HELP- I'm going to Hawaii

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2004, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to Hawaii in March. Our 7 night hotel accomodations will be completely "funded" with Marriott points. I originally thought Maui was the place to go but the Marriott reviews don't seem so good. Should I go to Maui anyway and stay in a "lesser" Mariott or should I go to Oahu and stay at the Ihilani? Any information would be greatly appreciated
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 02:38 PM

I've stayed at both Waliea and Ihilani - both are very nice. Just pick which island you wish to see.
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 02:55 PM

Wish I had Marriot points because we fly into Oahu for 3 nights (with free air tickets! I guess those are as good as point) and I chose Ihilani north of Honolulu because my DH is not a big city person. We do want to see the north shore too!

Then we are flying to Maui for 7 nights and spending 5 at the Renaissance Wailea - which is a Marriot property. We got a great rate in Mokapu building which is smaller and closer to beach. Proximity to beach/ocean as opposed to way up in some high rise was important to us. When do you leave? We fly out 2 months from today!!!
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 03:56 PM
iceeu2

If you are staying on Marriott points, check for the marriott vacation club international. We stayed last March on Kauai for 7 nights, oceanfront, 1 bedroom, 2 bath villa for 125,000 points. It seems to me the vacation club portion is a great deal.
In Kauai they have 2- Lihue and the new one called Waihoi.......

Old Jan 8th, 2004, 04:14 PM

I don't know if you are interested in Kauai or not but my husband and 2 sons stayed at the WAIOHAI Marriott Beach Club on Rewards points last August and it was wonderful. It is right on Poipu Beach. It was still under construction while we were there but it was mainly interior finish work they were doing so it didn't bother us at all. The rooms or villas were gorgeous. Nice size kitchen with granite counters, 2 huge bathrooms in our 2 bedroom. Great pool. Whatever you decide, have a great time!
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 04:27 PM

Go to Kauai and stay at the Waihaoi. We were at the Marriott in Lihue and it was fine - the Waihaoi was SUPERB!!
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 10:19 AM

The Marriott on the Big Island was fine, but didn't knock my socks off. By the way, the phrases "help" and "I'm going to Hawaii" should never appear in the same sentence. Have a great time, wherever you go.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your suggestions. I have looked into the Marriott Vacation Club. They have one in Maui as well as Kuaui. It seems to me they are more geared towards families. Is this the case? My husband and I will be leaving our two darling daughters at home and would REALLY like some time away from kids. We are looking for a more relaxed and romantic vacation. I think we will stick with the Renaissance in Maui.
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 12:27 PM

Hawaiigirl - my husband and I are also leaving our two darling daughters behind. I hope the Renaissance isn't "overrun with kids" I think March is kind of an off time for families and other resorts appeal more to families because Renaissance has really small pools. I kind of like pools better but my DH LOVES the ocean! (or Lake Michigan!) I hope you have a good experience there!
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 07:42 PM
Tnewman2119

hawaiigirl: We stayed at the Maui Marriott in Sept 2003 and were thoroughly unimpressed. In March 2003 we went to Oahu to attend a wedding, went and looked at Marriott's Ko'Olina Beach Club (part of the Vacation Club/timeshare program) and bought it that day. We both prefer Oahu to Maui (and Kauai). Stay at the Ihilani (right next to our TS). You won't be disappointed. Don't know about the kid issue at Ko'Olina, but they're definitely everywhere at the Maui Marriott. Have fun!!

Old Jan 11th, 2004, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Is the Renaissance Wailea on the beach?? I am getting confused between the Renaissance and the Marriott Wailea resort. It looks like they are almost side by side. From what I can tell from Marriott's web site The Marriott Wailea Resort is not directly on the beach and the Renaissance is. Is this corresct?
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 10:48 AM

They are both beachfront resorts and they are close to each other.
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 03:32 PM

Hawaiigirl - the Marriott Wailea is actually an Outrigger resort that is using Marriott name and yes you can use your points there. It is an "Oceanfront" resort - they are very close to water but there is not beach right in front - however you can walk a short distance to either side to get to nice beaches!
I was initially considering this resort - partly because I thought Mokapu would be soooo expensive at Renaissance but I got the entertainment rate for $300 a night. It is pretty darn close to a real beach. DH and I both looked at the photos on the Maui Revealed website and he thought Renaissance looked better. Since we made that decison last fall, I am glad based on other posts here. It sounds as if rooms and bathrooms in REnaissance are nicer than Marriott Wailea - however I am not expecting the grandness and luxury of 4 Seasons. But that is not a huge priority. We would rather save a little money! And being oceanfront versus paying tons to get an oceanview from high up in one of the fancier hotels should suit us. Not to say we would not enjoy the 4 seasons or Fairmont!
I think you can check out the photos at wizardpub.com without a password. If you want to read reviews you need Maui Revealed book - which is definitely worth getting!
Oh and I will be up front in that I have not yet been there - I have just read an awful lot and been on this site a ton for the past year reading everyone's HI info!
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 04:00 PM

The Outrigger is not on a beach while the Renn. IS on a beach. Both are ocean front.
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 04:05 PM

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Kapalua, Maui last year using Marriott points. The hotel and grounds are beautiful! Definitely a romantic hotel and highly recommended.
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

annk - thanks so much for your recommendation about the Ritz. We are definately looking into it. I have read that Kapalua's weather can change quite a bit from day to day. Did you find this to be the case? Also, is the Ritz on the beach? Looks beautiful from its website. Thanks again.