Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help! 3 nights in Hilton Head versus 5 in Myrtle Beach?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 01:42 PM
Stephen

I need some help here. My wife's and my budget will allow for a "spring fling" to the South Carolina coast in late May, 2003. We always like to stay in a very nice ocena front property. Our budget seems to allow fro 3 nights in Hilton Head versus 5 in Myrtle Beach. Which way to go?

I like to golf and my wife likes the beach and to shop. We like to eat at nice places.

I have heard that Myrtle Beach is way tacky but is it enough to jutisfy two less days of vacation?

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 01:48 PM
Deborah

I was in Myrtle Beach in June w/my brother-in-law who has been to both Hilton Head & MB. He says HH is much nicer than MB, so my vote goes to HH.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 02:30 PM
Yaggs

Hilton Head all the way. Better (not more) golf. Better (not more) restaurants and better (not more) shopping. Quality over quantity. Steak over hamburger. Hilton Head over Myrtle Beach.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 03:01 PM
Jonesy

When I went to MYrtle Beach (a few times) all I remember is almost endless rows of tourist shops selling the same towels, tee shirts and bathing suits. Oh yeah. There were numerous fireworks stores. About as different from Hilton Head as you can get and still be in the same state!

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 03:32 PM
LN

Yes, Hilton Head to Myrtle beach is different strokes for different folks. BUT when you can stay 5 days rather than 3 that's almost twice as long. You don't need to go to tacky shops anywhere - enjoy golf - enjoy dinners out - take in a show - head up to Southport or Calabash. There really are many other nice parts of MB to be enjoyed. I like the north area and Little River but then I also like it down by Surfside Beach and Pawleys island. Any day, any time - I'd take the longer vacation and make it work for me.
Oh, have a great vacation!!!

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 05:36 PM
xxx

Stay out of MB downtown pavillion area and you will be fine. Go north or south. As the other poster stated, I'd take 5 nights over 3.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 05:59 PM
xxx

While most people have made there point and it is true. I would still do Myrtle Beach for the 5 versus the 3. The Atlantic Ocean is still the Atlantic Ocean and for me a golf course is a golf course. As poster says no one is telling you to go to the tee-shirt shops. There are some nice shops in the Boardwalk mall. There are also several shows that can be seen. I saw a very good one in July. The lullabye of broadway. It was excellent. You can also eat at some nicer restaurants, then the seafood all you can eat nonsense. Do a search in the text box on nicer restaurants. There has been much written on the subject. I would also suggest Kingston Plantation if you choose MB. It is a nice place.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 06:36 PM
xxx

Sounds like prizes in a raffle:
1st Prize 3 nights in Hilton Head
2nd Prize a month in Myrtle Beach.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 06:40 PM
xyz

Different strokes for different folks, but I've never understood the idea of going to an inferior place because you can stay longer is better.
Sort of like "the food was really pretty bad, but there was so much of it, it made it worth while".

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 07:00 PM
xxx

As I posted previously, there isn't much difference in the actual beach. The SC coast is the coast.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 07:51 AM
chuck

Can't resist.

The posters above have spelled out the basic differences between HH and MB: consistently upscale versus wide variability in quality.

I love HH, and the advantage is that you can pretty much go anywhere, do anything and it will turn out extremely well.

That said, you can have a very nice vacation in the Grand Strand area (including MB), but you have to plan more carefully than you would on HH. For instance, if you stay at Kingston Plantation, as suggested above, and choose the best restaurants and attractions that MB has to offer, I think your stay would be comparable to one at HH. Of course, you will have to drive through and subject your eyes to much more clutter in MB than HH. If that's an overriding issue, choose HH.

Oh, I just noticed your travel dates. One huge caveat!! If you end up at MB, make sure it is not Memorial Day Weekend (that is one of the bike weeks we suffer through down here).

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 09:43 AM
me

If you are planning on taking your "dawgs" and driving your truck w/ the new gun rack and spitting a little "backy" on the way to your vacation...
MYRTLE BEACH IS YOUR PLACE!!!...
be sure to bring your t-shirts w/ the sleeves cut out.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 09:52 AM
xxx

Me, have a good time while you are there.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 03:10 PM
tt

topping

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 03:58 PM
panda

Stephen,
We stayed at the Wyndam at North Myrtle Beach and it was very nice.
Its right on the beach and the staff was friendly, the food good.
I vote for a longer vacation without the snobs.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 04:32 PM
Tedddy

Try Hilton Head. Cool place.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 11:31 AM
ttt

Oh yeah---this is a good one for comments.

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 09:29 AM
beachlover

Hilton Head Island - hands down, no contest.

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 09:32 AM
beachlover

Before you buy - check out Priceline (go to biddingfortravel.com first and see what people have paid for HHI rooms). Maybe you can get 4 days for the price of 3 somewhere else. Then there is NO CONTEST.
Enjoy the beach. (Maybe you'll get lucky - Hilton Head is a little cheaper in May - it is after the golf tournament but before the families descend - I found A LOT of college kids in Myrtle Beach in May)

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 05:27 PM
jill

Stephen,
Normally, I would say the 5 nights in Myrtle Beach would be better. However, if you're going near the end of May, you'll be there during the biker rally (thousands of 'em); therefore, I would suggest Hilton Head. If golfing is your cup of tea, you'll be plenty satisfied there. If you shop around, you can probably find a place with better prices and maybe stay longer.