Reload this Page >

NYC Museum Choices with 7 year old and 12 year old

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2002, 03:58 PM
terri

I am trying to determine which museums in NYC would be best to take in during our 4 day trip this July. With the itenerary I am working on, I am thinking Sat. will be our "museum and Central Park" day. Which of the museums- Metropolitan Museum of Art, Am. Museum of Natural History or The Children's Museum of Manhattan would be best to include for a 7 year old girl and 12 year old boy? I want to be able to spend some time in CP and don't want to overdo the museums. Should we only do one or is it a mistake to not include all three?( We could maybe work one in on Sunday- the day we leave if so)We also have tickets for a Broadway Sat. night. Do you think I am overdoing it that day? There is SO much to do and so little time Many thanks for all of your advice!

Old May 20th, 2002, 04:41 PM
Ted

American Museum of Natural History gets my vote. Space stuff, dinosaurs, lots of animals -- can't go wrong.

Also be sure not to miss Belvedere Castle in Central Park, not far from the museum. Climbing to the top of the castle is a real crowd-pleaser.

Old May 20th, 2002, 04:52 PM
Statia

Terri:

I agree with Ted...History Museum for sure, and perhaps Children's Museum. I think that a lot of kids would be bored at the Met, but I could be mistaken. I was at the History Museum in April, and there were lots of kids there at that time.

I don't think you can fit all three museums into one day, so I'd plan on only one or two myself. You could always work one in on Sunday, like you said.

Of course you can't miss a Broadway show. Perhaps you could have an early dinner, and rest up at the room a bit before the show. That way, the kids aren't falling asleep halfway thru it.

Regarding "overdoing it," I don't think so, but I don't travel with children either. I always tend to have LOTS of plans for NYC and only get to about 3/4 of them. You'll probaby find yourself getting sidetracked and doing the same.

Have a great time in the Big Apple!

Old May 20th, 2002, 08:50 PM
barb

I would definitely opt for Central Park and the Metropolitan. Plenty to entertain both of your kids for the better part of a day, and it's free! (Donations are welcome, of course) An additional suggestion: Before you go, have your kids read the wonderful book, "The Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler" by E.L. Konisberg. It's about a brother and sister who run away to New York to stay at the Metropolitan Museum and solve a mystery. Your kids will enjoy the book and it will make the museum come alive for them. Have a great trip.

Old May 20th, 2002, 08:59 PM
patty

I'd skip CMOM for older kids - 7 or 8 is probably the very oldest age who would be interested and they're usually there because they have younger siblings.

Natural History is great - the baseball exhibit will still be open, as well as the new Space Show in the Rose Center.

I waver back and forth as to whether the Met would be interesting. If your children have read "The Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler" then a trip there would be warranted. There's also the oversized Oldenburg sculptures on the roof garden, a major Gauguin exhibit and the all-time faves of the Temple of Dendur, American Wing and arms & armor.

You can start off at Natural History, leave there and have brunch on the upper west side, then wend your way through Central Park (carousel, rowboats, Belvedere Castle, etc.) ending up at the Met. Just have a lot of fun!

Old May 21st, 2002, 03:15 AM
ss

My grandchildren (4 and 8) willingly go to Natural History and are not anxious to leave. The only thing they enjoy in the Met is the Egyptian section. We have taken them to the Children's
museum and they enjoy it but I don't recall seeing many older children.

Old May 21st, 2002, 06:45 AM
aMom

Natural History gets my vote too. The children's museum will bore the 12 yr old. There are mostly little kids there (3-8ish). The Met may bore the 7 yr old. Nat'l History should please both. Check out the special baseball exhibit and the planetarium, while there!

Old May 21st, 2002, 08:42 AM
nina

My boys like the Natural History museum (since they were toddlers), and we just took them to the Met (at 9 and 12) and they LOVED it. They loved the Egyptian exhibit and the armory exhibit even more. They weren't too young for the Met, nor do I think a 7 year old would be. Why not spend an hour or 2 there?

Old May 21st, 2002, 02:08 PM
Lois

I'd agree with the majority here and say the Museum of Nat'l History is the best choice, especially if you want to include some time in Central Park. My kids loved this Museum every one of the countless times we took them there when they were young. Of course, when they wanted to go back to a favorite hall there, they often found that the exhibits had changed. There is something there for all ages. Plus, the Planetarium is right there as well, and that could make an excellent second choice for them. To make things even more convenient, it's right across from Central Park.