Reload this Page >

Help with Halekulani

Search

Help with Halekulani

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 04:32 AM
Beth

Help with Halekulani

Can anyone who has stayed at the Halekulani tell me of your experience.

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 10:38 AM
morgan

I liked it, but I wouldn't stay there again. I think I was the ONLY caucasian person in the whole place (every morning sitting out on the lanai it was obvious!) It was a bit too stuffy for me...I preferred Four Seasons on Maui and the Hyatt on Kauai (the places I stayed on the rest of that particular trip).

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 12:23 PM
larry

Beth:

It's worth checking the Halekulani web ratings on this site ( I posted a review of a visit there).
The Halekulani is great place, but is not to everyone's taste. It's a very understated place, much quieter than the surrounding Waikiki hotels. The rooms are a white and offwhite combination, not that large, but very well designed (the closet separates the bathroom from the bedroom so you can easily dress while in the bathroom). The service is superb and seamless (better than even the Four Seasons on either Maui or the Big Island). The pool has a beautiful orchid mosaic in the center and is heated. All of the restaurants are first rate, and the House Without a Key features very classy entertainment at night (a trio of musicians and a hula dancer).

The hotel is owned by a subsidiary of Mitsui so it does attract many Japanese visitors, but when I visited in March, there were plenty of Caucasians too (according to the Halekulani, Japanese visitors are now in the minority). Bear in mind that many locals use the hotel to host weddings and receptions (my cousin's marriage reception was held there).

Also bear in mind that hotels, even luxury ones, are not "one size fits all". I preferred the Halekulani to both the Four Seasons Wailea and the Hyatt Regency on Kauai.

Of course, you may not like being in Waikiki. If you want to be in a quieter location, consider the Kahala Mandarin Oriental.

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 12:40 PM
Traveling man

Morgan, what a stupid reason to not like a hotel. Why do you travel, if you only want to be surrounded by your "own kind"? Stay in North Dakota where you belong. The rest of us are busy broadening our horizons.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 07:42 PM
Gary

Beth:
We stayed there 2 years ago, and are staying there again in 2 weeks. It is an absolutely superb hotel. Other times in Honolulu, we stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village and the Kahala Mandarin, and the Halekulani is far and away the best!

The rooms are well appointed, I disagree on the size, they are ample, very nice terraces, the grounds are superb, and the service is impeccable. It is a first class, luxury experience, and we can't wait to go back.