Help with Anchorage hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are first time travellers to Alaska from the UK with children aged 11 and 13. We are staying in Anchorage for one night before renting an RV. The kids would love a hotel with a pool, so I have narrowed it down to some possibilites - Hawthorn Suites, Clarion Suites, Comfort Inn Ship Creek or Fairfield Inn. Anyone got any recommendations? are there restaurants nearby?
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 01:54 PM

You may want to check www.tripadvisor to see if there are any reviews there.
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip I'll take a look.
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 02:49 PM

I checked it out as well. The Hampton Inn has a higher popularity rating than the ones you mentioned. I like Hamptons better than the chains you mentioned. Every one I've been to has a pool - and they have a good complimentary breakfast.

The Hampton Inn's 100% guarantee must be working. I've never had a bad room experience at a Hampton.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 05:16 AM

Will you have a car?? The problem with the Hampton is the location, you ideally need a car, not in a tourist area or downtown. I would also consider a hotel that offers airport transportation since your RV will most likely be picked up near there? Are you planning any touring that first day? Where? My point being if you do not have a car, I would pick something in those locations.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info so far.We arrive around lunch time on the sunday and pick up our RV monday afternoon from Cruise America in Anchorage. Hopefully we can get see somethings, posssibly the zoo, but we will be spending the night in Anchorage before we fly home.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 05:34 PM

Skip the zoo. Go see the Alaska Art & History museum downtown instead...
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 06:53 AM
jq

Lets try this again!! We have stayed at Hawthorne Suites several nights on to trips. Nice large units, expanded continental breakfast, free shuttle, and good deal, at least before June 1st when rates doubled. I think it was $79-89 before that. There is a Benihana next door and you are only a few blocks from main downtown.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 07:05 AM

I'd also advise against the Hampton because of its location. If you only want a place to sleep it's fine, but the location isn't very convenient. Hawthorne is within an easy stroll downtown.

Can't comment on the rooms at any of theses places, however.

Don't hit the zoo with high expectations.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Have checked out the Hawthorne Suites they look good but pricey - $240 a night - probably because we are arriving at the end of August. The Comfort Inn at ship Creek is more reasonable, but it has mixed reviews and not sure how close it is to downtown.
My kids would love to see some American sport, ice hockey, football? Anyone know whats in season at this time of the year?
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 09:54 AM

There's a semi-pro baseball team in Anchorage, but I think the season ends in early August. No ice hockey that I know of and Anchorage doesn't have a football team. Check the local sports schedule in the Anchorage paper, though, as softball, soccer, rugby, lacrosse, etc. are all popular and are played by local leagues in the local parks.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 08:10 PM

Baseball will be done by then. It's not really semi-pro, it's a summer league for mostly top college players including guys like Mark McGwire and Dave Winfield.

But high school football will be in full swing and is fun to watch. It starts earlier there because of the short season.

If you head down to the stadium, which is centrally located in Anchorage, you could catch a game or a practice. The field is right next to the main hockey arena and two smaller rinks (Ben Boeke Arena).

If you pop into the smaller rinks, there'll very likely be hockey of some form being played.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 06:53 AM
jq

I checked expedia for Hawthorne Suites in mid Aug and got $220 which really sounds high compared to last Aug when we were there. I think Sep 1st, rates went to $127. There might be special on other sites.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 12:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. We have decide to book the Hawthorn Suites,despite the price. Probably do the zoo(!) plus museum,on the way back, and try and catch some sport. I'm sure we'll have a great time.