Help - the plane to the train

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 03:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be arriving in Logan from Taipei this Sunday and will spend the night at an airport hotel. I need to rent a car.and understand I must return it to Logan.

However, I then need to take Amtrak to head into Westchester County, NY. I'll have a very large suitcase, maybe even two, with me. How easy and/or advisable is it to take the bus into South Station? Or should I take a taxi? Is it prohibitive?

Any advice will be most welcome. Thanks.
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 03:47 AM

With 2 big bags, take the taxi. Shelping the bags up and down stairs and onto and off the T will not be alot of fun. Also there is no where to store bags on the trains. I wouldn't think the cost would be more than $25 from Logan to South Station.
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 05:21 AM

Agree with travebuff except there is baggage storage on the train. As you enter each car this is a space for bags. Not big so get on car as early as possible.
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Very grateful for your input. The whole car rental scene presents a lot of problems for me: I live overseas most of the year and don't have a car in the States. The restriction that cars must (in most cases) be returned to where they were rented means some awkward travel arrangements. Again, thanks.
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 06:31 AM

I know that at Penn Station you can find a Red Cap, who will take you down to the correct track early and help with the luggage. This may be true to Boston also. Worth trying to find out (and worth the tip for the Red Cap).
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 08:58 AM

why not to take a shuttle from the airport to your hotel? more economical then a car rent.

next day, take a taxi to Amtrak

another version: get a hotel close to Amtrak - shuttle to hotel in the city may be the same price as to hotel at the airport, do a search on this
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 09:13 AM
yk

I will be arriving in Logan from Taipei this Sunday and will spend the night at an airport hotel. I need to rent a car.and understand I must return it to Logan.

I'm confused about this. You're renting a car from Logan to DRIVE to the airport hotel? Or are you renting a car because you are going somewhere else?

If you only need to get from the airport to the airport hotel, there's absolutely NO NEED to rent a car! Your airport hotel should have a free shuttle that comes around the airport to pick up their guests.

As for getting to South Station for Amtrak, take a taxi if you have 2 large suitcases. Your other option is to take the Silver Line (of the T system). The fare is $2 and all you need is to lift the suitcase onto the Silver Line bus (level to the curb). The Silver Line ends at South Station, and there are escalators AND elevators to get to the Concourse level for the Amtrak trains.
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 11:21 AM

I'm not sure all Amtrak cars have storage for large bags. I think just the handicap accessible cars have the space on the floor for large suitcases.

I agree that a taxi from Logan to South Station shouldn't be more than $25 and perhaps less, depending on traffic. With large bags I would certainly take a taxi.
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 11:27 AM

jgmc on Dec 3, 09 at 9:52am
<The restriction that cars must (in most cases) be returned to where they were rented means some awkward travel arrangements.>

I have always been able to do a one-way car rental with Hertz. That means picking it up at one location and returning it to another location. Sometimes the cost is exorbitant but I've also had a one-way rental that only had a $25 fee. I think it depends on the rental company and the locations.
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 11:40 AM

For all your travel, it's much easier to manage one larger and one smaller, or two medium bags. Don't bring bags you cannot manage and carry up/down stairs and through narrow aisles.

With more than one bag, definitely take a taxi.
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Sorry for not being quite clear to all of my helpful advisors.

Because I am flying in from Taipei and arriving in the evening and because I will be tired and jet lagged, I decided to spend the night at an airport hotel before driving the next day to the south coast area (near Fall River). I will rent the car the following day to get to that area.

After spending a week there, I will be going to NY. All of my many calls to various car rental companies told me that I have to return the car to its point of pick up, unless I want to pay (literally) thousands of dollars for what will be nearly a month's visit. So...back to Logan with the car, and then on to Amtrak to get to Westchester County, NY.

I will finally depart for Taipei from JFK, so if I rent a second car in NY, I can return it in NY.

All of this is confusing to me too, but I thank everyone for their input. I will take a taxi from Enterprise to Amtrak. It just sounds easier. And, if I can consolidate by suitcases (full of Xmas presents and winter clothes), maybe I'll just have one to schlepp around.

Thanks Fodorites for your help.
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 07:13 PM
yk

Thanks for your further explanation.

I'm trying to find out which other location you try to return the car to that will cost "thousands of dollars"? I'm just thinking that if you rent from Logan but return the car at South Station, yes, there may be a surcharge but I doubt it'll be thousands of dollars more.
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 12:11 PM

Umm, we seem to be a little uptight here today.

Dropoff charges: There have certainly been restrictions in the past on driving cars rented in Massachusetts into New York, so I can easily imagine that the charge for dropping off might be significant.

Luggage: One frequently sees travelers from East and South Asia bringing multiple very large suitcases, presumably items for a very long stay or gifts etc for family. Such suitcases are commonly sold in San Francisco and are the size of trunks. I don't think you come for a long stay from Taipei with a rollaboard and a second item, or even a third item (purse) the size of a US Army duffle bag.

Access to trains: There are no stairs in South Station between a passenger arriving at the curb by taxi or car and the platform for the Amtrak trains. You will need a Red Cap to get you from Amtrak to Metro North to go to Westchester.