Helicopter flights - passenger size

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2004, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since we are discussing weight today , a recent travel report mentioned that a girl sat in a certain seat because of her weight. You are telling me that you must tell your weight when you reserve a helicopter flight? Can you be turned away? No flight for you for that reason? I think that could offend.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 01:13 PM

Might offend, but that beats the heck out of falling out of the sky!

I believe there is a weight distribution issue. I wouldn't be offended if the pilot asked me to sit someplace specific vs. my kids or people that may be smaller than I am. Unless one is really huge, I doubt you would be turned away.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 01:13 PM

Weight maxima are behind the rule. Rita Rudner once had a routine about it:

"I went on my first helicopter ride recently. And what's the first thing they ask? My weight. And I sat in my seat and looked around and said to myself: 'If everyone else lied about their weight like I did we're going down!'"
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 01:15 PM

Did you bump your head recently Leelani??
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 01:16 PM

The last heli website I visited stated it would charge people 250lbs or more an additional 50% of the normal fare. $)
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 01:20 PM

Yes you do have to tell. Not only do you have to tell them, usually there is a question on the waiver which you need to sign, but if they don't believe you, they will make you get on a scale. The helicopters design does not leave too much room to play with weight. It just won't go up if it's over the limit. Depending on the model, the pilot will know the total weight possibe on any given day. I'm not a pilot, but the weather has something to do with the equation as well. So if there are 5 passengers plus the pilot at 200 lbs each and the chopper will only go up with 1000 lbs, well somebody will have to stay behind. If there is only 1 passenger that weights 400 lbs, then there is no problem, only that s/he will have to sit centerd or somewhat counterwight to the pilot. Distribution of weight is also very important. The pilot will decide how everybody is seated (more or less) according to their weight.

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 01:24 PM

Even worse...some heli companies are discreet about this (you can whisper your weight, or make a note on paper), but many just boldly ask "Whatta you weigh?". Erk!

BTW, all airlines which fly the smaller jets and prop planes, have the weight requirement, too. _All_ baggage -- including the 2-legged kind -- gets weighed and evenly distributed on the aircraft.

As placeu2 has noted, safety comes before vanity! 8-)
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

I do think it could offend, but I see the necessity for it. Was just wondering how they work it out but your comments make sense, AAFrequentFlyer. Safety first, all that. Thank you to those who answered my question.