Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is the Big Island a good compromise for myself and husband?

Old Apr 13th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

I loved Kuai. I love that is it easy to get all over the island since it is small. I loved the beauty of the place, and the beaches. We missed the boat, literally for the Napali coast which disappointed me tremondously, so i want to go back.

My husband loved Maui. He loved the four seasons, the food, and the spa at the grand wailea. He hated the road to hana, and found the drive to be stressful. I found it beautiful.

So, my thought is to get the best of both in a different island. Am I crazy to think there is one that will make us both happy? I showed hubby the four seasons on the big island and he seems interested. However, I do not know if my perception of the island is correct.

We want good food, beautiful scenery, beautiful beaches, choices of many activities, but minimal driving. We also want a totally luxurious hotel, with top notch service, and a great view and pool.

Will we both be disappointed that we are not back at our respective favorite islands? Will I miss kauai and he maui?
Any other suggestions?
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 08:59 AM

You did not say when you want to go to Hawaii. Check on the 'vog' conditions. That is volcano fog that is causing a large portion of the island to be evacuated right now. Jean
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 09:11 AM

You did not say when you want to go to Hawaii. Check on the 'vog' conditions. That is volcano fog that is causing a large portion of the island to be evacuated right now.

Not true at all. The Volcano National Park was the ONLY area evacuated and ONLY for two days. That is NOT a large portion of the island. Yes there's vog in places around the island but NOT in dangerous levels enough to evacuate large portions of the island. The area around the Four Seasons is relatively unaffected.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 09:38 AM

We went to Maui for our honeymoon, and for our next trip we did Kauai and the BI. I didn't think we'd really like BI, but we researched it a bit and decided to go for it. We really loved it. We stayed at the Hapuna Beach Prince, and it had the prettiest beach. Also loved seeing Volcanoes National Park; when we were there, you were able to hike out to see the lava flow at night, and that was a huge thrill. Also Akaka Falls is the more gorgeous waterfall I've ever seen, so the island does have a lot to offer. I wouldn't say there's minimal driving though; we spent a lot of time driving from place to place because things are so far apart, and the island is huge.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 10:02 AM

"..minimal driving..."

You do realize that the BI is BIG. To see the diversity the island and all it has to offer you will need to drive a fair amount.

If you just want to relax at a resort and not see much of the island then the FS or Kona Village might be worth checking into. The Mauna Kea Beach Hotel reopens towards the end of this year, so if the timing is right that might be an option too. The beach there is incomparable.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 01:02 PM

Hi - We went to Maui and Kauai on our Honeymoon and back to Maui and BI last year. We love all the islands but were really impressed with the BI. We didn't feel it was as commercialized as Maui and we loved the different scenery and terrain. We stayed at the Fairmont Orchid which is now our absolutely favorite hotel in the world! We can't wait to go back. I think based on what you posted that you will both like it.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 01:02 PM

Local clarification on VOG. Only serious health problems are at/near the park. However the VOG has been very bad all over the Big Island since early March. Visibility often looks like L.A. It feels like smog in the lungs too.

We live on Kauai but love the Big Island. I think its a great idea for a compromise. Personally, the hotel I like best is Hapuna Prince.

You can drive a ton on the Big Island or you can hang on the north Kohala coast from Kona to Waimea, which is divine.

Aloha, Jeff
beatofhawaii.com
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 01:13 PM

Jeff,

Could you please post any additional info you may have about VOG? We are planning a trip to the Big Island in July, and three of us have asthma. Thanks!
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 01:18 PM

Local clarification on VOG. Only serious health problems are at/near the park. However the VOG has been very bad all over the Big Island since early March. Visibility often looks like L.A.

Again NOT true. There has been virtually no VOG on the east side of the island except for a day or two last week when the Kona winds were blowing. Trade winds are back to normal and the skies around Hilo, Pahoa, Kapoho etc. are crystal clear. The trade winds blow the VOG towards Kona and that side of the island and they have the poor visibility
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 04:27 PM

My husband and I just got back from a week on the Big Island. Although we really enjoyed, it you should be forwarned that the drive along the entire Kohala Coast is Not beautiful scenery. It is massive hardened black lava flows. Each resort is a bit of an oasis, but it is nothing like Kauai (also my favorite island). To see really beautiful scenery you will have to drive!

I'm not one to fly 3,000 miles (I live in LA) and stay put at one resort. We really enjoyed having 5 nights at Hapuna Beach and two nights near the volcanos, as the drive in between (northern route) was very scenic. Not at all stressfull roads are great and not winding at all.

Old Apr 20th, 2008, 04:48 PM

Like most Hawaiians, I prefer Oahu.
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 04:56 PM

I find the lava flows gorgeous. Not rainforest tropical, perhaps, but gorgoues. (Except for the idiotic piles of dead white coral everywhere, spelling out everything from memorials to vulgarities similar to bathroom door humor.)
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 04:57 PM

oops, gorgeous.
Is there a poll of Hawaians ascertaining that Oahu is the favorite?
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 06:12 PM

I would think that most 100% Hawaiians would prefer Ni'ihau since the Hawaiian culture is the only culture practiced on the island.