Help with Big Island Plans

Mar 11th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Help with Big Island Plans

We are planning a trip to the Big Island (6 nights) over the holidays this year. We have been trying to narrow down where to stay, but I am still very confused and hoped to get some advice from those who have been before.
We are a family of 7 (husband and I, 6 month old baby, 2 mothers, 2 brothers, and grandma) traveling together so not only do we need large enough accommodations, but everyone has their own interests and we will likely divide ways. We want to have easy access to a nice beach, would like to spend a day exploring the volcano (no one hikes except my brothers), brothers want to get dive certified, we want to see the waterfalls, snorkel and explore the island (but also spend time at the beach). With a baby, we don't want to move accommodations in the middle.
We have been considering staying in Waikoloa. Will this make a good base or should we consider a different area? Any specific recommendations would be much appreciated.
Mar 11th, 2008, 09:33 AM

Maybe you should reconsider moving accomodations as Big Island is so large and it's not quick to get around.
Try to stay a couple of nights on the East side of the island (Hilo/Volcano)so you can see the volcano and waterfalls on that side and spend the rest on the Kohala coast.

Otherwise it would be easier if someone stayed 'home' with the baby rather than taking the baby on a long 'daytrip' to the volcano from the Kohala coast.
Mar 11th, 2008, 11:11 AM

you can't bring the baby to the volcano- the fumes are hazardous to infants.

double check on this, but i think that is so.

kerikeri
Mar 11th, 2008, 12:23 PM

There are about 10 sites that you can use for Big Island. Ignore the Oahu info:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34812564
Mar 11th, 2008, 12:47 PM

We split our time on the island between the Hapuna Beach Prince and the Kilauea Lodge for volcano time. You'd have to each get your own rooms, but we loved both of them. I'd consider splitting your time since the island is so big; for us, it was less hassle in the long run.
Mar 11th, 2008, 01:31 PM

I don't think they ban babies at the volcano but the fumes are hazardous to everyone and there are warnings especially near the 'vents'.
Asthmatics, pregnant women and young children are warned to stay clear of the vent areas.
Mar 11th, 2008, 02:17 PM

I agree with Volcanogirl. Stay at the Hapuna and in Volcano Village to make life easier. I would not take my infant near the fumes either.
Mar 11th, 2008, 02:53 PM

I agree with previous posters in regards in leaving the infant and young children away from the fumes. It's best to be safe and not worth chancing it.

Search this Thread