Venice or Santa Monica, CA for woman on own for a day

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2004, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice or Santa Monica, CA for woman on own for a day

Dear Folks:

Dear Folks:

I have a friend who is flying into LAX the day before she has a night flight to New Zealand. She wants to try to spend the day somewhere where she could get around without a car. I was thinking somewhere in Marina Del Rey, Venice or Santa Monica would have places to walk to, beach, of course but also restaurants, etc. Can anyone recommend a safe choice for a woman on her own without a car? Any interesting but not very expensive hotels not too far from airport. I once stayed at the Jamaica Bay Best Western in Marina del Rey and that was fine but I cannot remember if you can walk to restaurants from there.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Meme
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 09:39 AM

Santa Monica is probably the safest bet. Certainly you can walk around and find lots to do, and it's pretty safe at night as well, as long as you stay on the main streets. A nice, cheapish hotel right on Ocean Avenue is the Georgian, which is a lovely, historic hotel in classic Hollywood Art Déco style. The cab to LAX isn't too expensive.

There are lots of restaurants within walking distance of the Jamaica Bay BW, including jer-ne at the Ritz-Carlton, Harbor House Seafood (where I used to announce swimsuit fashion shows-- about 17 years ago!!), Edie's Diner, etc.
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 09:40 AM

Marina Del Rey is closest to the airport. If she justs wants to chill out at a pool somewhere close by, that would make sense.

Santa Monica is where I'd probably choose to go. There's a pedestrain shopping area with shops and restaurants but I can't recall any hotels that would be in walking of that.

If I were doing this, I'd rent a car for the day, I'd go to the Getty museum.
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 09:46 AM

There are lots of hotels within walking distance to the Third Street Promenade (but note: it's now simply an outdoor shopping mall-- mostly the same stores you see in your local mall, although some are quite impressive, like the Banana Republic at Wilshire and Third), including the Radisson Huntley, the Georgian, the Fairmont Miramar, the Loews, the JW Marriott Le Mérigot, the Carmel, etc., etc., etc.

However, I'm a little "over" Santa Monica (I've worked here over 17 years), so I tend to be a bit blasé about its charms. It's nice for the first-time visitor, and it can be a fun way to fill an afternoon and evening in the LA area.
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 01:34 PM
jimjim

Well, I haven't worked there for 17 years, and I think Santa Monica is the best choice. Book a room within walking distance of the Third Street Promenade.

Old Nov 17th, 2004, 05:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Jamaica Bay Inn is nice, but without a car, there's really nowhere to go from there except the Cheesecake Factory. Marina del Rey has long, long streets and would take forever to get anywhere, even a bus.

Santa Monica is her best bet, since it's pretty compact, and is served by a good bus service if she wants to get out of the area and, say, go to Westwood Village, or even around Santa Monica. Fare is now 75 cents a ride.
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 10:39 AM

If she is on a budget, she can take the Blue Bus to Santa Monica from the airport. She could even stay at a hotel at the airport, so she won't be in a hurry the day her flight leaves.