beyond washington dc?

May 27th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

beyond washington dc?

after a week in washington dc, we need your suggestions for another week's travel.
we like walking, biking, photography, art, music, mountains, seashore and small villages. what area do you recommend? we'd prefer to go to an area not more than 5 hours from dc.
thanks.
willis
May 27th, 2009, 03:29 PM

When are you coming to the D.C. area, what dates? That will help.
May 27th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

we will be there in september, after labor day. specific dates are open at this time.
May 27th, 2009, 05:32 PM

Virginia is beautiful. I would head that way. Of course a stop at Arlington National Cemetary and then at Monticello is very nice. I found this website http://www.virginia.org/site/content...MCat=2&MItm=42
which may be of interest.

I only had 3 days to drive thru Virginia from D.C. back to Dulles airport and wish I'd had more days.
May 27th, 2009, 06:01 PM

You might enjoy heading towards Tidewater Virginia: Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown, Virginia Beach and on south along the coast. Lots of historic, educational, scenic sights, as well as the beach.
May 27th, 2009, 06:03 PM

Within 5 hours drive from DC you can be north to upstate New York, west to Pittsburgh or down to Chapel Hill North Carolina, not to mention anyplace in between (NYC, Philli, Baltimore, DelMarVa penninsula, NewPort News VA), so that's quite an area to choose from.

You might consider staying closer to DC and going an hour and a bit north to the Harper's Ferry/Charlestown/Shepardstown area of West Virginia. There are lovely B and B's, history galore, art galleries (esp in Shepardstown), lovely hiking on the AT or the C and O canal, mountain views, and all three towns have a small village feel. Given your interests, I'd especially recommend staying in Shepardstown with its better restaurants and galleries. Even though we only live an hour away in Baltimore, we have often stayed at the Thomas Shepard Inn in Shepardstown for a special get-away.

Other places to consider in the closer in range are Skyline Drive and Shenandoah National Park. Again many B and B's, great hiking/cycling in the park, villages along the perimeter (Flint Hill is particularly quaint).

You could easily do a loop in a week including Frederick MD (stop for a meal and afternoon on way from DC in the historic area), Harper's Ferry, Shepardstown, Charlestown (staying in Shepardstown as a base), then driving a few hours south to somewhere in or near the Shenandoah National Park for a few days. If you wish to keep moving to one more spot you could drive the length of Skyline Drive, ending in Charlottesville VA and visit Monticello as the previous poster mentioned. A couple days in each spot would make a lovely September week.

Enjoy!
May 28th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

thanks so much for your suggestions. they sound worth some research. i especially appreciate charming villages in which to stay.
May 28th, 2009, 09:13 AM

Hub and I had a lovely time at a B&B with a cooking school in Virginia. Trip to Charlottesville, Orange, Montpelier and more very easy.

Inn at Meander Plantation (NOT the Meander Inn) is the name. Hang on, I'll get a site.
May 28th, 2009, 09:18 AM

http://www.meander.net/ it Meander's site. We went last year for 30th anniversary and had a ball at the cooking school.

Except for the seashore (a 2.5-3 hr. trip from DC by the way), that area has lots that you mentioned.

Charlottesville has a pedestrian area (Downtown Mall) with nice eating and shops.

Williamsburg is very interesting and closer to the water. Jamestown also interesting. There are some sweet plantations around Richmond but I'm not familiar with Richmond as a place to stay. Good luck!
May 28th, 2009, 09:20 AM

I think you'll love Shepardstown, Harper's Ferry and surrounding area.

BIGGEST tip is to rent bicylces while in Shepardstown- not only to go north on the C&O but also for your day trip(s) to Harper's Ferry.

http://bikewashington.org/canal/

http://mcmullans.org/gallery/slidesh...l-Virtual-Tour
May 28th, 2009, 09:22 AM

The Eastern shore of Maryland. It will be even less travel time than some of the places you have been suggested. We stayed in Chestertown. We also took a day trip to Rehoboth for that old time beach feeling.
May 28th, 2009, 09:46 AM

Like Pam, I recommend heading east. Chestertown is a good choice. Also, look at Oxford and St. Michaels. Further to the coast, look at Lewes, Delaware. You could also stay in (or take a day trip from Lewes) Cape May, NJ. You can take a ferry from just outside of Lewes.
May 30th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

thanks to your suggestions, we plan 5 days in chestertown and 5 days in shepardstown. as suggested, we'll bike the c&o and to harper's ferry. is there enough of interest around/in chestertown for 5 days?
Jun 19th, 2009, 05:58 AM

We were in DC last March and I absolutely LOVED going to George Washington's home in Maryland and would HIGHLY recommend going to see the National Cathedral. My mom wanted to go and I begrudgingly agreed and it was one of my favorite visits. It is absolutely incredible - the architecture alone not to mention the incredible history.
Jun 19th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

thanks for your comments about the national cathedral. we'll visit it.
Jun 23rd, 2009, 05:21 PM

Chestertown is a good location for a couple of days as it is convenient for day trips and its a nice size town with several good restaurants and a charming downtown. Easy day trips include the Easton / St Michaels area, Wilmington, Philly, New Castle, Delaware beaches. Closer to Chestertown we enjoy the farmer's market on Saturday, the auction on Wednesday in Crumpton, Rock Hall, Chesapeake City.

Oh, and Washington's house (Mount Vernon) is in Virginia -- south of Alexandria.
Jun 27th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

many of your suggestions have been used to plan our trip. we've changed destination from chestertown to williamsburg. also, we've included several bike excursions: alexandria to mount vernon (to enjoy washington's home), shepherdstown to harper's ferry and tours by bike in washington dc. bardo1, your web site is interesting!
thanks to all.
Jun 27th, 2009, 09:16 AM

Since you're in Alexandria for a bit, you might enjoy the neighborhood Del Ray. It's between National Airport and Old Town Alexandria. Great stretch of shops and restaurants--all home grown. Saturday mornings is the farmer's market, the cheese store and butcher shop open early. Lots of families walking around and catching up. There's also First Thursdays from 6-9 where there are things to do along Mount Vernon Avenue. Can walk from Braddock Road metro, or take a bus from the metro.

Also Central VA, you can't go wrong. It's beautiful. Lot's of civil war history and hiking and pretty wine country.
Jun 29th, 2009, 07:22 AM

During your 5 days in Shepardstown area, spend one in/around Charlestown. There are a number of Washington family homes in and around town:

http://justjefferson.com/09jaw.htm
http://happyretreat.org/

In addition, there are lovely short drives from the town to see other stately pre-revolutionary homes. One of our favorites is to drive through Charlestown on Rt. 340 from HF, and keep going straight--once over the railroad tracks at the edge of town, next 10 miles are quite lovely.

If you are driving down I-81 to get to Williamsburg from Shepardstown (highly recommended as this will by-pass the entire DC area), keep going on 340 extended, turn right at first major intersection, left at Opequon to pick up 81--through Brucetown, ending up at Hopewell, an historic Friends Meeting House near the I-81 entrance. See a local map for street names.
Jun 29th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the recent replies about alexandria and the plantations. we appreciate your interesting suggestions!