Reload this Page >

Help w/3 day NYC itinerary in Oct.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 04:22 AM
Laura

Family of 4 planning a weekend vist. I would love to hear any suggestions for hotels,dining,attractions,museums,shows,
transportation,etc. Children are ages 11 and 13.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 05:37 AM
Alan

Hi, Laura!
I'm just a visitor to New York myself, so I am sure a native could advise much better than I, but certainly your kids will love a half-day at the Museum of Natural History. And if you're one of those people who would rather spend their money on seeing the city than on being insulated from it in a five-star hotel, may I suggest you have a look at the website for the Madison Hotel, on 27th and Madison. A couple of days ago, they were still advertising family rooms for $88 (we paid this last Christmas, and it even included breakfast!) Not a bad area, and our room faced the street, so we couldn't have been happier. The site is www.madison-hotel.com. Whatever you decide to do, you will love New York... do cities get any better than this?

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 08:19 AM
Howard

One definitely stop should be the American Museum of Natural History. The planetarium show is must. The rest of the museum should also be on your children's A list.
As for hotels, restaurants, etc., give us an idea of how much you want to spend, etc.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 12:15 PM
patty

I have a younger child so I'm not really sure what the older kids like (also are your children boys or girls?) At any rate everyone agrees that the Museum of Natural History/Rose Center is a must (amnh.org). In addition to the space show, the Imax is back and the butterflies are back on 10/5. The upper west side around the museum is a great place to look for family restaurants - anywhere on Columbus or Amsterdam that looks good to your family. Let us know if you need the names of specific restaurants.

Other indoor activities can be the Sony Wonder Technology Lab (sonywondertechlab.com) on 55th and Madison where they have afternoon weekend workshops for kids; the Museum of the City of NY (mcny.org) has an exhibit on NYC children's art of 9/11 which may be interesting to your family; and, as always, the Metropolitan Museum (metmuseumorg) which has a Gauguin exhibit thru 10/20, an Arms & Armor exhibit and the rooftop garden with giant sculptures (which may or may not be open).

As for shows, there are the usual off- and on-Broadway possibilities (Stomp, Aida, De La Guarda, etc.) You can also check out the New Victory Theatre (newvictory.org). They have one show through 10/13 and another (with dancers, rappers & DJs) starting on 10/18. Available shows are probably limited and may be too young for your oldest. One show (advertised for 10 years old and up) that I've heard about is at the WWE (World Wrestling something) in Times Square - a magic show called Mindfreak by CrissAngel (crissangel.com). It looks too scary for my little one so we haven't seen it.

If the weather is nice, go to Central Park by all means. Centralparknyc.org lists the activities available, like renting rowboats, or walking through the Rambles or the Conservatory Garden. Belvedere Castle at 79th St in the middle of the park and the Dana Discovery Center at 110th St and Fifth Ave have workshops and activities usually.

If your kids like doing activities, they can also rent a bike in Central Park or go to Chelsea Piers (chelseapiers.com) where NYC kids go to ice skate indoors, use the batting cage, golf, bowl, etc.

Another park to consider might be Rockefeller Park down in Battery Park City (BPCParks.org). Their teen activities are on Mondays (art) & Tuesdays (drumming) at 4pm and not on the weekends but I find it wonderful to go there on a beautiful day and marvel at everyone there, considering 9/11 was only a year ago. There's a great view and a great lawn and might be a place to consider if you're walking around way downtown.

Have fun in NYC!

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 03:37 PM
Laura

Thanks to Alan, Howard and Patty for some great feedback. As for our budget,I was hoping to keep our hotel rate around $150.00. Location is top priority. Also, what would be the best way to get around? Are tickets still required to view the WTC?