help with day in San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm spending a day in San Francisco on Saturday, November 10. As it turns out, my plane lands at 12:10. I'll be staying at the Courtyard Marriot in SOMA.

My plans were to visit Legion of Honor Museum and then head back to SOMA for the Yuerba Buena gardens before night. I'd probably then eat somewhere in SOMA and maybe check out the Metreon before bed.

A few questions:

1) Should I take BART to the hotel first so I can drop my bag off, or would this take too much time to do this and then get to Legion of Honor? I'm not sure how much how time to factor in for transportation, and I'd like a good 3 hours at Legion of Honor.
2) How should I get from hotel to Legion of Honor and vice-versa? It seems that bus 18 is the best.
3) Any ideas for a relatively inexpensive dinner, maybe around $20 or so for entree? I'm not sure if I should eat near Legion of Honor or SOMA.
4) How safe is SOMA at night? Is it okay to walk around Yuerba Gardens or the Meteron?

Thanks.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 05:43 AM

Are you certain your plane will land at 12:10?

What will you do with your bags if you don't drop them off at your hotel?

The schedule you propose would make me nervous even if I were doing it by taxi.

Your post sounds like you've never been to SF before. Have you seen the San Francisco of Modern Art? If not, it's a great place you can visit without getting yourself in a knot.

In any event:

http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mhome/home50.htm
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 08:47 AM
dmlove

What happytrails didn't expressly state is that SF MOMA is walking distance from your hotel and across the street from the Metreon. In other words, if you don't have your heart set on the Legion of Honor Museum , you could do a lot better by just dropping your bag at your hotel, walking out the front door, and wandering around.

Old Oct 10th, 2007, 09:16 AM

1) It will probably take alot of time to go to hotel, then Palace for 3 hours on a bus then bus back to hotel but it is doable. I certainly wouldn't go to the museum with my luggage.

2) Taxi r/t to the Palace is preferable but Bus 18 is certainly more economical.

3) Your hotel has the 4th Street Grill, $20 should cover your dinner there. Another choice is the food court at the Metreon. Sorry to say, but $20 will not go very far towards a dinner in SF.

4) The area around your hotel is safe at night as long as you are aware of your surroundings. There should be plenty of people on the streets on a Saturday night. Both Yerba Buena and the Metreon are OK places to be, you are not in what would be considered a "high crime" area.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 09:53 AM

I have an idea for your dinner, would you like to join us for a GTG on November 10?

The closest BART stop to your hotel is Montgomery. From there, bus 38 or 2 to switch to 18. Pay $1.50 on the first bus, ride the 2nd for free, and don't toss the transfer (ticket), the Legion will give you a discount for riding MUNI.

As for SFMOMA, no offense to the fans, but it's a different museum. Moma is ony contemporary art, while the Legion is the classic place with art, furniture, dishes and what not!
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. My plane could definitely be late, so that is a factor to consider.

I'd have either a backpack or duffle, so it would not be a major burden, but with taking a bus that could be difficult. I was assuming that the Legion had a coat check where a bag could be left. I could always just duck into hotel for a minute to check in and drop bag, as I'm pretty close to a BART station.

I was aware that MoMa was right by my hotel, but to be honest I am much more interested in Legion. I think I'll also be in SF on that Monday, as my flight leaves kind of late, so I could do MoMa then (as Legion and most other museums are closed).

Thanks for the GTG invite. Let me think about it. If I don't go, I was considering between:

Le Charm
South Park Cafe
Fringale

Any thoughts?
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 07:09 PM
SAB

My favorite of the 3 is Le Charm because it is moderately priced. I haven't been to Fringale in a very long time but it and South Park are nice bistros.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. All 3 seemed pretty reasonably-priced to me.