Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Waikiki - Oahu, cut out a night or stay the extra day??

Old Jul 15th, 2004, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have this in another thread, but the name of that post only has to do with waverunners,... so I thought I'd post it again with a clear name for the topic, thanks

any input on Wakiki is welcome.... I am trying to decide if I should cut off one night there so that I'll ahve an extra night in Maui at the Grand Wailea.
we are staying at the Hilton Village, in the Ahli Tower, and we are going to Pearl Harbor first day, then a day trip to the Big Island the second day (that will be all day)
should we stay an extra day in Waikiki or is it just a crowded city and I should move on to the rest of our adventure of beautiful Kauai (Princeville), and Maui (Hana ranch and Grand Wailea)

please help, being from NYC, i dont realy have the need to be in a city on vacation.... of course I know that Hawaii is way different from NYC!!!

Old Jul 15th, 2004, 09:07 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are in Waikiki monday night-goto Royal Hawaiian Luau...also recommend Mr. Tiny Bubbles Don Ho show if you are old and want some memories...Magic of Polynesia is great magic plus hula dancing show...for something offbeat visit Shangri-La (home of Doris Duke-tabacco heiress) tour must be booked through Honolulu Academy of Art which is also good to visit>http://www.shangrilahawaii.org/

waikiki is much better these days...dont forget to have martini in Hanohano room top of Sheraton!
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 10:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunately most people think that Waikiki is the only place to stay on Oahu. It's not so and I personally feel it's a horrible place to stay because I just don't like the big hotel feel.

You can rent a beach house on the north shore. Or stay at a B and B in Lanikai. There are numerous options open to you other than staying in icky Waikiki. Sure, Waiks is nice for a night. Kinda neat and sort of funny. But it's over priced and too crowded.

If you can't find a better place to stay, skip the extra night and move on. Any more than 24 hours in Waikiki is not worth it to me. Sort of like Vegas.

Denise
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 10:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I second the idea of taking a ride to the North Shore. You can also check out a cottage at the Turtle Bay resort. Your cottage is just a few steps away from the water and have wonderful ocean views from your bed. very romantic and relaxing. About one hour away from HNL.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 02:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually tell people coming in from busy metro cities like New York to at least land in Oahu for a day to "detox." So if you spent an extra day on Oahu, that might be nice--depends on your disposition. I live on Oahu and often go into shock when I arrive on the other islands, especially Lanai or Molokai! That's just my 2 cents, though.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sounds like maybe not very necessary to stay the extra day.. what would we do? hang out on a beach... i imagine the beach at Walea, Princeville and Hamoa would be more relaxing than Waikiki (understatement I am sure) just wondering if we'd feel gipped by not staying...

how long will it take us to see Pearl Harbor and the Dole palantation (my husband loves pineapples...) I wonder if we'd have half day left after that??

thank you... sooner I make up mu mind.. sonner I can buy my inter island flights!!!