International Spy Museum

Feb 24th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

International Spy Museum

Hi everyone,
I'm heading to DC in April for a few days (first time). I'm wondering what people's opinions are on th International Spy Museum for adults - is it worth going? Have you done the Operation Spy part? I'm wondering if it is worthwhile or more focused on kids...
I should say I love all things spy related.
Feb 24th, 2010, 02:29 PM

More focused on the kids I'd say. I thought it was OK but I wouldn't have regretted skipping it - and I'm a history buff, too.
Feb 24th, 2010, 03:08 PM

with all respect --completely disagree with andrew. the museum is geared much to adults. i wonder if he has kids... all the stuff about Cold War/Kennedy?Russia is not for kids. You must know recent history and US politics to appreciate much of the museum --sure, kids will like the exploding pen; James Bond type stuff but it is completely an adult experience... if you have any interest in history/current events/ spy I wouldn't miss it
Feb 24th, 2010, 04:52 PM

If you love all things spy related, then I think you will enjoy the International Spy Museum. For some reason, people think this is a great place for kids, but because there's lots to read and a good sense of history is essential, I find it much better for older teens and adults.
I did the Operation Spy with my 16-year-old and we both thought it was pretty hokey. I'd skip it.
Feb 24th, 2010, 06:09 PM

If you're interested in the history and techniques of espionage, the museum is absolutely fascinating. If you're not, then it's probably over-priced. I absolutely agree that it is NOT geared for kids -- unless you understand 20th Century conflicts, the basic premises of the displays would be confusing.
Feb 24th, 2010, 06:50 PM

Well, I guess I'll have to agree to disagree with you all. I have read a dozen or more books on the Cold War and find the period fascinating, so it's not like I'm not interested in history - and yet, I found the museum mostly a snooze. I have another friend who also follows history who had a similar opinion of the museum. Clearly some people enjoyed the museum but some of us did not; it's not fair to make a blanket statement like "f you have any interest in history/current events/ spy I wouldn't miss it." Even people who enjoy history have different tastes and opinions!
Feb 24th, 2010, 06:55 PM

It's been a few years since we were there but our family of 4 had a lot of fun there...our two kids were teenagers then and we enjoyed it...after visiting we began to realize how ubiquitous the spy culture is in US pop culture. We felt it was well worth the $ we spent.
Feb 24th, 2010, 07:00 PM

tayjamarie
My husband & I loved the International Spy Museum in DC. I think we were there spring of 2002. It is a lot of fun especially if you love anything relating to mystery, detectives, spies, etc.

The had catagories - famous spies in the Civil War, WWI, WWII, and other periods thru out history.
Famous spies in fiction and movies like James Bond, Nancy Drew, Hercole Pirot, etc.
A lot of the rooms are period oriented so you may go into a room which highlights the spy movement during the Cold War (kinda like living thru the experience).
So there is a lot of hands on stuff which is fun for adults and kids.
I would love to go back again.
Feb 25th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone!
Feb 25th, 2010, 05:51 PM

I am in the "big yawn" group. We were there the year after it opened. My DH, more of a history person, really enjoyed looked at the various spy equipment. I would have been more interested in the "how to" of spying than they showed. Seeing 12 mini-spy cameras did not really answer those questions for me. We were there with our HS age kids - who were not interested or knowledgeable in any Cold War or earlier spy stuff.