Rooms in Alaska- Seward, Homer, Anchorage, Talkeeetna

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2006, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone share their experiences as far as accomodations go and give some names of places they have stayed in that they liked and meet the following criteria:

Accomodates 2 adults, 2 kids ( 7 ,9 yrs) and a baby

Kitchen attached or full breakfast provided

in

Homer
Seward
Anchorage
Denali or Talkeetna

and $ cost for these.

Thanks
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 08:50 AM

How much are you willing to spend? $100.00 or $500.00?
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

around $150 per night
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 10:40 AM

Near Denali we stayed at the Denali Lakeview Inn in Healy. They have a few large suites that would accomodate your group and they provide breakfast plus the suites have a small kitchen area. The Inn is located on Otto lake in a very quiet and peaceful setting with great views from the balcony. It's only about 10 mins from the entrance to Denali NP and is away from all the hustle and bustle. I believe the suites were about $175 but many of their rooms are in the $150 range.

In Seward we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express. It had just opened in July 2005 so it was still very new. They do not have suites there but they do provide breakfast. I believe we paid about $150. We also looked into the Harbor View Inn. I think they have suites/apts that would accomodate you but they were booked when we inquired.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 10:47 AM

The only one I can really help with is Homer. I like Land's End Resort. They have cottage/kitchen units, I believe, which they built a few years ago. They have the best location in Homer, so they're one of the more expensive. But they have alot of units, so if you call them, you might find a good price. I have some pictures of the place on my website: http://www.alaska.org/homer/lands-end-resort.jsp

In Talkeetna, there used to be a really nice B&B that Roberta Sheldon owned, but I don't think she rents it out anymore. It was just off Main St. It might be worth checking with K2 Aviation or someone in town who could tell you whether she's still renting it.

Bob
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 11:13 AM

bokill

Talkeetna
we stayed at Eye of Denali Inn, booked through Talkeetna Travel. The Denali suite is really very spacious, with a bedroom with one double bed and a very large living room with a double sofabed for our kids and large kitchen and plenty of additional room for kids to play. Also the outside setting of the log house is really nice. We strongly recommend this place, just one minute drive before the village, just crossed the railroad on the left, on the riverbanks. $ 126.00 only, including selfmade breakfast food in the fridge.

Denali
For the lodging we had fixed 2 nights (Denali deserves much more !!) at Denali Park Hotel, some miles north from the entrance, near Healy.Denali Park Hotel is not bad at all but I still wonder which is the difference from that hotel and an average motel: no restaurant and all rooms on ground floor with external access !! $ 127.33

Seward.
Strongly recommend Holiday Inn express for the perfect location within walking distance to the cruise dock to Northwesternfjords cruise. 2 double beds + you may add a baby coat.

Homer.
We discourage people to go where we stayed, at The Hermitage Hotel. Sorry but I cannot recommend other lodging as we did not look around enough. We just syated there 2 nights for the bearviewing trip and then back to Anchorage

Anchorage.
The Longhouse hotel, having also a free shuttle from/to the airport if you still have to pick up your car or just.
The largest room I have ever seen !!
2 double beds + a lot of extra space for baby coats or for letting children play ! I recommend this.
I did not check the toursaver for 2006 but this property was included last year, but you have to stay at least 2 consecutive nights over there.

hope this helped.

fabio

Old Jan 12th, 2006, 12:06 PM

The only accommodation I can comment on that meets your criteria is the Lands End Lodges in Homer. One of the other posters already mentioned this option, but I wanted to comment that it was one of my favorite places that I've ever stayed. The units are really more appropriately described as townhouses and are very clean and modern, and the location on the tip of the Homer Spit is second to none. They are pricey though. The unit we rented was about $300 per night, but I think there were others that were less expensive. If you're going to splurge at all on your trip, this is the place to do it.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the responses everyone!

Eye of Denali - Talkeetna looks great
does it have a full kitchen?

Anchorage: LongHouse Hotel looks great. .do they have breakfast included?

Homer: anyone heard of Vista View B&B?

Seward: not sure yet

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 12:23 AM

Re: Homer and Vista View
We stayed there two years ago. Room was very small, I cannot imagine 2 adults, 2 kids and a baby having enough room to fit in. Hostess was always in a bad mood.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 06:12 AM

Be careful at Lands End Resort. The newer units are fine (but very expensive), while the older units are dumps (and not cheap).
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 09:05 AM

I suggest you do a search on this board of the cities and the hotels/B & B's you are considering. That's how we learned a lot about the places we stayed last summer. Here are the ones we loved and HIGHLY recommend:

Denali: Denali Lakeview in Healy. Breakfast, frig & toaster oven in room, most comfy beds ever, excellent views of Lake Otto (moose, swans, loons), and they even let you use their washer, dryers, and detergent.

Homer: Alaskan Suites--a little over your budget, but if you are fishing for salmon or halibut, you can grill right on your porch with a killer view. Very nice cabins, kitchen, plasma tv, and very comfortable. The view alone is worth the cost! Halibut fishing was one of the highlights of our trip!

Seward: We didn't stay in Seward, but we did like the looks and location of the new Holiday Express. We stayed at the Kenai Princess. Sure hope you are planning to take the NW Fjords boat tour out of Seward. Seeing a humpback breach was one of the highlights of our trip!

Good luck, and enjoy your trip!
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 01:22 PM

yes Eye of Denali has full kitchen.
We were assigned to the downstairs apartment. Chech with the agent how the upper level looks like
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 02:59 PM

Anchorage Long House Hotel: yes continental breakfast was included but to be honest that was just a small room with some pastries tea coffee, juice and a few seats available. But we managed it anyway. We were very impressed for the extra spacious room !
We just stayed there one night only and we could not use toursaver coupons but with toursaver I think it is a very big deal.
Just two more things about the toursaver combined with lodging in general.
1) Always mention the toursaver discount at first time of reservation as they might have some restrictions even though they have rooms available.
2) They apply ONE FULL RACK rate for a TWO nights stay. This means that without the toursaver you would spend less than the double as they cannot combine two discounts together. Example: The Long House Hotel has a toursaver coupon value of $ 189 valid for 2 nights, so it makes $ 94,50 each as average, but it might be that without toursaver you would spend for example approx $ 150 x 2 = $ 300 total. Toursaver makes you save anyway a lot of money and it is anyway a good deal but do not expect to pay one DISCOUNTED rate for a 2 nights stay !
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 04:15 AM

Why not thinking about renting an RV?

We made a 3 weeks trip through Alaska (after 4weeks NP Canada) and I can only advice you to compare prices with carrental+accommodation.

May be at first you will think it being expensive, but in my opinion there is no better way.
And even if it would cost you a bit more (I doubt it), the benefits are worth the double!

The freedom in traveling and the luxury of having a toilet(!) and shower, cooking facil., fridge, food, bed at your disposition, at any moment, and where the children are able to read, play, while driving...
No dragging luggage, no packing(in & out) and most of all, the possib. of improvisation where to sleep, visits, having a meal, unforget.campfires, no stress or rush...Need I say more?

And if you decide to go for it, feel free to ask me for more information, tips...

Our Alaska trip started and stopped in Anchorage and went to Homer, Chinitna & Hallo Bay(Katmai): wilderness and beartrip (with Alaska Bear Adventures!!!), Seward (Kenai cruise), Whittier to Valdez (Alaska Marine ferry), Richardson Hwy, Glenn Hwy, Palmer, Wasilla, Talkeetna, Denali NP, Fairbanks...

Hope this was helpfull...
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 08:15 AM

The original post is from 2006- bet the info is not longer needed.
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 09:37 AM

2006 of course...
Confusion with other question.