Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Which Hawaiian island for best weather in late Nov/early Dec? And which is best Marriott?

Search

Which Hawaiian island for best weather in late Nov/early Dec? And which is best Marriott?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning our 25th anniversary trip for 2006, and we're thinking about returning to Hawaii. We've previously been to Maui, Kauai, and Oahu, and we were on Kauai again with our kids this past June.

We were thinking about 3 or 4 nights in Oahu, and then 6 or 7 nights on another island. We've got enough Marriott points for a week's stay, so we could stay at the Marriott Kauai Beach Club in Lihue (we've stayed there and really liked it), the Marriott on the Big Island, or one of the Marriott properties on Maui. We've also stayed at the Hyatt on Kauai and liked that, so that's another possibility. We don't have to stay at a Marriott, but it would be much cheaper for us if we found one where we wanted to stay.

This would be our 4th trip to Hawaii (from Atlanta); we've never been there in late fall, though, so we're not sure which island/area would probably have the best weather, or even if this is a good time of year to go.

We've also been looking at other places, too, (besides Hawaii), so let us know if you have other suggestions.

We wanted something pretty nice for this BIG anniversary. We like to snorkel, go on small hikes, eat at nice restaurants for dinner, explore, hang out by pool/beach, shop (well, I like to shop, but I think my husband just goes along to be nice!), we might want to go golfing a couple of days (that's me going along just to be nice!)

Thanks!
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 02:21 PM

My brother lived on Oahu for five years, and Kauai is his favorite island, so last November (over Thanksgiving) we went and stayed at the same resort, the Marriott Kauai Beach Club in Lihue. I really liked the accessibility of the resort and the roominess of our suite. Anyway, since that's technically the start of winter in Hawaii, Lihue got a lot of cloudy days and a little rain. But Poipu Beach was absolutely gorgeous for our entire stay! We would drive the island but inevitably end up at Poipu for at least an hour each day, snorkeling.

I was also really impressed with the massive waves during that time of year. Barking Sands Beach was deserted when we drove up there, and the surf was so forceful we just stood in awe and watched the ocean. I felt the same way on the other side of the island, up towards the park.

I'd recommend it if you're considering it, but then I've only been on Oahu and kauai, so I'm maybe not the best judge!
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! We're thinking about going the week after Thanksgiving, so that's good info. Our anniversary is actually in October, but it's hard to get away until late November.

Did you go snorkeling?
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 03:36 PM

Samsaf,
I can help with your question about the weather....we have been in Hawaii a few times at precisely the time you are considering.
The temperatures are somewhat cooler in Nov and early Dec (as compared to August) and my husband prefers it that way. This past year it was much warmer than the previous year, so there's no way to accurately predict it. We were on the BI both years. Very little rain, almost none, but incredible wind for the first week of Dec 2004.
We were also in Kauai for Thanksgiving about four years ago and found the north shore rainy and damp. And although Poipu had better weather it was still a little cool.
Last year I took note that the temps were always several degrees cooler on Kauai than on the BI. But only a few degrees, nothing major. I think Maui and Oahu were a degree or two warmer than Kauai and the BI was a degree or two warmer than that.
So not a big difference between the islands other than the rain on Kauai's north shore.
The waves are wondrous that time of year, especially on Oahu's north shore.
In terms of the Marriott hotels, we've stayed at the one closest to Lihue (with the huge round pool) and it's very nice. Can't speak to the others, haven't stayed there.
In summary -- sorry if I went on too long -- the weather will be fine, temps in the low 80s -- and you'll find fewer tourists that time of year.
Whichever island you visit, if you are interested in seeing pointsettia (sp?) growing in the wild, drive upcountry and you'll see vivid splashes of red. Really neat.
Hope this helps you,
CT Lady

Old Jul 30th, 2005, 03:40 PM

We used reward points to stay at the Marriott Waiohai on Kauai two years ago and it was great even though it was still in the midst of construction. They are a Marriott Vacation Club, so they call them villas. We stayed in a two bedroom, with full kitchen, two bathrooms, one with washer/dryer. It is right on Poipu Beach. When we were there only the one large main pool was open, now the second one is open. It isn't a full resort but we enjoyed it. We have also stayed at the Marriott in Waikiki and the Maui Marriott, (also for our 25th last Sept.) I was pleasantly surprised by the Marriott Waikiki. We were updgraded to a large oceanfront room because I mentioned the occasion, and the view was great. The pools there were nothing special but we never had a problem getting chairs etc. They had recently renovated the rooms by the looks of it and the everyone was very nice. I was a little dissapointed by the Maui Mariott, the service wasn't too great and we had some problems checking in, but they did upgrade our room to oceanfront, but the only way to get us a king size bed was to put us in a handicap room which I felt a little strange about but they said it wasn't a problem. It was huge corner room and had a large wraparound lanai. The beach was washed away so we had to walk down to another hotels beach, but we hung out at the pool most of the time we were there. It was great not having to spend anything on the hotel rooms and be able to put the money towards other things. We also stayed at the Fairmont Kea Lani last September and yes it was a more luxurious resort than the Marriott properties but the Marriotts were plenty nice for a stay in paradise! We are going back to the Waiohai in October on a special offer (we got talked into going to a timeshare presentation)so we will get another chance to see what it's like now that it is finished. Friends of ours were on Kauai the week after Christmas and the weather was not good. They had a really rainy winter but you can never tell with Hawaii. I think Maui gets less rain than Kauai, check a weather website, they show monthly averages. Have a wonderful anniversary trip.
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Connecticut_lady, Thanks for the info! Where did you stay on the BI, and did you like it?

Mary2Go, I should have mentioned that we stayed on the Marriott Waiohai also last June (5 nights, also the timeshare presentation special). We loved it, and we thought the grounds and pool were very pretty. It was a great place to stay with 5 people.

MeetMeInStLouie, I see now where you said you snorkeled in Poipu. I should have read your answer better before I replied. This past June, we thought the Poipu area was pretty rough for snorkeling (we got lots of cuts on our legs from being pushed up against rocks), but I know that in the winter it gets calmer on the south shore of Kauai and rougher on the north shore.
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 05:16 PM

Considering you've been to all but the Big Island, go there.

But, it depends what you are looking for.

Oahu's north shore can be spectacular in the winter months. Perhaps a few more days on Oahu. Waikiki does not get a lot of rain compared to a lot of places on the island. Manoa Valley, only a few miles from Waikiki does get a lot of rain. Ko'Olina area also does not get much rain. So Marriott Ihilani Reort would be good.

Maui has the best whale watching in the winter months. Jaws on Maui can also be spectacular with huge surf. Lahaina area doesn't get as much rain as other parts of the island in winter. On the other hand, it rains more on the eastern part of Maui, but that is what helps make Maui and the road to Hana so nice.

Big Island has the active volcano. Hilo is the wettest city on earth, but also one of the best areas on the Big Island because the active volcano is nearby. Also Akaka Falls State Park and Rainbow Falls. Kona is much dryer.

Old Jul 30th, 2005, 06:40 PM

Samsaf,
We stayed at the Hilton Waikoloa, and loved it, but this November the bigger pool there is going to be closed so I hesitate to encourage you to go there unless the pool doesn't matter to you.
Also have stayed at Vista Waikoloa, a condo facility, and we liked that as well.
We like the Waikoloa area quite a bit. If money were no object then we'd consider the Four Seasons, it's south of Waikoloa and North of Kona.
If you pick the BI you should plan on doing a lot of driving -- well worth it, but of course it takes time.
Congratulations on your 25th!
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. Here's what we're thinking:

Week after Thanksgiving, 2006:

3 or 4 nights in Oahu (probably Marriott Waikiki --we've stayed at the JW Marriott Ihilani and, while we loved it, this time we'd like to stay nearer restaurants, etc.

6 or 7 nights Big Island (either 2 nights Hilo side and the rest on Kona side, or all the nights on Kona side and drive). We're looking at the Four Seasons. Does anybody have any ideas about getting good rates for the 4S?