Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help! Enormous parking $ at hotel on Riverwalk!!!

Old Apr 5th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have just discovered that the parking fee at the Westin Riverwalk is $23 a day - as we will be there for three days, this is unacceptable!!! Is there anywhere you would feel safe leaving your car for three days near the Westin that would be reasonably priced? Thanks.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 01:03 PM

What city is this in?
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Sorry....San Antonio, TX.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 01:05 PM

I think she's talking about NO. If it is New Orleans, the $23/day rate at a hotel is pretty normal.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 01:50 PM

I hate to rock your boat, but these days it gets harder and harder to find decent hotel parking (or any parking) in major cities for any less than that -- and often more. Sorry I don't have an answer. It's just the way it is. One option of course is to stay at a less "fancy" hotel where parking is included.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 02:47 PM

I assume that you have already asked the hotel if they validate parking? They probably want to milk their customers for as much as they can. I used to use the RiverCenter Mall parking when going downtown, but I was only there for part of the day. Is it safe? I think relatively safe, but if there is a garage for the hotel that is probably safer. I stayed at the historic Menger Hotel for a conference a few years ago and I know that the price wasn't that not that expensive.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 02:52 PM

Ok, I just looked at their website and you are staying in a pretty swanky hotel. The price is probably more than other hotels in SA but probably commensurate with the hotel price. It looks quite upscale, not what I would expect in San ANtonio.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 02:54 PM

Welcome to a resort hotel. Thats pretty much the norm as has been stated. You also have to pay for high speed internet, whereas if you go stay at a hampton inn you get free interent, free parking and free breafast. Often at a third of a price. It has to do with the cost of land in where some of these hotel/resorts are located and what the clientele is willing to pay.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 03:18 PM

Yikes! There are quite a few outdoor parking lots around the Riverwalk and River Center Mall. Whether they're monitored 24/7, I don't know. I'd certainly call the concierge at the hotel and ask about alternative parking. There is also parking at the mall - I think it's in the range of $15 or so for 24-hour parking, but there's probably a link somewhere to the Rivercenter that would give more details.

Good luck and welcome to Texas!
Happy travels!
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 03:27 PM

There are several upscale hotels on the Riverwalk, including La Mansión del Río, where I stayed a few weeks ago (charming place!). Their valet fees, with full in-and-out privileges, were $25 a day. I didn't have a car, so I didn't have to pay.

They mention a city parking garage across the street from La Mansión where fees are $7 a day-- but I'm sure you don't get in-and-out privileges. Still, if you must drive there, this would be a possibility (and I think it's not that far from the Westin).
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 03:28 PM

Sad to say, this sounds like a bargain to me
We paid that years ago in Montreal at our hotel and the price of parking in Manhattan will make you immune to parking sticker shock elsewhere!
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will call the hotel directly and ask what other options for parking are available in the area. We are going to San Antonio for my sister's wedding and got a whole bunch of rooms at the Westin for $90 a night (fab price for this hotel I think) and with all the expenses that go along with weddings, we just don't want to fork over that amount for parking. I have been to San Antonio several times in the past and remember pay lots scattered around the Riverwalk area and was just wondering if anyone knew of a lot within a close walking distance to the Westin.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Don

Here's an excerpt from a 2001 review of the hotel on Biddingfortravel.com. There's a February 2005 review with current pricing, so I took the liberty of updating the prices in the excerpt from the 2001 review. Hope this helps...

"There are three options for parking. You can have your car valet parked for $23 a day. You can also self-park it at a well-lit, clean, highrise parking lot directly across the street from the hotel for $9 a day if you have no plans to drive, or for $15 a day with in-and-out privileges. You have to specify which option you want to the front desk and they will put the charges on your hotel bill and give you a parking pass. The receptionists did not do a very good job explaining parking options to guests checking in the day we checked in. I heard several people complaining in the elevator re this."
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 07:02 PM

elizabeth, maybe forego the car? Will you need it? Everything will be on the river, no? Might be cheaper to taxi from the airport and more convenient to can the car.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 04:47 AM
dcespedes

The Riverbend parking garage is within easy walking distance to the Westin...

http://www.sanantonio.gov/publicwork...=1024&ver=true

Old Apr 6th, 2005, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the help! I knew I would find some answers from the wonderfully knowledgable people on this board. We now have a couple of MUCH cheaper options to look in to.

Tandoori_Girl: Unfortunately we all will have cars because we are coming in from the surrounding areas and are not flying. However, we are not planning on driving once we reach the hotel.