Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

HELP! Need advice about our stay in SANTA MONICA...

May 16th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Hello to All!

We're doing a weekend getaway and staying either at the Delfina or Viceroy in Santa Monica.

I hate malls! (I know SM is full of large chain and department stores...yuck!)

Are there any unique places to explore around SM, including stores? We love walking and exploring quirky, undiscovered areas.

For example, are there any off-the-beaten walking tours I should do of the area? (We love architecture.)

Also, I know one Fodorite mentioned a great and reasonable seafood restaurant by the water called Fishhouse (?)

Thanks for your advice!

P.S. Approximately how long is a drive from SM to Zuma Beach in Malibu and to the Getty Villa, etc.?
May 16th, 2006, 01:24 PM

If you like "quirky" be sure to visit the Museum of Jurassic Technology in nearby Venice.

Santa monica up to Zuma is about 20 minutes. Just find the ocean, drive with the ocean on your left, and you'll get there!
May 16th, 2006, 01:33 PM

Quirky or unique parts of Santa Monica....

Main Street from south of Pico all the way into Venice Beach. Venice Beach itself. Montana Ave. and all its little shops ("shabby chic" was born there, it is rumored). The Bergamot Station gallery collective (at 2525 Michigan Avenue), if you're into modern art.

Santa Monica isn't that well-known for architectural treasures; there are two relatively well-preserved examples of West Coast Art Déco hotels right in downtown (the Georgian and the Shangri-La), but other than that you won't find a lot. There are some scattered early Frank Gehry houses in Venice....

The very best seafood restaurant in Santa Monica (IMHO) is Ocean Ave. Seafood, right on Ocean. If you like lobster, The Lobster is at the base of the Santa Monica Pier and offers killer views as well as pretty good (not great) seafood. Guess what their best item is? Down between Main and Nielson Way, Enterprise Fish Co. is well-known and pretty good. None of these is cheap, but they're reasonably-priced for the food you get. Ocean Ave. is famous for only getting the freshest of everything they serve (they're part of the King's Seafood family of superior high-end eateries).

Santa Monica to the Getty Villa is only about 10-15 minutes up PCH. Zuma Beach will be another 25-30 minutes, as I recall. Maybe a little less. Maybe more, depending on traffic. It's a nice drive!
May 16th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

joe and rjw: Thanks for the great and detailed info!

I just moved to LA, and I've only seen the touristy Third Street Promenade of SM so far, but I heard there were some great walking paths around the nabe to enjoy views of the homes.

Looking forward to taking PCH north to Malibu and Zuma!

Probably will be staying at the Sheraton Delfina...Cheers!
May 16th, 2006, 04:25 PM
emd

Betty, if you are considering the Vicroy over the Sheraton, the Viceroy is a much different hotel and you might really like it better depending on what you like in a hotel. There was a review of it on here recently. It is very hip and trendy and has quite a scene going for it. The Sheraton is really sedate compared to Viceroy.
May 17th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

emd: I may try the Viceroy in the future. I got a great deal on Delfina...am requesting the room you mentioned. Will see how that goes...

Cheers!
May 17th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

P.S. Viceroy has mandatory $27 for overnight valet parking...ouch!