Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

HELP! Mar 23-36 surprise trip to Napa Valley for boyfriend's bday! Need rec. for hotel/wineries/restaurants!!

Search

HELP! Mar 23-36 surprise trip to Napa Valley for boyfriend's bday! Need rec. for hotel/wineries/restaurants!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All! Please help me plan this surprise trip. My bf and I are coming from new york and love LOVE food/wine (although we are no wine experts). He is a student at culinary sch and plans to open his restaurant one day. So far, I have only booked the plane tickets. I am open to either napa/sonoma/surrounding areas. Also, after 1-1/2 hrs of non-stop calling, I made a reservation for lunch (11am!) at French Laundry for March 24. We have been to per se, le bernadine, l'athelier in new york, is French laundry worth it? Anyway, looking forward to any help in planning this trip, I'm looking to spend abt $500 for 3 nites of hotels, is that too little? What wineries must I visit as a first-timer? Also any suggestsions for restaurants (even specific dishes) highly appreciated. We will arrive around noon on friday. Thank you all in advance!
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 08:14 AM

My husband and I spent a few days in Napa in July. What fun.. anyway, as far as restaurants we loved BRIX. Delicious food, overlooks a vineyard. We stayed at the Napa Valley Lodge. Nice hotel, clean also overlooks a vineyard, but not over the top crazy on costs. We liked it and would stay there again. We enjoyed a The Wine/Cheese Tasting Tour at Robert Mondavi. It was a small group only 8 people and was very fun and informative. Have a great trip.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 09:26 AM

Just spent a day with girlfriends in Napa. We enjoyed Brix's brunch but they are not going to be serving brunch anymore after the end of the month. I would reccomend stopping at Cuvee Nave for some champagne. They have a great selection. Look online before you leave for coupons for winetasting and purchases. I know that Cuvee Nava has one on their website. Have fun!
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 09:51 AM

Since your BF is a student at culinary school, he may be interested in dining at Greystone:

www.ciachef.edu/restaurants/wsgr

My favorite meal in Napa area was at Redd in Yountville. But I personally prefer the Sonoma area (specifically Dry Creek Road) for a visit.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 09:54 AM

Sorry the champagne place is called Mumm Napa not Cuvee Nava.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 11:12 AM

Since you are on a budget, I suggest visiting Sonoma wineries as they are less crowded and don't have the high tasting fees. I have a trip report on here from our trip last April, take a look at that. Excellent wineries in Sonoma include Rosenblum in Healdsburg Square, Wilson Winery , Papapietro-Perry, Gary Farrell, Meeker, Ferrari-Carano, Rochioli, Limerick Lane, Dutcher Crossing and Locals in Geyserville, which represents many excellent private vintners with small production. Take a look at the Geyserville Inn, it's very nice and fits a budget.http://www.geyservilleinn.com/
Be sure to check weather,com before heading out there. Mornings can be cool and foggy till noon and it can also be quite rainy.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 07:56 PM

Cyrus restaurant in Healdsburg just got 2 stars with Michlin... you can spend a lovely afternoon wine tasting and shopping around the town square in Healdsburg (Sonoma County).... don't come this far without checking both countys...(Napa and Sonoma)
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 01:39 AM

You are on a pretty tight budget for the Napa region. If budget allows, try to stay in (or go to) Calistoga for a soak in their thermal water. For a reasonably priced meal, we like Wappo in Calistoga. An old standby in St Helena is TraVigne. It has been there a long time and is quite good for lunch. I agree with the recommendation for the culinary institute... unless that will seem like work to him!
-k.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

thank you all for your responses! after spending hours reading the forum here (SO much INFO!) I decided on 2 nights in napa and on sunday drive to sonoma and stay there for 1 night. I booked vintage inn and maison fleurie for napa (i just can't decide which one i'll have to cancel one depending on the cost of my itinery) and then inn at sonoma. So far here's my itinery:

Friday- arrive at around 11am, visit some wineries in napa (i don't know which one yet, please give any suggestion), lunch at domain chadon then visit its vineyeard, and go around for more winetastings. Dinner at bistro jeanty

Sat- lunch at french laundry, then i'll try to visit pride vineyard, visit more wineries, then dinner at martini house

sun- drive to sonoma, picnic for lunch, visit Hess, and more wineries in/ around sonoma (maybe drive heraldsburg is that too far?) dinner at the girl and the fig.

So far i got the food and lodgings pretty well planned but no clue which wineries to visit. I've sterling, cakebread, ferrari carnano, artesa,dry creeek, on my list but I am not sure which. Please give me any suggestions on vineyards, i want to visit both big and small (off the beate path) wineries, as long as it's good! Thank you all in advance.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 09:57 AM

Sounds like you have some great ideas. One way to cut costs would be if your dates coincide with the promotional rates at Vino Bella in Napa. The lowest rate I can see is $99.00 without taxes. It is quite nice, not smack in the vineyards, but a handy location for touring. Take a look if interested. Have a wonderful visit!P.S. Del Dotto cab are pretty incredible, you might want to swing by if time allows!
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 02:20 PM
mjs

I have not eaten at Per Se but I would imagine that it would be similar to French Laundry. Cost for 2 meals with a moderate bottle of wine and tip will be close to $500 or more and if you have already eaten at Per se I am not sure it would be worth it for someone on a budget like yours. I am also not sure that dining at such a restaurant is that useful for an aspiring chef.
Unless he has a sugar daddy of sorts he will not be opening a restaurant by himself anytime soon and if he wishes to have a restaurant of high caliber he wll be in apprentice for many years at many different restaurants probably in many locations.
Perhaps dining at restaurants diffferent than what you might find in NYC may be a better goal. I like Bistro Jeanty but again it is a nice french bistro and you can get that in NYC. Tra Vigne is Italian. Consider Terra, Auberge du Soleil, Mustards, Cyrus, Cafe la Hayne among others. These restaurants will be a change from those in NYC.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 03:32 PM

Hey darbi-
Your Sunday doesn't seem to make sense.
You're driving to Sonoma(the town or the county??), having a picnic lunch,
visitng Hess (which is back over in Napa
County), considering driving up to Healdsburg and dining in Sonoma town
at the girl & the fig. May I suggest you get a map of the region-and I am not being flip or rude.

Yountville (where your lodging is) is a good 30 minute drive to Sonoma town-
Sonoma town is a good hour to Healdsburg.

You may want to consider driving from Yountville north of Hwy 29 through Calistoga-heading west on 128 over to Healdsburg-which is where the Dry Creek/
Alexander Valley/Russian River
wineries are. A very good on-line resource for this area can be found at
www.wineroad.com
Then, you could head south down to Sonoma for the night and your dinner at the girl.

That is quite a lot in a day. So I might suggest choosing either the areas
around the town of SOnoma
OR
Healdsburg. There are numerous fabulous places to dine in Healdsburg, BTW.

Anyway, get yourself over to
www.compass-maps
and order the Napa-Sonoma map that will show you where all the wineries are in both counties. This will spare you hours of needless driving.

R5

PS-LLindaC has given you great ideas
for not so touristy Sonoma wineries.

Old Jan 28th, 2007, 03:37 PM

It's been a few years but we always would love picnicing at Gundlach-Bundshu in Sonoma (you can't purchase food there so plan ahead), very serene setting. Also visiting Ravenswood and Barthlomew Park. I always liked the smaller more intimate wineries. Have a great trip.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all and keep giving me suggestions! I guess my original post kinda suggested that I am on a tight budget for the hotel, which I am, because I want to spend more money on good food. My bf and I both enjoy good food so we do not mind spending more than avg for a good meal. Although I am still unsure abt that lunch at french laundry since the reviews are either awesome! or overrated!

RazzleDazzle, I've spent days reading this forum and all the info is kinda overwhelming (in a good way!) and I thought that Hess was in sonoma, oops. I liked the route that you suggested for healdsburgh but wondering, since this is my first time in the wine country, maybe I should visit places near sonoma?

After another full day of reading this forum, here's a revised schedule

Fri - arrive 11am
del dotto
lunch at Domaine Chandon
cakebread
Hess
V Sattui?
Sequoia Grove
Deer Park
Carneros Creek
Dinner at Bistro Jeanty/Terra/Mustard?

Sat - Lunch at french laundry/something else
sterling (for the tram)
Freemark Abbey (need more info on visiting hours pls!)
beringer (for the tunnel)
Peju
Zahtila
and I am wondering if I can just vist the hot springs without being a hotel guest in that area?
Dinner at Matini House

Sunday
Drive to Sonoma, picnic lunch (if weather allows) or Cafe la Haye?
Buena Vista
Gloria Ferrar
Ferrari Carano
Arrowwood
Gundlach Bundschu
Ravenswood
Nicholson Ranch
Dinner at Girl and the Fig or Cyrus (if I don't go to French laundry)

Is this too ambitious? I guess I better start planning my next trip exclusively to healdsburgh area, I can only fit so much in 3 days... Thank you everyone for being so helpful! I'll definitely write a trip report (2 months from now) =)
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 07:14 PM

Yes, it's a lot for 3 days,(yet you might as well jump in and enjoy) and yes I'd consider either Healdsburg or Sonoma for your Sonoma county sampling. The Healdsburg area deserves time and you won't see it if you spend the day
in southern Sonoma County and just drive up to Cyrus for dinner. I also think it unwise to be drinking and driving 50 miles back to Sonoma town-
you will then probably meet some of our local law enforcement.

It's good to have a plan and some dinner reservations since you'll be here on a weekend. It's fun to toss "the plan" out the window if
something takes your fancy. Just a thought...

Now,here's a few other restaurants for you to research. Consider a dinner at Ad Hoc-it's in Yountville and is another of Keller's
restaurants, dinner Thurs-Sat,4 courses
$45. Also check out Redd in Yountville.

Instead of Mustard's-go for Cindy's
Backstreet Kitchen OR Go Fish
both by Cindy Pawclyn and both in St. Helena.

Cafe la Haye does dinner only.

Call Indian Springs in Calistoga and see if they will let you use their pool
without getting a spa treatment-I'm thinking not. 707-942-4913.

Napa Wineries-I would eliminate V. Sattui-tour bus hell & Freemark Abbey.
If you are going to Carneros Creek then do Artesa. I would skip the Sterling tram, really,their wines are blah. Consider Twomey and Clos Pegase instead. Add St. Supery. After del dotto (you should do the tour-needs reservations) continue up the Silverado trail go to Darioush, Cafaro, Robert Sinskey and maybe Rombauer.

Sonoma's list near Sonoma town looks
ok. Consider Mayo, Castle & Kaz. Ferrari Carrano is up by Healdsburg-save it.

I offer these options as I simply feel they will offer you a richer experience.
for you and your future chef.

Now, I will wish you sunny skies for your weekend here-even though we really could use the rain, LOL !

R5