Anchorage hotel near train depot

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We arrive at ANC late evening, and need a hotel for one night before taking the early morning train to Seward. Do you have any recommendations for a convenient hotel where we can also walk a bit at night, especially to a casual restaurant? I appreciate any suggestions.
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 09:25 AM

The Anchorage Hilton is probably the closest - one downhill block. The Seraton is almost as close and there are also several lower cost motels in the downtown area.
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 11:28 AM

The Anchorage Grand, This is the pink bldg right above the train station. There is only a grassy hill inbetween. I found it most convenient and the room is more of a mini apt/suite, not a single hotel room. Nothing fancy, fairly priced I thought
Old May 5th, 2010, 08:04 AM

If it's still there, there was a Comfort Inn about 2 blocks away.
Old May 5th, 2010, 08:11 AM

We just did research on this and the Comfort Inn got much better reviews on Tripadvisor than the Hilton did, and it's cheaper too, and breakfast is included.
Old May 5th, 2010, 09:19 AM

Unless its improved considerably in the last few years, the Comfort Inn would be low on my list of possible hotels. Even though its only a few blocks away, the area of town its in is questionable. Its also a low-rise on a busy street and when I stayed there, there was considerable noise filtering in. As I remember it, there was nothing wrong with the room - just its location.
Old May 5th, 2010, 12:57 PM

I stayed at the Comfort Inn-Ship's Creek a few years ago and it was fine. In fact, I liked it.

It was located right on Ship's Creek and there was a restaurant nearby and a few shops. I thought the location was fine, especially for only overnight. It was an easy 2 block walk to the train station.
I arrived from Seward late in the evening and even tho' the hotel was sending a van to pick me up at the station, I could actually see the hotel from the station and just walked over.

BTW, the trains don't run late at night so you don't have to worry about noise.
Old May 5th, 2010, 01:09 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I've stayed at the Comfort Inn a couple of times but only because my usual digs, the former Hawthorn Suites, now Clarion Suites on the Park Strip downtown was full.

The location is convenient for the train, but it's a little walk up the hill to downtown, and I've heard trains at night (which in July is a pretty short period BTW) as the locos shuttled around the switchyards.

Hotels are pricey in Anchorage in peak season; but for just one night I'd probably suck it up and stay someplace in the heart of downtown. In the morning you're five minutes by cab from the train station no matter where you sleep.
Old May 5th, 2010, 02:11 PM

We really liked the Anchorage Grand. It's great location for the train station, restaurants and shops, and it's not the usual chain motel/hotel. The rooms are a nice size, even large by most standards. I'd certainly stay there again.
Old May 5th, 2010, 02:38 PM

panecott, I think I know the restaurant you mentioned--it spanned Ship Creek. It was an interesting concept with good food--now closed.

If you (op) take Gardyloo's suggestion, there are several hotels up on the three main streets--varying prices, and most may seem somewhat highly priced. The cream of the crop is the Hotel Captain Cook. Even if you don't stay there, you should walk through.

There is a b&b Copper Whale? I think--located right next door to Simon and Seaforts--great restaurant. However, it's RIGHT on the sidewalk and a main street corner--must be noisy.
Old May 6th, 2010, 08:39 AM

hopingtotravel, yes, that's the restaurant. Sorry to hear it closed.