Honeymoon Help in Hawaii

May 4th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Honeymoon Help in Hawaii

Spent last few days reading various posts and found it to be very helpful. Please help!

I plan to visit Hawaii on 7/10 for our honeymoon and how should I arrange my trip (coming from Los Angeles and in our early 30's).

Due to my Starwood and Hyatt points, I can stay on any Starwood for 5 nights and Hyatt for 3 nights.

Want to relax and do few activities (snorkeling) and sightseeing.

Should I visit Maui and Kauai, or Maui and Oahu? Which city should I visit first?

Tentatively looking at 5 days in Maui at Westin Maui and 3 days in Kauai at Hyatt, or should I do 5 days in Kauai at Sheraton Princeville and 3 days in Maui at Hyatt.

Thank you for your reply.
May 4th, 2004, 12:36 PM

That is such a difficult choice - almost a toss up as both itineraries sound heavenly! You can't go wrong at either the Princeville or the Hyatt on Kauai. However, they are very different properties in two very different parts of the island. Go to Wizardpub.com and read their reviews of these two. (They even compare them.) The Westin and the Hyatt on Maui, however, have many similarities - same area, nice pools, perhaps same "vibe". Therefore, I would make my decision based on which island visit would benefit from the extra two days, and I would have to say Maui as it's larger and there are more "must do" things to see. So IMHO Westin and Hyatt! I'll be at the Kauai Hyatt in June so I faced similar decision-making myself.
May 4th, 2004, 12:57 PM

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. I just got married in Hawaii and had a wonderful honeymoon for the most part. If you want to relax the Westin Maui would not be the place to do that in July. There will be tons of kids and families. The fall is the best time for couples to visit there. It's a wonderful hotel, but geared more towards families. If you want a really quiet Starwood property my suggestion would be the Kapalua Bay Hotel. It has some of the best snorkeling on Maui and is very quiet. It is much more geared for couples. It has a quiet sophistication about it. The Hyatt on Maui is the same as the Westin in the summer months. The Hyatt Kauai is more expansive and if there are families there you most likely won't notice it too much. I have stayed at all these properties so I am telling you first hand what you might expect. The Hyatt Kauai is beautiful. We loved listening to Jazz at Stephenson's Library (lounge on property) and also loved the food at Dondero's. I understand they have renovated since I was there three years ago. Kapalua Bay Hotel is serene and comfortable. The rooms are a bit plain, but have lovely bathrooms with seperate shower. Housekeeping is great. You have quite a few choices for dining up in Kapalua too. We loved the Bay Club. (on property)No shorts allowed, but not so starchy that you have to wear a jacket. Off property restaurants are The Plantation House (fabulous), Jamesons (casual, but wonderful food) Sansei (I don't care for sushi, but my husband loves it), or The Banyan Tree at the Ritz Carlton (right up the street and my favorite).

I hope this helps and have a wonderful time in Hawaii. I just returned from there last month.
May 4th, 2004, 01:05 PM

Tough choice, but luckily you can't go wrong! Crazy4Hawaii is right about the hotel area comparisions. Comparing the possible combinations, I think you get more bang for the buck if you utilize the Princeville and the Hyatt on Maui b/c the Princeville is signifcantly better than the Maui Westin (or Sheraton), much greater than the difference than the difference in the two Hyatts. However, I think the big question is the islands themselves and how much time on each. That will involve how much sightseeing, driving aournd you want to do v. just relaxing (and "honeymooning") you want to do. There is more to do on Maui, Kauaii is very pretty and relaxed.

IMHO, I'd go with Princeville for 5 nights first - to relax in a beautiful environment, boat trip to the coast, etc. - and then finish with the 3 in the more active Maui area for a burst of fun at the end. If however, you want to do more of the traditional tourist things - Road to Hana, go the Haleakala, etc. then you'll probably want the extra time in Maui rather than Kauai.
May 4th, 2004, 04:07 PM
sap

Hopefully, I'm wrong about this, but you might be cutting it a little too close timewise on finding rooms at any of those hotels. Maybe being a Starwood member will help, but I think you may want to make your decisions and book ASAP if your looking at July. Good luck!
May 4th, 2004, 04:51 PM

Agree with fivestar about the Kapalua Bay Hotel and the Hyatt on Kauai. What a nice combo of hotels! Good luck with reservations.
May 6th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replys.