HELP - CHICAGO HOTEL (FAST)

Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP - CHICAGO HOTEL (FAST)

We are planning a last minute trip to visit my sister in law at school (Dorms at Northwestern)over the July 4 weekend. In the quick research that I have been able to do in a day or two I have decided that we will stay in the city since that is were all the attractions are. (We can always take the El to Evanston, Right??). My question is - Which area is Better: Downtown or Near North? And which hotel would you guys reccommend (100.00 to 150.00 per night)?

THANKS in advance for all your help!
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 07:42 PM

Near North would include Downtown. You may want to distiguish by Near North vs Loop which is probably what you are referring to.

Both are fine areas, the Loop area is closer to the Theaters and Museums. Near north has more shopping and is generaly more "Touristy".

Its going to be hard to get a good deal that Weekend with the Taste of Chicago going on. You may want to try Priceline or Hotwire.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 07:49 PM

I would definitely prefer to stay in Near North vs. the Loop, but taking the el to Evanston from the Loop would be a lot easier.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 08:26 PM

I would pick near north, more shopping resturants and bars - there is no problem grabbing the El to evanston from there. (actually you would take the subway)

The red line subway has two stops in "Near North" Chicago Ave and Grand Ave. This is the train you will need to catch to get to evanston you take the red line to Howard and switch to the purple line (this is about a 30-45 minute ride total) during rush hour there are purple line trains that run through the loop (Mon-Friday about 6-9am and 3-7pm)

www.transitchicago.com

Here are some hotels to try:

-Hampton Inn & Suites(33 West Illinois)- this hotel is newer has good rates and in an excellent location
-House of blues Hotel
-Allerton Crown Plaza

If you want to go a little farther north to the "Gold Coast" Rush and Division Entertainment area (still close the the red line)

Omni Ambassador East is a great hotel

Old Jun 24th, 2004, 07:22 AM

Also check hotrooms.com
and choosechicago.com under accommodations. You may find a deal, but normally $100-150 is pretty low. You could probably stay in Evanston for that amount - there is a new Hilton Garden Inn near the campus.

The Red line El/subway stops are at Chicago Avenue and State Street (just west of the old Water Tower), or Grand Avenue and State, the first main east-west street north of the river. Double check the times of service on the Evanston Brown line - after a certain time, the trains don't go north of Howard Street in Chicago.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 07:35 AM

Sorry, I meant the Purple Line when referring to the connection between Howard Street and Evanston above. Train service north of Howard stops before 1 a.m. during the week, and 2 a.m. on the weekends. Only two trains depart in the final hour before service ends, so don't cut your travel times too close.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 11:43 AM

I recently got the Westin North Michigan Ave. for July 1,2 for $87 per night on Hotwire. It's next to the John Hancock Building. Can't beat the location or price! It was 4*, Ammenities Listed, to see if you are getting the Westin:

Shuttle,restaurant,fitness,business center,laundry.

Good luck!
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 03:39 PM

I would highly recommend Hotwire.com for a hotel downtown. I booked earlier this week and got a $95+$20tax room at the Chicago Hilton Towers for July 3-4. We will be right next to Grant Park (and Taste)!
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 12:44 AM

I feel that you should not stay in downtown Chicago unless you are there for a short business trip. Downtown dies at night, which means you are a target for crime. I always stay in Old Town or Lincoln Park. But I do not stay in "chain" hotels, rather, I prefer B&B's or guest suites.

try:
http://www.athomeinnchicago.com/ or