Search

BIG ISLAND

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2003, 09:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BIG ISLAND

I HAVE NEVER BEEN TO THE BIG ISLAND AND WANTED TO KNOW IS IT EASY GETTING FROM ONE SIDE TO THE OTHER? KAUAI AND MAUI I KNOW ARE EASY BUT I HAVE NO CLUE ON THE BIG ISLAND. WHAT IS THE BEST HOTEL AS WELL ON THE BI? ALSO WHICH IS THE BI MORE LIKE KAUAI, OAHU OR MAUI?
Old Oct 11th, 2003, 05:15 AM

HEY BERTARON,
Here is a link with map and driving times for the Big Island:http://www.nps.gov/havo/ppmaps/map%2Ehtm
You will need to rent a car to get around the BI.
The Travel Channel considers the BI 4Seasons to be the #1 Hawaiian resort.

The Big Island is the only hawaiian island with an active volcano, it is unique and has less people than Oahu and Maui, yet is also by far the largest island and still growing. I think it offers the most diverse terrain and climate of the four islands you mentioned. Other posters here have stated: "The Big Island has everything".

P.S. Suggest you switch of the CAPITAL LETTERS, some interpret this to be SHOUTING.
Old Oct 11th, 2003, 08:33 AM

I would suggest staying on the Kohala Coast (Hapuna Prince, Mauna Kea, Mauna Lani, or 4 Seasons would be my suggestions) and drive over to the other side. While the drive is easy and very scenic (especially the Northern route), I would also encourage you to consider spending a night in Hilo or down by the volcano. The reason being it is approximately 2-3 hrs (depending on stops, picture taking, etc) from Kohala to crater area. The big island is nothing like Maui or Kauai (for the most part) and that's what makes it such a different and exciting island. Enjoy!
Old Oct 11th, 2003, 10:07 AM

We got back from the BI a few days ago. We stayed at the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel for a week and I would definitely recommend it. The beach is beautiful, service is great, and the employees were the most pleasant hotel staff I have ever encountered. We drove to Hilo and Volcano Natl Park and found the drive to be no big deal, and very scenic. Enjoy.
Old Oct 11th, 2003, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

I greatly appreciate all the information. Thanks and don't be so sensitive to the CAPS....