Hawaii Hotels need help on choices

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My DH and I will be in Hawaii 8/11-8/20. We are planning on going to Maui and Kauai.
So far these are our tentative hotels in this combination.
Renaisance Wailea 8/11-8/16
Princeville 8/16-8/20
or
Fairmont, Four Seasons, or Grand Wailea 8/11-8/16
Sheraton or Marriott 8/16-8/20
What opiniions do you have of the Sheraton and Marriott? are they run down in good areas? Should I splurge in Kuaia or in Maui? Your help would be most appreciated. Thank you!
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 07:30 AM

I love the Grand Wailea, but I would probably go with your first itinerary as I think you'll like the Princeville much more than either the Marriott or the Sheraton. And the Renaissance is certainly very nice and in the wonderful Wailea area of Maui!
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 07:34 AM
gyppielou

Princeville!

Old Jan 25th, 2005, 01:48 PM

FYI...Since you're considering the Princeville. The Travel Channel, Great Hotels will be featuring the Princeville Hotel on Feb 02 2005 @ 11:00 AM
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 03:50 PM

From all of the other comments I've seen here and from a visit (but not a stay), apparently the Princeville is very nice. However, the Sheraton is much more centrally located and certainly wasn't "run down" when we stayed there two years ago. We stayed in a large beachfront room and were pleased with the hotel -- except for its tacky daily resort fee.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 08:04 PM
gyppielou

sorry but a resort fee was not the only tacky find at the Sheraton...our stay was a dismal mistake. And we too were oceanfront...admitedly it's been a few years, but, I sincerely think that Princeville is the place to stay on Kauai. It has the most magic, and the area should not be missed in the summmer months. I have stayed at GW(would not return), 4S twice and love the Kea Lani. However I think any hotel in that area will be just wonderful. I would definately go for you first plans, although, and this isn't for everyone.....I now stay at alohapualani.com in kihei......a fantastic boutique property. The pool, the decor, the outdoor kitchen....it is a magical place. In fact, the folks at the 4S were very excited to hear I was staying there. The management loves the place.

Old Jan 26th, 2005, 05:20 AM

Don't the majority of the resorts charge a resort fee now? Last summer, both GW and Kauai Hyatt did.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 06:50 AM

We stayed at the 4S in Maui last September. We toured the grounds of the GW and Kea Lani. The GW and 4S share the same cresent beach. They are all upscale. I did like the GW because the hotel was very large and sat too far back from the beach. I favor a pool as just an accent and want the be at or veiw the beach closer up. The Kea Lani was beautiful and we ate at Nick's which was fabulous. 4S is the most intimate of the 3. If I had my 10 year old with us, he'd be most happy at the GW, but for 2 adults - the 4S is better- IMHO.

Because you are going to Kauai in August - hands down, stay on the Northshore. Fly in early enough to stop by the Wailea Falls and the Kiluea Lighthouse on your way up the coast. Then take one day to either to drive south all the way around the island to the Canyon and stop by and see Spouting Horn (a 30 min stop here at the most). Then spend the other time up on the northshore exploring the beaches/snorkeling. We stayed at the Hyatt for 2 nights and here on the northshore: www.secretbeachkauai.com

I would tell every couple to stay here, but we liked the intimacy of just chilling out on our own patio, cooking dinner, watching the sunset, sitting in our private jacuzzi at night and watching all the thousands of stars, walking down (20 min.) to the BEAUTIFUL beach. We had a few meals at the Princeville and thought it was beautiful too. But we didn't need to stay there to enjoy the views just sitting at the restaurant, having dinner and looking at Hanalea Bay for a few hours was plenty. We were happy to get back to our wonderful private cottege. It was the Ultimate.