Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2004, 10:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
birthday dinner in napa/sonoma?

Best place for a special dinner?
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 11:54 PM

We love Domaine Chandon -- lovely atmosphere, grounds, and food!
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 01:02 AM

Domaine Chandon is truly lovely!
Yet, it does depend on the b'dy person,
Yes?
I would like to inquire about approx.
age of B'day person, likes, as to say, modern vs old world, Italian, CA cuisine, French..? or lots of hoopla or a quiet celebration.
Ask that respondents focus on those and other things,not that they went willy-nilly over some spot 2 years ago.
(Be careful of getting a timely sugggestion-I have heard places suggested up here that have traded /chefs/style/ownership/managementwithin the last 6 months...
Happy B'Day to _________!
R5
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 09:07 AM

Domaine Chandon is wonderful. We have only had lunch there, tho. In St. Helena we really enjoyed Terra for one of my birthday celebrations.

Auberge du Soleil is also very nice. Bistro Jeanty in Yountville is nice, tho the dining room is very small and more on the casual side.

In Sonoma, Cafe La Haye was excellent and we always like the girl and the fig. It never disappoints.

If you don't mind driving to Healdsburg, we loved the tasting menu at the Dry Creek Kitchen. It was included in our room price at the Hotel Healdsburg. www.hotelhealdsburg.com Bon appetit! ***kim***
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 10:47 AM
je

You should narrow your choice of an area down to one valley or the other. There are lots of choices in the town of Napa, Yountville, St. Helena, Sonoma or Glen Ellen.
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 12:17 PM
JWH

Hi. We are real foodies and we have eaten at many of the best places in NYC, SF, Chicago, Atlanta and Paris. Without a doubt the most fantastic dinner we have ever had was in Napa at The French Laundry. Be warned, however, the price is outrageous and Thomas Keller (Chef/owner) is starting another location in NYC so you may want to make sure it is still up to par. If this doesn't work out try Terra. JWH.
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 12:21 PM

JWH, I've read a couple of reviews on the FL since Per Se opened in NYC and reports have not been very favorable lately. A lot of diners feel the place has slipped a bit in the past few months. ***kim***
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 08:01 AM
JWH

Kimamom: What a shame but not surprising. That seems to happen when the owner isn't as hands on anymore. Good to know though...I would hate to pay that much and be dissapointed. Thanks for the info. JWH.
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 09:03 AM

My most amazing meal as of lately has been at the Sierra Mar @ the Post Ranch Inn. We were very wowed with the entire experience and the views are just awesome from their dining room. ***kim***
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 01:59 PM

I second Domaine Chandon. I have not been there for dinner, but lunch was extraordinary. We are going there again this month, but hesitate to go for dinner because the views and ambiance were so good at lunch. Can it get any better for dinner?
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 02:01 PM

Sorry...didn't realize I was the first one to respond to this message a while ago. Just goes to show how much I STILL like Domaine Chandon. Would like to hear how folks who have been there for both lunch and dinner compare the experience though.