Phila-hotel recommendation-no car

Nov 3rd, 2008, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Phila-hotel recommendation-no car

My husband, 2 teens, and I are planning to be in Philadelphia for 2 nights at the end of December. We will NOT have a car. Which hotel would be good for us?
Nov 3rd, 2008, 07:12 PM

Philadelphia is a city where a car is not only unnecessary but would actually be a burden. Any lodging in center city or the university district will be sufficiently close to mass transit to permit quick access to everything you could see in a two day visit.

I definitely recommend AGAINST staying at any airport lodging for any stay longer than a day.
Nov 4th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Jed

Where you should stay depends on what you want to do.
Nov 4th, 2008, 07:50 AM

Philadelphia is quite walkable. There is very little a tourist would want to see or do that is not accessible by foot, public transportation (subway/bus/Phlash) or quick cab ride from any hotel described as being in Center City, Rittenhouse, Ben Franklin Parkway, Old City, "historic area," Society Hill, or Washington Square West/Gayborhood. You will not want or need your car to visit the city.

I would not stay at an airport hotel or in the suburbs (PA or NJ).
I would also think twice about staying on Penn's campus/West Philadelphia because of convenience.

If you have questions about specific hotels beofre you book, though, please let us know.
Nov 4th, 2008, 12:56 PM

I vote for the Holiday Inn Express on Market and Walnut.It is an easy ride on the Septa R1 train from the airport to Market St. station and then a two block walk to the hotel. This hotel is within easy walking distance of the historic district and numerous restaurants. They also provide an excellent free hot breakfast each morning. Go to Trip Advisor and check it out.
Nov 4th, 2008, 12:57 PM

That is to say the " Holiday Inn Express Midtown "
Nov 4th, 2008, 01:02 PM

We recently stayed at the Omni Hotel in Old City. It was lovely, and they had a great weekend rate (app. $200/night). I was expecting a tiny room, but it was quite large, with a king-sized bed and a pullout couch.

The hotel is in the historic area and you can walk to just about anything you'd like to see. If you like sweets, don't miss Shane's Candy Shop and the Franklin Fountain.

I would highly recommend the Omni.
Nov 6th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

We are planning to arrive in Philadelphia at the 30th St Station at 11 pm at night (arriving on the MegaBus from NYC). What is the hotel that would be easiest/nearest for us and our two teen girls? Thanks!
Nov 6th, 2008, 07:29 PM

The Market-Frankford subway (aka the "Blue Line") is right at 30th Street and runs till about 1 am. It's perfectly safe, as long as you exercise the usual precautions -- as is pretty much the entire area where hotels are. You can get tokens from the vending machines at the station (cash ONLY); with two tokens costing $2.90 (it gives change). All hotels are a block or two from Market Street, so just ride the Blue Line to the exit with the numbered street close to your hotel, and you'll be just a minute away.
Nov 6th, 2008, 07:48 PM

There are some good hotels in Philadelphia. I had found a list for myself during my visit there.
http://www.boorah.com/restaurants/Re...adelphia,%20PA.

Hope it would help.
Nov 6th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

THANKS!
Nov 6th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

Dear emilyjhon,
Thanks for the link, but it was for restaurants, not for hotels.
Nov 7th, 2008, 04:28 AM

There aren't any hotels that are really walkable from 30th St., if that's what you're thinking. Unless perhaps you are staying in the University area which is close by. But taxis are readily available to take you anywhere you decide to stay.
Nov 7th, 2008, 04:35 AM

We took the megabus into Philly from NYC a few weeks ago. They have another stop at 6th and Market. We stayed in the Center City area at Alexander Inn for part of the week and then at the Independent Hotel. Both were only okay but the location was great. If you are in Center City you can walk to the historical area and Rittenhouse Square. We walked to the Art Museum too, but in December it might be rather cold to walk that far.
Nov 7th, 2008, 06:35 AM

Agree that you should get off the MegaBus at 6th & Market (which will shave about 10 minutes off your travel time). Lots of hotels within walk/inexpensive cab ride distance but Holiday Inn Historic District, Omni or Society Hill Sheraton are some that would be closest. If you end up with a hotel near the convention center (e.g., Hilton Garden, Courtyard, Loews) or Rittenhouse Square (e.g., Raddison, Westin), I would take a cab at 11pm just because you don't want to be dealing with luggage while walking or using public transportation at night.
Nov 7th, 2008, 07:27 AM

On our first trip to Philadelphia we stayed at the Holiday Inn at 4th & Arch st. This is across the street from the mint and only a couple of blocks from the historical section. I cant remember the cost, but seemed reasonable at the time.
Nov 7th, 2008, 07:38 PM

I stayed at the Marriott last month - it was in a good location to walk to most things. I definately would not recommend a car. I was there with my eleven year old dd. We went to the historic area, had tea at the four seasons, went to the art museum - we did take a cab for that..