Naples vs. West Palm Beach

Old Apr 5th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Naples vs. West Palm Beach

I'm attempting to throw together a quick four night getaway to florida soon and can't decide between west palm beach and naples. Does anyone have any opinions of either? What's most important to us (my husband and I who are both in our late 20's) is a nice beach, good restaurants and some things to do. Which is better??
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 04:25 PM

DH and I went to Naples last year for a quick getaway and enjoyed it. We stayed at the Registry, which had nice pools and comfortable rooms. Not to far from downtown, for good restaurants. The beach was not so great tho, if you are the type that hang at the beach you may want to consider somewhere else.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 07:04 PM

Late 20's? South beach.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 07:16 PM

I just returned to my home about an hour ago by walking (fighting) my way through the crowds of Naples Fifth Avenue South. The average age was probably about 30. The days of Naples being an "old folks haven" are long gone. It may not be quite so glamorous and jet-setty as South Beach, but it is pretty lively. All the young people action IS on Fifth Avenue South though and somewhat on Third Street South.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 07:28 PM
BAK

West Plam Beach has no beach. Palm Beach does.

At least according to a murder mystery book I'm reading.

And it is my understanding that it is hard to get access to the beach in Palm Beach, except via a few expensive hotels.

On the other hand, I know from personal experience that it is easy to get to the beach in and near Naples. There are lots of parking lots, lots of hotels in the medium expensive to expensive range, easy access right downtown at the Naples Pier, and a state park at the north end of Naples.

My daughter (early 20's at the time)and her stepmother were in Palm Beach, West Plam Beach and Naples a couple of years ago, and reported that Plam Beach was a lovely town, but conservative and really rich, and they never got to thebeach. Over in Naples for a copuple of days, they got to the beach several times, and found a lot of very nice things to do, restaurants, and places to visit for less money. Naples can be expensive, but it can be reasonable, too.

Naples has an airport, and the other nearest major airport is Fort Myers.

But, as someone posted, South Beach in Miami may be even more fun.

BAK
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 05:53 AM

I would choose Naples as well. Look into the Hotel Escalante on 5th Avenue. Great property that's walking distance from the beach and down town shops and restaurants.