Helicopter or Air Plane

Old Aug 7th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Helicopter or Air Plane

My husband and I (both seniors) will be vacationing for our 40th wedding anniversary in Hawaii in two weeks. 3 nights Honolulu, 4 in Kuai and 4 in Maui. Where would you recommend to take a helicopter tour and what is the difference between helicopter and airplane. The airplane is half the price but is the experience better with a helicopter. Also, for Luau, Fiest at Lele or Old Lahaina. Any recommendation, restaurants, etc. is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 08:25 AM
GoTravel

An airplane has to keep moving to stay in the air.

A helicopter can hover over sights you want to see.

Old Aug 7th, 2008, 09:33 AM

I am a fixed-wing pilot, but I enjoyed the helicopter tour of Maui with Blue Hawaiian Helicopters. I have given many, many "scenic rides" in fixed-wing aircraft and there is no contest...helicopters are best.
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 12:35 PM

I have been on both types of tours (helicopter in Kauai and airplane from Maui to Big Island).

The helicopter can fly much lower for one thing. Some helicopters even fly without doors attached (this means you will have better pictures with no window glare).

In my opinion the helicopter is worth the extra money although I feel it's not as safe as an airplane.

Either way you should be happy with the tour though!
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 12:45 PM

We've done a fixed wing trip on the BI and helicopter trips on Maui and Kauai. I enjoyed the helicopter flights better since they can hover and being an ametuer photographer....loved being able to shoot pic sitting still.

We however will be taking a fixed wing flight this year in Kauai with Wings Over Kauai for a different perspective.
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 05:56 PM

I'll have to add another option to your list. Check out. www.birdsinparadise.com

I haven't done this yet, but it is high on my list.
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 06:56 PM

The helicopter tour we did of the Na Pali coast in Kauai is one of our best vacation memories ever; the helicopter gives you more flexibility - you can get close and hover; we loved it. If you plan to take pictures, wear dark clothing or your reflection may show up in the window.
Old Aug 9th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you. We have decided to take the helicopter ride. Can't wait. Of course, if you can add some restaurants, etc., that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Erika
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 12:22 PM

If you want to be really adventurous, take a helicopter flight with the doors off (http://www.interislandhelicopters.com/about.htm). It is fabulous. No worries about reflections in the windows when taking photos either.

Our favorite places to eat on Kauai are Duke's (Marriott Lihue), Gaylord's (Kilohana Plantation), Waimea Brewing Company, and JJ's Broiler (lunch on the patio). I heard great reviews for Tidepools (Hyatt), the Beach House, Plantation Garden, Kauai Pasta, and Red Hot Mama's (burritos).

Enjoy your trip to paradise (ours starts in 20 days).