NYC in Jan. with 8 yr old girl

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2005, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This 8 year old girl is going with her Dad to NYC in January and they will be there 4 full days. She's into arts & also crafts & is very visual when it comes to her interests. And she enjoys some shopping....Any ideas on special things her father can take her to there?

Serendipity is on the list so far. He's thinking a trip to Soho perhaps, maybe also see the Rockettes, the Empire State Building. What to add? He will go over the list with her and they will choose what most appeals, but he's a bit stumped by what may be available for her. He has taken his older son in the past to NYC, but their interests and ages are different & he wants this January trip tailored to his 8 year old daughter. Any suggestions welcome.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 08:01 AM

In SoHo, she'll probably enjoy Pearl River for Chinese stuff ( 477 Broadway between Grand & Broome) including brocade Mary Janes and little purses, and Kate's Paperie right down the street. In fact, start your first day at these and pick out a special journal for the trip.

Choose one or two sections of the Met, or take her to the Frick. Seriously.

If she is familiar with the American Girl dolls (including TV specials about Samantha and Felicity), don't miss the American Girl store on Fifth at 49th, then go up to FAO Schwarz on 5th at 58. Maybe even the Toys R Us in Times Square -- just for the Ferris wheel.

Most kids find something to love at the American Natural History Museum. Most kids would love a carriage ride in Central Park.

Check out what's on display at the Cooper-Hewitt; it's the crafts branch of the Smithsonian, one of their non-Washington outposts. And the American Folk Art Museum (45 W 53). The Museum of theCity of New York (5th at about 102) always has a few galleries of kids' stuff.

She's old enough to help plan the trip if you bookmark several candidates and look at the sites together.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 08:02 AM

Well, the Statue of Liberty always comes to mind. Seeing the statue and touring Ellis Island takes a good half day to do.

The Metropolitan Museum is wonderful and has a variety of family programs (check their website) including some where the kids tour part of the museum and do an art project.

Does she like the American Girls dolls and books? I believe the store has tea parties, a show and, of course, shopping opportunities.

Have you considered a musical?
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 08:41 AM

Without a doubt, the best museum experience for 8 year olds is the American Museum of Natural History on Central Park West at 79th Street. She'll love it! And you can spend a half day there, out of the cold.

If the weather cooperates, children enjoy Belvedere Castle in Central Park (at the south end of the Great Lawn).

Enjoy!
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

These are great suggestions! Thanks, everyone. Keep the ideas coming....

I think the reason the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island haven't been considered very seriously is that we're talking January. But, if the weather cooperates, those are certainly fair game if she's interested.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 09:47 AM

How about a nice broadway show. For an 8 year old some options are The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, and Hairspray, Phantom of the Opera. Check Broadwaybox.com, and playbill.com for discounts.

If it's not too cold, Central Park - the zoo, carousel, ice-skating, etc.

If she likes Chinese food, take her down to chinatown. They sell all kinds of trinkets, t-shirts, & souveniers on the streets down there as well.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 09:56 AM

You've some wonderful ideas. When we brought our daughters into the city at that age, the carriage ride in Central Park was a favorite, as was a trip on the Staten Island Ferry to see the Statue of Liberty (and they didn't mind it was in Dedember!), the Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall, and the top of the Empire State Bldg.I liked Anonymous's idea of the Pearl River, in Soho, also, and of course the American Girl Place.Alas, when I was a child one of the best things I remember were the Horn and Hardart cafeteria's- amd Chock Full of Nuts great date and nut cream cheese sandwiches with chocolate milk!Ane, though not Catholic, I was awed at St. Patrick's Cathedral.Decided that's where I would get married !
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

St. Patrick's has always awed me, too! First saw it at age 11, I think.

I'm wondering whether anyone knows more about the kids programs at the Met Museum...especially the participatory stuff?
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 10:56 AM

Eliztrav-go to nycitylinks.com, and click on the kids icon. It gives you quite a bit of what's available at the various museums and events happening around the city.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

THANK you! Will do that immediately.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 11:02 AM

If the wait at Serendipity is long (we waited 2.5 hours to get seated), he could take her to Dylan's Candy Bar in the interim. It is a cute candy shop. My kids loved that place. They also enjoyed the ferris wheel inside Toys R Us at Times Square, Pokemon/Nintendo Center and ice skating both located at Rockefeller Center, and especially Lion King.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 11:21 AM

FYI the "Dylan" of Dylan's Candy Bar is Dylan Lauren, Ralph Lauren's daughter. She's there on occasion. I'm working up the nerve to ask her out.

Old Dec 8th, 2005, 11:21 AM

I would highly recommend Beauty and the Beast! How perfect for an 8 year old. There are excellent discounts available for January for most shows, including Beauty.

Also, she might enjoy American Girl Place:
http://www.americangirlplace.com
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

These are such wonderful suggestions. I can always count on Fodorites for the real scoop! Thanks, guys!
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 02:47 PM

Try the American Girl place and the ToysRUs in Times Square. It may be cold but a ride in the horse and buugy carriage is still nice.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 02:49 PM

Well, this is my first post - but when I saw this, I just had to reply, because I have so many fond memories of my dad taking me to NYC when I was a little girl! In addition to the many wonderful suggestions already posted, I always adored going to Tavern on the Green - it was like a fantasyland in there! Great for an 8-year-old, I think!...
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 02:53 PM

gocitykids.com has an engine that allows you to look at what's going on for the dates they're in town. Also, select "kind of day" indoor, "kind of fun" creative and her age and they list options. There are TONS of arty type studios.

Top of the Rock is the newly opened observation deck at Rock. Center and is getting much better reviews than the ESB. You can buy tickets ahead online and it's much more civilized and user friendly than ESB.

Going to a fancy afternoon tea is always fun. The St. Regis hotel does a nice one.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 06:03 PM

When my 7 year old niece was here last summer, the top of her list was lunch at American Girl Place and going to see Fiddler on the Roof (she was going to be doing it as a school play this year). Other suggestions, if she has never been to a Broadway show, are Lion King and Beauty and the Beast.

Also, Top of the Rock is supposed to be fantastic (I'm waiting until warmer weather in the spring). It's in Rockefeller Center and the tree may still be up (if you are there early enough) - regardless, the skating rink will still be open, and she might enjoy watching them (if not joining them).

For the Arts & Crafts/visual side, the American Folk Art Museum (West 53rd between 5th & 6th) might be fun - and it's right up the block from MoMA. The Family programs at the Metropolitan Museum and the Museum of Natural History are also wonderful.

She will have a blast in SoHo, and spending some time on Canal Street will also be fun for her - Pearl River Mart has great (cheap) stuff.

I would pass on Tavern on the Green, the food is beyond awful. Look into Alice's Tea Cup - it's cute and fun.

They are going to have a wonderful time together.
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

You guys are the best! I'm planning to pass this info along this weekend, and I'm sure it will help them plan an awesome trip. Actually, having all these great specific suggestions and sites to visit to get specifics for their dates & preferences should make their planning process memorable (in a good way!) too.
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Oops...forgot to ask....what and where is Alice's Teacup?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -