Another Italian train question

May 2nd, 2007, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Another Italian train question

Is there a size limit for luggage that can be stored in your train compartment? I have never traveled by train in Europe, but my DH and I are planning to use the train in Italy in October. I will take a "carryon", but have not yet convinced DH to do the same.(Switch!) If he has a large bag, will it be difficult to keep with us on a train. I have read here to NEVER leave your luggage alone. Grazie!
May 2nd, 2007, 05:27 PM

I don't think there are any official limits on the size of your bags on Italian trains. It's up to you what you can hump up and down the steps of your train and keep the bag with you without it being in the way of other passengers. Yes, if it's too big to fit in an overhead bin or next to your seat without impeding traffic, you'll need to find a space for it that probably won't be where you can easily keep an eye on it. Yet another reason for packing LIGHT.
May 2nd, 2007, 06:07 PM

To keep it with you it has to be small enough to fit onto the overhead rack (not with 2/3 of it hanging off the rack endangering other passengers).

And besides getting it up the 3 steep narrow steps from the platform to the train you have to be able to lift it over your head.

If you have really big luggage there is usually a place at the end of the car to put it - and you could take a lock and chain to prevent it from being "lost" at interim stops.
May 3rd, 2007, 06:28 AM
ira

Hi ss,

If you have a large suitcase that has to be put on the luggage racks at the end of the car, keep in mind that the only time it can be stolen is when the train is in a station.

May 3rd, 2007, 06:29 AM
ira

PS,

>Is there a size limit for luggage that can be stored in your train compartment?

Are you talking about a sleeper?
May 3rd, 2007, 06:40 AM

You may have read about "never" leaving your bags alone but I see people on trains in Europe who do so all the time.

Generally, there are spaces to store luggage above seats in racks but the rack capacity will depend on the type of train. There may also be room to store luggage between seats which are positioned back-to-back.

There are sometimes racks at the ends of the carriages.

Some people find room under their seats.

And yes, some actually put their luggage ON unoccupied seat.

On night trains there is usually room under the berth and in some compartment configurations there is room above the entrance.

I don't think you will have any trouble finding storage space.

As to security that can very much be an individual decision based on comfort level.
May 3rd, 2007, 06:55 AM
ira

>you could take a lock and chain to prevent it from being "lost" at interim stops.<

I have an unused bike cable and lock that I am willing to part with at cost + S&H.

May 3rd, 2007, 07:15 AM

Sometimes I think we are super-paranoid about someone stealing luggage, though I confess to being that way myself. But I have noticed that the baggage racks at the end of each train car is usually taken up by Italians who have no interest in dragging their bags through the cars and don't seem to be worried about theft.

Your husband should worry more about getting the bag ONTO the train as another poster said, and about maneuvering it through crowded train stations. Even a 22 inch rolling bag is a pain when crowds are swarming and I'm trying to hurry to catch a connection.
May 3rd, 2007, 07:29 AM

Wow! I am so glad I read this post. We are going to Italy and planning to travel the trains with all of our luggage for our 16-night trip. Oh my! Sounds like we'll be schlepping.
I'd just as soon leave it in the luggage area and lock it up. Tell me more about the lock and chain idea... so that I can pick out appropriate stuff, what will I be chaining it to? How long must the cable be? Will I need one for each suitcase?
May 3rd, 2007, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

many thanks for all the advice!
May 3rd, 2007, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

when I tell DH these facs, he will want to rent a car to drive from Venice to Rome(I just KNOW it) If he does suggest that, I suppose we will have to stop enroute, or it would be more pleasant to stop and stay a night enroute. If you were driving Venice-Rome, where would you leave the car-- at the Rome airport??
May 3rd, 2007, 11:35 AM

I've travelled by train all over Europe and never seen anyone securing luggage with a chain or cable. If I saw anyone do it, I'd assume they were madly paranoid or that the case was full of gold.
I put my luggage on a rack or under a seat and forget about it till I'm ready to leave the train. I'll go to the toilet or the bar or restaurant car without worrying about my luggage.
May 3rd, 2007, 12:23 PM

What size is your husband's big bag? For a three-week trip I usually manage with one 22-inch bag and a smaller shoulder bag that attaches to the top. He can certainly bring a larger bag than that, though he may not need to do so or want to handle it.

In any case, I would recommend two smaller bags rather than one big bag. It will be easier to lift, store and move two smaller bags in the variety of situations you encounter.

Suitcase choice is not the reason to rent a car . . . his large bag might not fit in a standard italian rental car.