Lodging/restaurants in Maui, Kauai & Oahu

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, all you well-versed lovers of Hawaii! I have been diligently reading all the comments I can find on accomodations, restaurants and the differences between the islands. My husband and I will be taking our first trip to Hawaii in May for our 25th anniversay. We will be there 10 days, and are thinking of staying on two islands. We are looking for mid-priced above average accomodations (which seem to be around $400/night). We want beautiful suroundings, but not so pricey that we feel guilty leaving for day trips! We plan on driving for the scenery, taking long walks, eating at mid-priced restaurants (we aren't into gourmet: just good food at a decent price), and relaxing in quiet surroundings to take in the beauty.
From all I've read so far, I've narrowed it down to Kauai and either Oahu or Maui. We fly into Honolulu, so I first thought of just staying there for the first few days, since we're flying from Chicago and ten hours of travel is enough. But then I read that the traffic can be aggravating on Oahu, and that you need to go north before it really gets beautiful. Anybody familiar with the Halekulani or the Marriott Ihilani? I'm wondering if they are secluded enough to be relaxing, or are they too far from the north to be "relaxing."
We're also considering the Kauai Regency Hyatt; are there any similar hotels in Princetown, besides the Princetown (a little too stuffy for us)? I love the idea of being in the north, but can't find other hotels of that type.
In Maui, I'm looking at the Hotel Hana Maui or something similar. The Four Seasons sounds a little over our budget. Again, beautiful and relatively quiet.
I love the cabana-style of the Kona Village Resort, but from what I've read the Big Island doesn't sound like it has as much to do as Maui or Kauai.
Lastly, any favorite local restaurants? Again, nothing really fancy, just local flavors and freshness.
I know this is a long one, but I have actually really narrowed it down reading through every forum I can find on these topics! I value peoples' opinions more than a blurb in a book. (Which is why I've decided against the Hanelei Bay Resort Condos...). THANK YOU!!!!
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 11:00 AM

Okay! Lots to answer, hope I can help.

First off: Oahu. We enjoy Oahu, but it is a mixed bag for many folks since most people stay in Waikiki (which is very busy, big-city atmosphere). That said. The Ihilani is NOT in Waikiki--it's a good 30-40 min drive out of town. I have not personally stayed there but my parents have, and praised it highly as an absolutely gorgeous resort. (They are in their early 60s and like golf, dining, relaxing, etc.--not into action and crowds on vacation.) If you rent the movie "Blue Crush," the hotel featured is the Ihilani.

The Halekulani is also a gorgeous top-line hotel, but it's right on the beach in Waikiki. If you like being in the thick of it all, you will love this place. For being right in the center of the action, I will say it has a relatively serene vibe. But Waikiki is not "quiet" by any means of the word. (This might not be bad, if you are going to Kauai, which is very quiet and relaxing...a nice contrast.)

Kauai: I think the only resort of the Princeville caliber on the north end is the Princeville. You may want to look into luxury condos up there to see what you can find.

Maui: I would not go to Hana. It's lovely but secluded--hard to get in and out of, and your dining choices are limited. If you can't swing the Four Seasons (which is totally worth the money in my opinion--gorgeous resort! Great area!), look into the Ritz, the Hyatt, or the Sheraton. All very nice.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 11:11 AM

For May you are still in the rainy season on Kauai so yeah go with the Hyatt. Would not risk a north shore stay that time of year.

looks like you are doing a lot of hopping for 10 days. Have you island hoppped before in that time frame? I would take 10 days two islands only and probably would only do one in that time frame. But a lot of people enjoy hotel stays with a lot of driving around on the islands that might be you too. You have a million dollar view from the car window just ask yourself if that is how you want to visit each island.

Gellers were right about the Halekulani but remember you are going in May. Things will be slow in Waikiki that time of year. A lot of people love that hotel. I have only been for drinks and jazz.

My Golden rule for travel is less is more. If you want to remember more than the smell of rented cars or interisland airline snacks.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 11:11 AM

Oh! BTW, the Big Island has easily as much to do and see as Maui and Kauai--it also has, in my opinion, the nicest resorts in the state. Kona Village is amazing. Good luck w/ your decision!
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help! Gellers, it is funny that you think that the Kona Village is amazing, because that was my first impression of their website. But then I kept reading that the food wasn't good and that the Big Island didn't have much to do. My priority is the natural beauty (right now Big Sur is my favorite place, along with the rainforest of Ecuador), which why I really responded to how awesome Kauai is supposed to be. The rain could be an issue, but I've read that it is that way on the north of each island. I see what Sarah is saying about being in the car, but how else would you see everything? Thanks for your input!
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 04:33 PM

Kona Village is pretty much the closest you will get to an all-inclusive in Hawaii--they have meal plans there--so I'm not surprised the food is reported as not that great. However, the grounds are really, really cool! (I have not actually stayed there. We have stayed at the Mauna Lani and the Fairmont Orchid on the Big Island and thought both were spectactular, particularly the Mauna Lani. The Four Seasons is also supposed to be quite fantastic.)

If you click on my screenname it will take you to all my posts. One of my posts is a trip review of the Big Island for our honeymoon in 2003. It gives a pretty good rundown of lots of things to do and see there. If you like natural beauty...the Big Island is unsurpassed in variety. I think it's one of the few places where you can see live lava and swim in volcanically heated natural pools.

I think two islands is fine for 10 days. And driving around in a car is a fine activity. We almost never pay for any tours when we visit Hawaii--we just hop in the car, pack some snacks, and drive around the island exploring on our own. Don't worry too much about rain. It generally does not last all day, and there is always a "sunny" spot on whatever island you visit.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 07:55 AM

This will probably just confuse you more, but I wanted to chime in with two things:

The Halekulani is an amazing hotel, and it's true that you feel like you're in an oasis of peacefulness amid the hustle and bustle of Waikiki. For that reason I think it's a great way to have the convenience of staying in Waikiki with luxury and relaxation.

Also, the Big Island has tons to do and just about all of it is connected to the natural beauty and diversity of environments of the island. Kauai was nice, but I think the BI has more to offer.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 04:40 PM

Something to consider with regards to The Halekulani is that Luxurylink has an ongoing auction for 5 nights in a Diamond Head room with a dinner at La Mer, two spa treatments and breakfast. Seems like winning bids are usually around $2000 or so.
-Bill
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 08:51 PM

The Halekulani deal is not available on Luxury Link; I just did a search there.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 07:51 AM

mobylvr: Last Sept.- We (45,52) stayed at several of the places you are thinking about for your trip. Kauai Hyatt, Halekulani, 4Seasons Maui, Kona Village BI. I put together a long trip report including a link to photos from the places we stayed and our likes and dislikes. Here's the link

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34534736

If you have other questions you can email me at [email protected]

I can say Halekulani was wonderful. It was definitely relaxing even though it was in the mist of Waikiki. We sat on our balcony and watched the boats, swimmers, surfers and listened to the music coming from the House without Keys restuarant below. It was a wonderful end to our 3 weeks in Hawaii.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 08:57 AM

The Halekulani auction is on at Luxurylink. I just checked and the current high bid is around 2625.00. Go to auctions - west coast/hawaii - it's either on page 6 or 7.
-Bill
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 02:30 PM

Kauai - Hyatt Regency Poipu.
Beautiful resort, great grounds pool and beach. Good restaurants. Poipu and Koloa have some very good restaurants - Roy's is great, Beachhouse for the best sunset dinner.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 08:10 AM

we are leaving for our honeymoon in a week. we are staying in oahu, kauai & maui. i can give a review in mid-march when we get back. i'm very excited about our stay in maui. i searched high and low to find nice, classy, stylish, AFFORDABLE hotels. i found the aloha pualani boutique hotel. it's only got 5 suites, with a shared courtyard/pool/outdoor kitchen area. under $300/night, on the west side of maui.

i can write a review when i get back, but thought you might like a heads up. we're also staying at the marriott on waikiki, and the courtard by marriott on kauai.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 08:31 AM

Hi there,

We just got back from our 8 day trip to Maui literally hours ago. We stayed at the Fairmont Kea Lani in Wailea (close to the Four Seasons). It's absolutely gorgeous, an all suite property, and for $400/night, you can get a room with a great view. I highly recommend it - we spent a lot of time exploring the island but loved coming back to the hotel to play.

We also stayed our last night at the Hotel Hana Maui in a Sea Ranch Cottage. It was AWESOME. It's definitely a great way to end your trip in a relaxing, very Hawaiian setting. I wished we spent at least two nights there. So I highly recommend doing the majority of your trip in Maui at the Kea Lani and then doing a night or two at Hana as well.