**HELP** Family of 6 roadtripping through Virginia, D.C. and Outerbanks

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In mid-June we are driving from S.C. to Richmond/Petersburg (Civil War sites) then D.C., Virginia Beach/Williamsburg and ending up around Nags Head before returning to S.C. We have 3 generations traveling aged 3 1/2 to 74. We only have about 9 days (can all these be done in that time frame??). I like to find the fun/different kinds of things "off the beaten track" - no amusement parks. We need suggested hotels for both D.C. & Outerbanks and suggested iteneraries for all locations. Any help would be appreciated!!
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 05:48 AM
Kingfisherqueen

That's pretty ambitious with all those people. Personally, I would skip either VB or the Outer Banks and save it for another trip. If possible, I suggest timing your trip so you arrive in DC on a Fri night and leave Mon morning. The summer weekend traffic on Rt 95 between Richmond and DC is terrible. Hotels rates are generally better in DC on weekends also.

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 06:12 AM

For DC, look at hotels.com (a discount hotel website). You can get two rooms at Jurys Washington Hotel mid-June (weekends - Fri/Sat/Sun nights) for only $125 per room per night. The average price for a basic room in DC is closer to $300-$350 per room per night. The Jurys Washington Hotel is quite nice and perfectly located right on Dupont Circle with the Metro two short blocks away. The location is excellent for tons of dining options in all cuisines/types/price ranges as well and is also a great neighborhood for strolling around after dark.

Other good options on hotels.com are Hilton Washington Embassy Row, Marriott Metro Center, and the Topaz Hotel.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses so far. We have decided to drop the Outerbanks due to time. Unfortunately we will be in Virginia Beach on the week-end (family) and D.C. during the week. Any suggestions (kid-friendly) close to the National Mall area? Any "must see" suggestions for either VB or Petersburg would be appreciated as well. Thanks!
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 05:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
The marine science museum in virginia beach is a very good!! I would definitely visit there. Virginia Beach is fun. It is a little honky tonk in spots, but a fun beach town. The beaches are clean and wide. There are life guards. In Norfolk nearby, there are some battleships you can visit. Also, there is the baseball team, the Norfolk Tides AAA baseball club. You sit very close to the field/players. It is an old faishoned park with the organ player.
In Richmond area, there is the civil war reinactment park called Pamplin Park (near Petersburg). I would check out the canal walk by the city of Richmond along the James River.
Busch Gardens is an amusement park, but it is very tastefully done. You don't even need to go on rides and it is pleasant to walk the grounds. They have the theme of the different countries. My parents don't go on any rides, but they enjoy an afternoon there.
Definitely spend several days in DC. The smithsonian museums are great! Call your SC senators office and request a private tour of the capitol. We did and we are VA residents and it was very neat. We rode underground to the Capitol and had our tour.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 06:31 AM

Be sure to plan on a visit to the Air and Space museum in DC. I second the recommendation about the Marine Science museum in VA beach - it's wonderful. You mentioned that you were interested in Civil War sites. You might also want to consider Colonial Williamsburg / Yorktown / Jamestown for an earlier slice of history. There is a lovely parkway that connects the three towns. Williamsburg is a nice stopping point between DC and Va Beach, and you can get a sense of what it was like to live in the colonial period.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 07:57 AM

The Outer Banks are worth the effort. There are several historic forts and lighthouses along the coast of NC. Opportunites for ferry rides on your route. In NC, Cedar Island (near Beaufort, NC) to Ocracoke Island - 2 1/2 hrs, Ocracoke to Nags Head 45 min. Travel from Virginia Beach across the 20+ mi. Bay Bride Tunnel. Stop by Chincoteague, VA and see the wild ponies on Assateague Island. Ocracoke Island Inn. Surfside in Nags Head. Both AAA, family friendly.
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 12:38 PM

When driving from VA Beach to Richmond, take Route 5. It's a really nice drie and will give you the opportunity to visit some of the plantations. Indian Fields Tavern on Rt 5 is a great place for lunch.