Help with D.C. hotels

Nov 2nd, 2008, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Help with D.C. hotels

My husband and I will be in Washington DC for 3 full days the first week in June. We are Hilton and Starwood members and we need to use our points for accomodations.

I've researched the different Hilton and Starwood hotels and I think my head is going to explode. I have narrowed the possibilities to the following because of their proximity to the Metro and/or to the places we plan to visit and because of the great reviews they received on TripAdvisor:
** St. Regis Washington DC (a Starwood hotel)
** Garden Inn/Franklin Sq. (a Hilton hotel)
** Embassy Suites Hotel Convention Center (Hilton hotel)

The places we plan to visit:
** The American History Museum
** Space and Air Museum
** Arlington Cemetery
** After dinner, we will visit the FDR, Vietnam, Lincoln, Women in the Service, Washington Monuments and Memorials

I'd appreciate any input as to which hotel you would choose and why.
Nov 2nd, 2008, 01:05 PM

My first thought is that you're comparing a 5 star hotel (St Regis) to 3 star hotels (both of the Hilton brands).

If you have the points, I'd go for the 5 star.
Nov 4th, 2008, 09:28 AM

The St Regis isn't a five star hotel, only a four star by any measure usually used (Mobil or whatever). HOwever, it should be nicer than the others -- I would choose it or the Hilton Garden Inn, and they aren't that far apart. That Hilton is in a very convenient location, close to a metro and even walking distance to the mall, etc. I used to work just a block or two away, it's a decent area. The St Regis is on K, as I recall, which is more a main thoroughfare, but that probably doesn't matter too much. I'd prefer the Garden Inn for location a bit, but both are fine.

I wouldn't even consider the Embassy Stes at the Convention Center with that choice, not sure why you picked it. I don't think it's that close to a metro stop, and that area is nowhere I'd want to stay (I think it's around 10th a K St). The hotel can't be nicer than the others, just avg.
Nov 4th, 2008, 11:33 AM

St Regis is recently renovated, I think, and should be several levels of luxury above the other two. Just compare the hotels' websites and you see a huge difference in atmosphere, decor, etc. I'd certainly give St Regis a try if I had the points. It is nicely located, too, only two blocks from the White House and two Metro stations (Red line at Farragut North and Blue/Orange at McPherson).
Nov 7th, 2008, 09:46 AM

I based my star ratings on how Trip Advisor has these hotels listed.
Nov 7th, 2008, 06:54 PM

The only advantage to the Embassy Suites would be the free breakfast if funds are short. Otherwise, the St Regis wins hands down. The HGI is OK, literally across from a metro stop but not nearly as nice as the St. Regis which is only a couple blocks away.