suzie

Ok sorry, I need to correct the restaurant's name. It's Va Bene. Also I meant to tell you that there is a Roy's nearby in Kahana.