Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Napa/Sonoma Itinerary, one day..madness?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2003, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Logistically speaking, is this tentative itinerary I have not do-able?

On a Wednesday:
Leave San Francisco very early, about 7 am, via Golden Gate/Sausalito. Head to Muir Woods. Don't want intensive tour, maybe an hour here. Go up coast a little ways, tour about. Head over to Sonoma area.

Do a tasting at Ravenswood, pick up picnic items and have early lunch or eat at restaurant. Maybe taste at another winery in area. Try to leave for Napa around 12:30

Do tasting at Cakebread. Then either go to Neibaum Coppola for their 2:30 tour or to Duckhorn for their 3 pm tasting/food tour. Spend time looking around Napa afterwards, have dinner somewhere in town.

Evening: head back to San Francisco (is their an advisable hour it's best to attempt to leave so as to avoid traffic on a weekday?)

Thanks in advance for your opinion/thoughts.

Also, I always find info on tours at vineyards, at certain times...though they will follow by saying they are open from like 10-4. Does this mean that most vineyards have just a regular tasting room besides tours?

Old Aug 25th, 2003, 10:33 PM

Most vineyards do have regular tasting rooms. After all, once you've been on one tour - how many fermentation barrels do you really need to see?

Since you're having dinner, I'd suggest staying later. Traffic can sometimes be busy even at 7:30 or 8 though that depends on which bridge you take.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 06:07 AM
Kal

One small suggestion, you may want to stop in Sonoma for dinner versus going into Napa since it's on your way back to SF.

Or, instead of Napa "proper", a lot of good restarants in the Yountville (Napa Valley) area.

Ravenswood Zin, Cakebread Charddy and Coppola Claret....3 basic food groups in NV! O
Kal
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 06:17 AM

Ravenswood Zin! Good choice. Just had one last weekend, yum. Had a great lunch at Bella Luna right on the Sonoma town square. Ate on the front patio. Thought it was good.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 07:44 AM

The Girl and The Fig in Sonoma (right in the square) is lovely as well.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 03:57 PM

Madness, Yes. I would spen at least one night in either Napa or Sonoma. You're going to spend a lot of time on the road and not have much time for relaxing and sightseeing.