Napa Experts help!

Old May 26th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Napa Experts help!

Calling all you Napa experts....My husband and I will be in Napa for 4 days this August. We decided to stay at the Carneros Inn. It's a very nice new Inn near the Carneros Winery that came highly recomended to us. Another friend mentioned to me that it's 30-45 minutes away from the better wineries and restaurants and that we'd have to deal with traffic etc. She's suggesting that we stay in Younville or St. Helena. My only objection to that is that we want an upscale hotel, but don't really want to spend the $400.00+ per night rate that the nicer places in town charge. Are we going to regret staying so far from the action? I'm also not sure what wineries we're going to yet. Our last trip 5 years ago we saw: Gircich Hills, Pine Ridge, Clos Pegas, Schramsberg & Coppola. We loved them all and may re-visit some, however, I'm not sure which one's we shouldn't miss. There are so many choices. Anyway, any advise or itinerary suggestions would be very helpful.
Thanks & Cheers!
Old May 26th, 2004, 12:51 PM

Traffic on the wine road is absolutely horrible, especially on weekends, so I'd keep that in mind. I stick with Sonoma and Russian River now to avoid the mess.
Also, you seem to be under the false impression the Napa is the center of the valley and closest to the wineries. This is wrong. The center is more like Yountville. Staying there does no put you 30-45 away from the better wineries. Napa at near the beginning of the valley and is the biggest town, but it certainly is not the most centrally located.

Though I haven't been to Napa for a while (I gave up on the traffic and drove to Sonoma on my last try), here are few notes. For wine, I've always like Grgich Hills best. For total experience, I prefer Sterling, because you take their cable car up the hill and have a great view. And they have very good wine. I've always found Franciscan the friendliest. Domain Chandon is a must stop for most, and their restaurantis quite famous.

Old May 26th, 2004, 07:29 PM

The carneros region is actually between Napa and Yountville; it's just where the road to Sonoma goes off and would be a nice place to stay. But if you want to be closer to the restaurants in the valley, Yountville or St. Helena would be better choices.
Old May 26th, 2004, 08:09 PM

There are wineries worth a visit scattered through the region and best wineries is subjective. It sounds as though you have visited several of the St. Helena, Calistoga wineries and may want to see some new ones. Some suggestions:

The Hess Collection Winery
4411 Redwood Road
Napa CA 94558

Artesa
1345 Henry Road, Napa

You will also be well located for a drive to Sonoma, which may be a better choice than heading to Yountville.

Benziger Family Winery - (http://www.benziger.com/)
Kunde Winery - (www.kunde.com)

Also in Glen Ellen, if interested in the Jack London State Park. Inteesting little museum and the ruins of Jack London's home.

Old May 26th, 2004, 08:30 PM

I think it would be fine to stay farther away, we live in the Bay area, and do day trips to Napa...

As for wineries (in Sonoma or Napa), I recommend Benziger, V.Sattui (great place to eat at), Sterling for the views, Domaine Chandon, Cline, etc...

Old May 27th, 2004, 06:31 AM

I would agree that Sonoma County is less expensive with lots less traffic than Napa in August.
Also, the Carneros region is south of Napa and Sonoma (cities) in both counties adjacent to San Pablo Bay (not between Napa and Yountville).
The Carneros Inn is on 12/121 near 29 South of Napa.
I like Ch. St Jean and Beringer's 2nd floor premium tasting room.
Terra and Bistro Jeanty are good restaurants.
M
Old May 27th, 2004, 10:11 AM

I would stay in Yountville or St. Helena. Check out the Yountville Inn, www.yountvilleinn.com A very nice property and not outrageously expensive. I would go to Bistro Jeanty and Domaine Chandon.

St. Helena is also very nice. We like the Harvest Inn. They used to be in the E-Book for 50% discounts mid-week. Terra and Tra Vigne are our favorites here.

Auberge du Soleil in Rutherford is very nice. Have lunch out on their patio, the property and views are gorgeous.

If you go to Calistoga, Wappo Bar & Bistro is very good. Check out the Indian Springs Resort if you like mud baths. www.indianspringscalistoga.com You can read about my stay there on their website! ***kim***
Old May 27th, 2004, 10:56 PM

Why note branch out and discover some other parts of the wine country? I'm a fan of the Healdsburg side of things and LindaLC loves the Grape Leaf Inn there . I'm partial to the Russian River Valley Pinot Noirs and Zinfandels.
I think the Healdsburg side might offer some respit from the intensity of Napa.
You might also consider more the Sonoma vineyards and wineries like Arrowood,St Francis etc. I just found out about Sonoma Creek Inn (see reviews on Tripadvisor.com). My sister's heading to a wedding at St. Francis winery in July and will be staying at Sonoma Creek. Check out Gaige House as well. You'll beat the Hwy 29 and Silverado Trail traffic for sure with either choice.
Old May 29th, 2004, 08:15 AM

The Carneros Inn is brand new and still under construction on an old trailer park property. It's all by itself just west of Napa. I haven't been in there yet, but it does look very strange from the highway. You'll have to drive a ways to the restaurants.

If you stay in Yountville or St. Helena, you can walk to the restaurants.

August is a very busy month and it can also be very hot upvalley. You will be cooler in Carneros.

It's much better to visit the Napa Valley after October when it's not so busy and the hotel rates go down. It's also a lot easier to get a table at the best restaurants.