Hawaii - Honeymoon Resort Recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2014, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiancé and I are going to be honeymooning end of April-early May of 2015 and we are looking to go to Hawaii. We would like feedback on a few things.

1. From preliminary research we seem to have narrowed down the search to Maui, Kauai, and possibly Oahu. We are not against Big Island but unless someone can make a strong case for it we think we would like to find a place at one of the three I mentioned. Is Oahu going to be a good place for honeymoon? Or too overrun by families and non-couples? I have seen a few good resorts for honeymoons (Kahala Resort) online that are on Oahu so I am a little bit torn.

2. Our budget is $5,000 for about a 10 night stay without airfare. I kind of want to get a place under $400 (probably close to $350) per night that way we can spend some money on the amenities/activities, is this a good strategy?

3. We want a beach setting at a 4 or 5 star place and it seems during that time of year I can find several resorts under $400 per night but I don't know if they're primarily honeymoon/couples resorts or more for families etc. So any recommendations would be welcome or comments on the following:

Sheraton Kauai
Lotus Honolulu @ Diamondhead
Hyatt Regency Waikiki
Hilton Hawaiian Village
Wailea Beach Marriott
Westin Princeville Ocean Resort
Hyatt Regency
Honua Kai
Sheraton Maui
Koa Kea
Kahala Hotel & Resort
Moana Surfrider (Westin)
Westin Maui
Trump International Waikiki
Royal Hawaiin
Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort
St. Regis Princeville
Grand Wailea
Ritz Carlton Kapalua
Turtle Bay Resort
Fairmont Kea Lani
Old Oct 7th, 2014, 10:39 AM

Are you planning on staying put (one hotel/resort for all 10 nights)?

Here are some thoughts regarding the listed hotels:

The two Sheratons you mention are in great locations but aren't the same quality level as many of the others. For example, comparing the Sheraton Kauai to the Grand Hyatt is apples and oranges. on the other hand, the Sheraton is on a nice beach, and you can't swim at the Grand Hyatt beach.

The Royal Hawaiian is a lovely grand hotel. Old-time, but redone.

The Grand Hyatt Kauai is more glitz and glamour than old-time loveliness, but still very very lovely (not the rooms so much, they're pretty "standard issue", but the common spaces and pools).

The Hyatt Regency Waikiki is like most other Hyatt Regencys. Its also across the street from the beach (which isn't really a problem, just pointing it out).

Honua Kai is too far from Kaanapali for my taste (I don't like the isolation), but it is a very nice complex - newish, too.

Princeville hotels - both hotels are very nice and upscale, but be aware they are located on a cliff, so above the ocean, not walk-out. I'm not a Princeville fan, but many on here love it.

Koa Kea is on a great beach, and is a secluded boutique hotel. I haven't seen it since it opened, but it seems perfect for a honeymoon!

One of the Westins you mentioned on Maui is on the busy side of Black Rock (the side I like, but others prefer more seclusion) and the other is on the other side of Black Rock and is a timeshare resort -- the latter is very nice, but I would think because its condos, it would be more family oriented.
Old Oct 7th, 2014, 11:18 AM

I'd go with Grand Hyatt Kauai, beautiful resort at that time of year the kiddos should be still in school.
Koa Kea may be over your price range and I'm not a big fan of the place anyway. St. Regis is also probably out of your price range plus many of the rooms do not have lanais which is a big showstopper for me. Plus it is expensive (glass of wine $12!).
Not been to Oahu and been a long time since I was last on Maui so will let others comment on those hotels.

You need to decide on an island, then on the hotel or condo. Some of that may depend on the ease or difficulty of reaching Your Island. Some visitors with at least ten nights want to stay on two of the smaller islands or split a stay on a single island.

What are your options for flights to and from Hawaii? My DH and I have been flying Chicago-Hawaii for decades and have spent often two to four weeks on each of the four major islands. I look for a nonstop on a wide-body aircraft for at least the longest leg.

End of April into May is a less-busy, but very pretty time in Hawaii. Any time mainland schools are in session are generally less busy. One way to avoid children is to avoid lodgings that cater to families -- for instance, those with two and three bedroom condos, Kids' Clubs and 'pool parks'. (Grand Wailea and Honua Kai come to mind.)

Which islands appeal to you -- beyond the lodgings? Virtually all visitors rent cars and DIY tour to sights, beaches, restaurants. (You don't need a car within Honolulu, where you can walk or take a taxi for a non-astounding fare because distances are short.) If you do plan a lot of sightseeing and excursions, consider a small condo while you will be 'off property' most of the time. Some honeymooners save a bit that way, then splurge on a Four Seasons type experience before returning home. This would work with the budget you outline. (With $400/night, you need to strike some of the hotels you listed.)

This site has aerials, reviews and rates for almost every lodging in Hawaii: www.hawaiirevealed.com Get familiar with the maps of the islands, too. (For instance, you might not want to stay up at Kapalua on Maui if you plan to do many trips across the island to Hana, Haleakala, Iao Valley.)

Happy planning!

One other thing: There will still be some whales in the ocean off Maui in April.

If I were to honeymoon on Oahu, I would honestly not stay in Waikiki. I much prefer the North Shore, but Turtle Bay seems a bit too far removed for my preference. We love Haleiwa, so I would probably rent a property for 5 days then maybe go 5 days somewhere else and have a resort experience.

http://www.vrbo.com/460595
http://www.vrbo.com/492591

If you go to Kauai, the Grand Hyatt in Poipu is excellent. Again you could consider staying at a rental, and for that I would look through Parish Kauai. I do love the North Shore and it's a bit of a haul from Poipu, so it would be a great idea to split your time between South and North. Kauai is the best island for doing a helicopter ride, as well.

Not on your list in Maui is the new Andaz. From online impressions, it looks less family oriented than some of the other resorts. But I can let you know after we stay there in about 10 days.

The good news is that you can't make a wrong choice!
Old Oct 7th, 2014, 12:32 PM

The Kahala is in a very nice location. Far enough from Waikiki if you like it quiet but close enough to be convenient to Honolulu dining. In Waikiki, Lotus, Hyatt and Trump are not directly on the beach.

All of the islands are family friendly. A few Asian holidays at the end of April/beginning of May will bump up tourist numbers from Japan and China (primarily on Oahu) but otherwise it's an off peak time. Grand Hyatt Kauai also has an extensive pool complex that might attract families.
Old Oct 7th, 2014, 12:34 PM

Waikiki might not be the best spot for a honeymoon, but you'll have a better chance of your budget aligning with your expectations there. Most of the resorts you've listed on the other islands would be budget busters, I think. Rates at Grand Hyatt in Poipu, for example, start at around $500 for your dates. That includes breakfast, but.... Thinking of breakfast, if the $5,000 includes activites AND meals, you might want to rethink how much you're allowing for accommodations. Dining at resorts is expensive, so you should also consider a condo.

I agree with the suggestion of just one island. Traveling between them wastes about a half a day, and it ain't cheap. But I wouldn't dismiss the Big Island out of hand. Based on what you've said you're looking for, it may be your best choice. Have a look at the Mauna Lani or Fairmont Orchid. I don't think you can do much better.
Old Oct 7th, 2014, 12:36 PM

Forgot to add that you'd need to budget for a rental car everywhere except Waikiki.
Old Oct 7th, 2014, 12:47 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes to Royal Hawaiian, no to Trump Tower... if you decide to stay in Waikiki.
Old Oct 7th, 2014, 01:53 PM

Dining at resorts is expensive, so you should also consider a condo.

I do like a condo when I'm on a beach vacation, but even when I stay at a [hotel] resort, I never eat in resort restaurants (overpriced, and often not as good as what you can find "outside").
Old Oct 7th, 2014, 01:54 PM

If you would consider a credit card, the Hyatt Visa will get you two free nights at any Hyatt worldwide. My husband and I each got one, and we got 4 consecutive nights at the Grand Hyatt Kauai.
Old Oct 7th, 2014, 04:54 PM

I am not really a hotel person and prefer condos or home rentals, BUT...

I just checked some sample dates in your time frame. and for the hotels you listed the real bargain to me that jumped out is a "deluxe oceanfront" room at the Sheraton Kauai for $325. It has been redone in the last year or so and the oceanfront rooms are literally right on the ocean. The beach there is really nice and it would be a smaller scale, low key and more laid back experience than most of the hotels you have listed, yet still be very accessible to activities and such.

I love the location of the Wailea Marriott. It actually has what I think is the best location of any hotel in Wailea and many of the rooms have fantastic ocean views. It was built originally as a Hilton or an Intercontinental back in the 70s when land was cheaper, hence it is spread out over a large area and has lots of oceanfront nooks and crannies. There is Ulua Beach on one side and Wailea Beach on the other. My search turned up an ocean view room for around $350. That is a good price for a hotel in Wailea.

The prices at at least half of the hotels your listed are going to be well over your stated budget.
Old Oct 7th, 2014, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all of the replies.

Let me address a few things. We want to stay all 10 days in one place. The budget was more of a placeholder, I already priced all of the places I listed and several of them are in the price range that I am looking for (For the dates we will be there). So I would say the best feedback I'm looking for would be more commenting on each of these resorts or other similar suggestions that might be better for couples/honeymoons.

For example, the feedback of some of the places not being right on the beach is important and will likely eliminate a few of these. And comments regarding family centric places on the list are helpful as well.

I think in terms of amenities and activities we aren't looking to do anything to intense (hiking, helicopter rides, zipline) I think it would be more along the lines of tennis, golf, spa, massage, surfing. Mostly though just a beach to enjoy without hearing kids running around. I think that is the baseline. We like and would probably prefer walking to places rather than renting a vehicle. We like going to markets etc. and would enjoy finding good eats on the island.

I think all these things considered Maui and Kauai are the best match but Oahu too? That's at least the feel I am getting.
Old Oct 7th, 2014, 06:15 PM

You really can't go anywhere outside the resort or resort development on Kauai or Maui without a car.
Old Oct 7th, 2014, 06:41 PM

Why did you decide against the Caribbean? If I were on my honeymoon I would stay at Caneel Bay Resort on St. John. Lots of space to spread out to be virtually alone on several beaches. Scott Beach is adults only. I love it.

My best bet for a honeymoon hotel is on the BI and isn't on your list, so I won't waste your time.

Good luck and congratulations.
Old Oct 7th, 2014, 07:13 PM

Waikiki is really the only place I would stay without a car. Maybe the Kahala if you plan to stay mostly on property and take taxis to/from dinner and rent a car for a day or two. Everywhere else will be an inconvenience.

Were you also considering the Caribbean? If so, there are many more adult only or adult oriented resorts there.
Old Oct 7th, 2014, 07:29 PM

I just read your other thread. If you're foodies, that would also point to Oahu.

Or beach front, non-family centric, good food, walk places... St Barts?
Old Oct 8th, 2014, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Ok I have narrowed the list down a little and added 1 or 2. A couple of these are still over the $400 per night (for the days I have priced) but the rest are in my price range. So any specific feedback on any of the following places would be appreciated. That way I might be able to get a better feel for them. For example, I have looked on the Koa Kea website and it doesn't seem like there is much to that place, why does it get such high reviews? Seems like the Turtle Bay Resort has a lot going on, what is the downside to that place? Are any of these geared more towards families than couples? Are any of these on beaches that will be more crowded or less crowded?

St. Regis Princeville
Andaz Maui
Fairmont Kea Lani
Kahala Hotel & Resort
Koa Kea
Sheraton Maui
Honua Kai
Fairmont Orchid
Westin Princeville Ocean Resort
Wailea Beach Marriott
Hilton Hawaiian Village
Turtle Bay Resort
Sheraton Kauai
Old Oct 8th, 2014, 06:06 AM

Hilton Hawaiian Village is like a city on the beach. It's all-encompassing, but can be very busy. Although one area (I forget the name of the tower) would be better than the other within the resort, it is not what I would choose for a quiet or secluded beach honeymoon. I would say the HHV and Koe Kea are at the exact opposite ends of the spectrum.

So what is it you want - energetic with lots of people around, or secluded?
Old Oct 8th, 2014, 06:56 AM

HHV doesn't feel honeymoonish to me either (I think it's the Kalia tower that's a bit calmer). You would definitely need a rental car at Turtle Bay.

Your choices are quite different in feel from each other. Do you want to be more isolated (North Shore), in a city (Waikiki), in a resort complex (Wailea)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -