Great restaurants in Sonoma / Napa

Old Mar 14th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great restaurants in Sonoma / Napa

My husband and I are planning a trip to Sonoma in May to celebrate my second anniversary of turning 28. I contemplated going to the French Laundry to celebrate. However, since Thomas Keller is spending most of his time in New York at Per Se, I'm not sure if it will be really worth it. We're from Chicago and love Tru, but think Trotter's is way over rated. That being said, does anybody anybody have any suggestions on restaurants that would be considered a "splurge" and is a big hit with the foodies?
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 09:27 PM

>>>That being said, does anybody anybody have any suggestions on restaurants that would be considered a "splurge" and is a big hit with the foodies?<<<

In Healdsburg: Cyrus
In Yountville: Redd
In Napa (town of): Budo

R5

Old Mar 14th, 2006, 10:43 PM

We had a $100 lunch at Auberge du Soleil which was only so-so. Heard traffic the whole time, plus a group of whiny women who kept sending wine back. While that's not the fault of the restaurant, it's probably common at places like this. Sorry, but i can't recommend this restaurant.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 11:12 PM

My sister just came back from Napa, she is a real foodie and gave 5 stars to Julia's Kitchen - 500 1st Street, Napa, CA. Their menu is online, prices are reasonable. I am going to be in Napa on April 21 and will post my review when I get back.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 04:45 PM

i just wanted to congratulate you on your 2nd anniversary of turning 28! my hubby and i are actually going to napa/sonoma the weekend of april 27th to celebrate my 4th anniersary of turning 28th and are going to REDD, Martini House and the restaurant at Domaine Chandon.

If you arent up for French Laundry.. there's a new restaurant in Healdsburg that we went to last fall that was just AMAZING---- CYRUS!!!! they even made me a special dessert from my puppies for our anniersary.. just as pricey and extravagent at the french laundry-- but doesnt have all the hype around it yet.. truly an experience-- last time we sat next to joe montana and his wife for our 4 hour dinner!
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Neopolitan

I've done several big splurges in Napa. French Laundry is not among them. Most have been just so-so for a lot of money. Interestingly Mustard's Grill, one of the cheapest of the lot remains my absolute favorite.

Old Apr 15th, 2006, 11:42 PM

French Laundry is so very much worth it, whether T. Keller is around or not. That's right he's most likely here in NYC as I type this (saw him behind the counter at his Bouchon Bakey just yesterday), but there's no restaurant in this country, other than Per Se, that parades one exemplary dish after another from the kitchen and with that one-of-a-kind top notch service to remember.

I'm sorry but Cyrus in Healdsburg simply cannot be compared to FL as it is not in the same league - i.e. on a couple of occasions we found the food the be hit-and-miss and not in the same high standard of service as FL. But the cost is at a fraction of the price of FL.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 11:59 PM

There are a growing number of great restaurants in the SOnoma/Napa area.

Napa -
Bouchon (awesome, easier to get lunch reservations),
French Laundry (really great but difficult to get reservations),
Redd (new, haven't been there, but the reviews have been fantastic),
Bistro Jeanty (if you can't get French Laundry, this is also great)

http://www.eatsleepgo.com/Mendo_Nap_Son.html
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 11:22 AM

We ate at Hurley's in Yountville because we found the atmosphere at Bouchon extremely chaotic (not bad, we just weren't up for it that night-hope to try another time). We loved Hurley's and it was reasonably priced. I also like having lunch on the patio at Brix.