Outdoor activities in LA?

Dec 16th, 2002, 04:54 PM
Jan

Outdoor activities in LA?

Hello. We're going to be staying at the Hilton in Universal City in April. My son is 17 and will be busy much of the time with family there. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend some things for my husband and I to do that doesn't involve movie stars, sitting at a taping all day, shopping, fighting crowds, etc. I think we'd rather escape to somewhere like Yosemite or that type place, but I understand it might be too far for a one day trip. Any other ideas anyone has for day/night, with or without our son? Thought we might try to see some sporting events, too.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Jan

Dec 16th, 2002, 05:03 PM
sightseer

Take a drive up to Santa Barbara (or the wine country in Santa Ynez) for the day.

The Getty Center is really worth a visit if you enjoy musuems. Many people go just to see the garden and architecture.

Dec 16th, 2002, 05:15 PM
Patrick

Go to Catalina Island for the day!

Dec 16th, 2002, 05:37 PM
Jan

Can you tell me about how long a drive it is to Santa Barbara or Catalina?

Dec 16th, 2002, 08:42 PM
xxx

You'd have to drive down to Long Beach and then take a ferry over to Catalina Island. Santa Barbara would be a quicker trip. Probably around a 2 hour drive. Nice place for a day.

The Getty is a good suggestion as well.

Dec 16th, 2002, 09:59 PM
lynette

Go hiking at Los Padres National Forest, go to any beach and walk, surf, swim, watch or play volleyball, rent bikes and/or fly kites. (partial list!)
Have a great time!

Lynette

Dec 16th, 2002, 10:09 PM
deb

There are a number of things you can do:

--walk/hike Griffith Park
--go to Olvera Street
--walk around the Tar Pits
--go to the beach and rent bicycles or roller blades and cruise the path along the water (my sisters enjoyed this when they came to visit)
--go to the zoo
--go horseback riding in Griffith Park or elsewhere

Those are just a few ideas off the top of my head that won't include a long drive somewhere like going down to Long Beach or out to Catalina would.

Have fun! A Dodgers game would be great too!

Dec 17th, 2002, 05:30 AM
Mary F

Depending on your schedule, the LA Lakers have some home games during April. This is easy to get to with the Red Line from Universal City. (Transfer to the Blue Line at 7th Street Transit Center, and get off at Pico, Staples Center)
Another vote for Santa Barbara, too. Hotel will have brochures/ideas as well.

Dec 17th, 2002, 10:07 AM
bobcat

I agree with the hiking and horseback riding in Griffith Park. It's just a few miles away and so convenient.

Dec 17th, 2002, 10:58 AM
Barbara

Go to the Huntington Library in San Marino. Their web site is www.huntington.org.

Dec 17th, 2002, 11:51 AM
Ruthie

This isn't outdoors; but if interested, there is a great antique and classic car collection in Sylmar. The Nethercutt Collection. They require reservations, however, if you are from out of state, they may try to work you in with another group. Free.
www.nethercuttcollection.org

Dec 17th, 2002, 02:29 PM
michele

Plenty of very good walking tours of downtown ( Art Deco, Little Tokyo, Theatres,etc)sponsored by the Los Angeles Conservancy. They have a website.

Jan 6th, 2003, 06:50 PM
merrymice

I want to put in a plug for the The Nethercutt Collection. I love the place . I used to run educational tours of LA and everyone I ever took this museum loved it. This is a extremely interesting, fun and often overlooked museum.It does not just have cars, it has a philosophy. Everything in the Museum is functional and beautiful! The tours are wonderful. It does not only have cars. The main draw for me is the mechanical instruments that actually play. Combine the Nethercutt with Misson San Fernando and you could have the very nice day.
For hiking, try Eaton Canyon in Pasadena. You could easily hike to Eaton Falls and then have afternoon tea in the Huntington Library. This would be a very pleasant day.