Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help for mother/daughter trip to Naples in Feb.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Earlier today, I posted a message in the general US section...

<Hello! My husband and I have decided to cancel our usual trip up north to ski/snowboard, and take separate vacations with our children. He is going with our 12 year old son to WDW, and my 13 year old daughter and I are trying to figure out what to do.

The trip is Feb. 28 - March 2, we live in Minneapolis so it needs to be a reasonably short flight since we have only four days and that includes flying days.

My daughter says that she wants to go to a beach and shopping. She really doesn't like laying out in the sun; however, and the purpose of the beach is collecting shells. She would also be willing to go to a city and shop and sightsee there, too. Me....well I hate shopping and I am not one to hang out at a beach. We are also going to Puerto Vallarta for spring break.

We are sounding incompatible. Can anyone help?>

She and I have decided that Naples may work. There are non-stop flights to Fort Meyers, and we can head over to Naples for beachtime, shopping and restaurants. I would prefer not to rent a car.

We don't necessarily need to be on the beach, but we would either need to have a hotel close by or a shuttle service to the beach. I think what would work best for us is a location near shopping and good restaurants that we would feel comfortable walking to and from our hotel at night.

I have narrowed it down to Inn on Fifth or Bellasera. Which is more centrally located? If the Edgewater was convenient to good restaurants and shopping that might work, too. Please advise! Thank you!

Old Jan 14th, 2008, 07:19 AM

We stayed at the Edgewater last year and loved it. It's a great little hotel right on the beach. It is not within walking distance to any shopping areas, but you could take a taxi? It's definitely worth it.

As for the other two hotels, I haven't been there so I'm not sure.

Have a great trip.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 07:50 AM

My mother-in-law has a condo in North Naples, so we've spent some time there. I would recommend getting a car and I say this because it is incredibly cheap and easy to get a car at RSW. Try Alamo with this ID#: 430710.

One reason to have a car is the WaterSide shops north of downtown. Plus there is the Villiage shops or some such thing. Plus there are a lot of great fun restaurants up 41 that you would need a car for. If you stay downtown you could park your car on the street for free if you don't mind walking a few blocks. And when you pick the car up, the rental cars are immediately across the street from your luggage so it is super easy to pick up and return. No shuttles.

The Naples Zoo is really nice (and also would need a car to get to). Go on-line and get their schedule of daily events. The zoo is small, but what makes it very special are the daily events. They feed the kangaroos so they come up really close. They feed the Lions and Tigers right by the edge of the cage so they come right up. And they feed the alligators too. Plus they have a little theatre with live animal shows. (Cindy from Survivor was one of the animal trainers if that means anything to you!)

There are a zillion dolphins in the gulf and there will be sunset/dolphin cruises leaving from Ft. Myers Beach.

There are bicycle rental places and it is a great place to ride bikes because it is so flat.

Shopping: the main street in downtown is great as are the Third Avenue Shops perpendicular to the main street.

The weather there is great, so at least you'll be getting out of the snow!
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 07:51 AM

Oops, can you tell I live in Detroit? I capitalized "Lions" and "Tigers".
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 07:55 AM

The Inn on Fifth is very centrally located to all the shopping and dining you could want. It is also within walking distance to the beach so for location, I would say that it is better than Bellasera.

For your daughter's interest in shell collecting, you might also be interested in Sanibel Island or Captiva. These two areas have some of the best shelling in the world. There is a shell museum there that is very interesting. There are some nice small resorts as well as larger properties such as South Seas Plantation. Just an idea, if you haven't already thought of it.

Old Jan 14th, 2008, 07:57 AM

Naples has a millions times better shopping than Sanibel though, and still good shell beaches.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you mschau, kelliebellie and mollmatt. Such great ideas! I had read about the zoo in a previous post, and both of my children love the zoo so I was glad to hear more about the Naples zoo. It was nice to give the specific detail on why it is special, thank you.

Well, if I rent a car, and it sounds like I should, then maybe the Edgewater would be best since we would be right on the ocean, and as you said mschau, it was a great hotel? Also, if I have a car, then we could go to Sanibel for the day to go shelling.

Thank you all for your wonderful and helpful advice!
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 10:06 AM

Here are the great car rental deals for Florida:

http://www.mousesavers.com/rentalcar.html