Looking for lodging near Wrigley Field in Chicago

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for a place to stay near Wrigley Field in Chicago. I am looking for a suite or at least room for a family of four. Any suggestions would be terrific.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 08:08 PM

You would do much better to stay in The Loop or River North areas and take the L to Wrigley. You'll have more choices for hotels and be closer to other sights. One of the suite hotels would probably work well. There are 2 Residence Inns, 2 Embassy Suites, Homewood Suites and Spring Hill Suites. Residence, Homewood and Spring Hill would offer a full kitchen so you could buy groceries and store snacks in your room.

If you really want to stay in Lakeview, The Best Western Hawthorne Terrace is the closest hotel. You can also try www.cityinns.com or www.beldenstratfordhotel.com.

You don't say how long you'll be staying, but another possibility would be vrbo.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 08:14 PM

Well...first let me say that you don't really need to stay near Wrigley if you are going to games there. The stadium is right next to the "L" (red line) which runs you right to the River North/Loop area where hotels are more plentiful.

That being said, there is a Best Western on Broadway (3400 block?) and another a bit further south on Diversey. There is also the Majestic Hotel (which I have only heard of).

Also, a final caveat, I wouldn't book a hotel without checking it out online first in this area. If you go just to the north a bit you will run into a number of establishments that may be titled "hotel" but really are more single room occupancy establishments where people rent rooms by the week/month (which obviously serve their purpose but aren't probably what you are looking for).
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 08:13 AM

We stayed on Ontario St. and took the bus to Wrigley, and I have to say it was a great way to get there. EVERYBODY on the bus seemed to be headed to the game, everyone was in good spirits. Do consider it!

~Liz
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 08:33 AM

Another vote for staying in the River North area and taking the L to Wrigley. Other than going to the game, there is not much for a family to do in the Wrigleyville area. It's mostly an area for young singles (lots of bars.)

If your hotel is in the River North area the L you want is the Red Line. In the River North area there are 2 Red Line stations, one called Chicago (corner of Chicago Ave and State) and the other called Grand (corner of Grand Ave and State.) You want to get on the Red Line train going north, and the train will say Howard because that's the final stop going north. You will get off at the Addison stop. You can see the ball park from the Addison station, and practically everyone else on the train will be getting off too, so no worries about missing your stop. The trains will be crowded, but that's part of the fun. Allow about 30-40 minutes for the trip, including waiting time on the platform. It's easy and a great Chicago experience!
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 11:58 AM

We stayed at the Wrigleyville Guest House. It is one block from Wrigley field. We loved it.

I've also stayed downtown but I really like staying closer to the ballpark and the nightlife around there. The interesting thing is the property is situated close to the park but it feels very neighborhood'y. We really enjoyed it there.

Oh, there is a roof deck. You can't see any of the game but it is close enough that you can see all the fan decks. Pretty cool, I thought.

We found it thru vrbo.com.

Good luck!

Go Cubs!
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 12:43 PM

I have stayed at the Days Inn Lincoln Park North and walked to the game. It is a very nice Days Inn with a great breakfast. We could walk to the game. We took the bus or the EL downtown.
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 09:32 PM

The major hotels are all downtown and in River North/Mag Mile and an easy ride on the red line to Wrigley (Addison stop). That said, you'll be staying with the tourists. Nothing wrong with that, but if you want to be amongst locals, Lincoln Park and Lakeview are two of the best neighborhoods in the city. There are plenty of restaurants. You would be right near Wrigley, of course, along with the Lake and Lincoln Park (kids would love the zoo) and not too far from Old Town (tons of restaurants and Second City).

The Best Western Hawthorne and City Suites are all within a few blocks of the ballpark. City Suites might be loud since it is right next to the El stop on Belmont and on a busy street near a bunch of bars and nightclubs.

Days Inn at Clark and Diversity and the Willows, which I've heard good things about, are near the intersection of Clark, Diversey and Broadway, a few blocks farther but still within walking distance -- or a short bus ride.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 04:50 AM

There is an excellent hotel that is not downtown - Majestic Hotel - 528 West Brompton Place. I walked to Wrigley from there many times and it is in an interesting neighborhood.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 05:54 AM

The Willows, Majestic and City Suites all have the same owner: www.cityinns.com.
Old May 16th, 2009, 04:58 AM

Here is the website for Wrigleyville Guesthouse
http://www.wrigleyvilleguesthouse.com We just sent friends there and they had a terrific time. The roof deck is too die for!
Old May 26th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

I thought I would report back. We stayed at the Wrigleyville Guesthouse this past weekend. Terrific! And with all I can say about the place itself - very nice, it is the roof deck that sold me. You don't have full on viewing of the field but it doesn't matter (and I never thought I would say that) It is gorgeous up there. We took our breakfast up there one morning and drank coffee and watched to sunrise.

I am now looking for an excuse to make the trip back to Chicago. Loved it.
Old May 26th, 2009, 02:12 PM

cornell_birds, now do you understand why I urge visitors to stay in one of the neighborhoods, rather than downtown or on the Mag. Mile?

BTW, did you get a chance to explore the neighborhood?