COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help with ideas for customer outing in Napa/Sonoma

Old Jul 20th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

I am putting together a small customer outing in the Napa/Sonoma area for October. It will be ~ 3 days/2 nights and is meant to just be a relaxing few days to enjoy time outside of work allowing us to further build relationships. We expect to have ~14 people in total. I would love to have your ideas/suggestions/thoughts on the following:

1. Napa or Sonoma? Last year (our first trip to this area) we stayed in Napa and visited several spots around there.
2. Lodging ideas? Prefer to stay in the $150 to $200 per person per night range. Last year we stayed at the Napa Marriott. It was okay, but I'd love to find something a little more quaint.
3. Activity ideas? I am looking for unique experiences. We of course will want to do some wine tasting. Are there any really unique and/or fabulous places to go for this that could accomodate a private group? I am interested in educational opportunities around wine/cheese pairing, possibly food/wine pairing (last year we went to Beringer Reserve and got a brief wine/food pairing lesson) , and possibly differences in the wines in the region. We visited Viader and Reverie wineries along with the Vintners Collective last year.
4. Dinner ideas? Last year we cooked our own dinner at the Culinary Institute of America. We also had dinner one night at Calistoga Ranch.
5. Other unique activities? Last year we did a balloon ride.

We had some great experiences last year, but I would like to change it up this year since some of the attendees may be the same. I appreciate any thoughts/advice.

Thanks!
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 11:00 AM

One unique experience would be Safari West. http://www.safariwest.com/home/

You can stay there in tent cabins, and there are facilities for retreats. Or you can take a safari tour just for the day and have dinner.
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 01:52 PM

Rent out Trefethen Winery for dinner, they do an amazing job and will let you choose your menu
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 04:53 PM

It sounds like you might need an event planner. Here's one who is well known in Napa and Sonoma.

http://www.viviani.com/main.php
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 07:27 PM

safari west does not come at a price of $150 - $200 a person unless you are willing to double up.
it is the santa rosa version of going on safari. a great place for a day trip.
you can also make arrangements for them to prepare a barbeque lunch or dinner for the group and if peter - the owner is around, he may be coaxed into sharing some of his fabulous stories