Weight on small planes

Old Jan 8th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weight on small planes

In addition to luggage, do they weigh people on the small planes in Botswana? Does anyone know the weight limits? We are traveling with 2 other couples on an independent itinerary visiting 3 camps. Would it be a collective weight for the 6 of us or individual?
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 08:52 AM

Yes, the weight of the people is important. If you're over a certain weight, you will need to reserve 2 seats.

If a ground operator is arranging your transfers, then I'd expect the ground agent to ask your weight when you make arrangements. When traveling as a couple, I don't know whether or not they use the combined weight (and divide by 2, of course), but I'm sure that some on this board can tell you.

You do not want to mislead the charter operator about your weight. Any aircraft, but especially the small a/c used in safari transfers, has very specific limits for the maximum weight that it can carry under various conditions (including weather and runway conditions). If that weight is exceeded, there is absolutely a danger of the aircraft not being able to take off and/or fly properly.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 09:17 AM

Don.
Being a very large person has never been a problem. We have always taken care of it.
Don't worry
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 01:49 PM

The total weight on the plane is important. As rizzuto mentions, if any of the passengers is over 250/lbs and very tall, it's not only their comfort and safety, but that of other passengers. Regardless, the fact that these aren't long flights (usually less than 1/hr, but can be more, depending on destinations)... it's a matter of consideration and safety.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 01:50 PM

Having been in Botswana in June I don't know whether the pilots are amazing guessers or just lucky but at no point were we every asked to step on a scale or was our baggage weighed. The issue with the bags was whether it would fit in the small hold of the plane and on the one occassion when it wouldn't they just tossed it on the seat next to one of the passengers. The only thing they every weighed us for was the helicopter flight over the falls.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 02:39 PM

Received 79 Likes on 10 Posts
I want to bring a small duffle with used clothing, shoes to give to children, parents that we come in contact with. However, this would put us over the 33 # limit. Do you think if I showed them it was for African children, they'd allow it extra? I'm assuming the planes may be less than full with the election fallout.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Jed

Since you are going with 2 other couples, you will not have the smallest plane. I suspect that a larger plane will have more leeway with weight and luggage.

My experience with 3 flights in Bots is that we or our luggage were not weighed. As long as we and our luggage seemed reasonable just by looking, we just went on.

Do you have any special circumstances where people or luggage weight may be a problem?
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 07:39 AM

I always have problems with my wife when i tell her we have to pack light and then we find people with way more weigh than what is allow.

In our last trip in Botswana we where going from Selinda to Kwara in a six seater plane.
The pilot said we had to stop at King Pool to get another couple.They where waiting at the airstrip with the guide...beside the vehicle there where no lees than 8 bags,some of them big and heavy.

When the guide approach the plane the pilot asked:
THAT IS NOT THEIR LUGGAGE? and the guide said ...YES..then
NO YOU ARE KIDDING ME ...NO I AM SERIOUS.

I have never seen something like that before.I suppose they had pay extra for that amount of luggage??.

Then the man was big and heavy,maybe not 250 pound but definitely more than 100 kg.He had to go in the front seat with the pilot and had to be very careful because his leg was almost touching levels and buttons of the plane,i was a bit scare but no problem,we had a perfect flight.

BTW,His wife was very small and skinny and they where very nice people, going to Mombo.

Paco.

Old Jan 9th, 2008, 09:55 AM

Paco,

I tend to agree with you - these days (2007 and after) i notice more people travelling with HUGE suitcases and you can clearly tell that they are WAY BEYOND the 12kg -20 KG luggage limit.

I did ask the pilot what was going on - there was luggage all over the aisle of the plane and i insisted that i sit up front with the pilot. These people have ridiculous amount of luggage to be in the bush for a few days. Especially, when they have daily laundry and the like ...... ridiculous!!!
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 06:20 PM

On flights between 5 Bostwana camps in Nov. on Sefofane our two duffels were weighed at the Maun airport (both under weight), but we never were. My husband is 6'4" and weighs 275 lbs. (I, of course, am exceedingly svelte! Nobody sugegsted we pay for an extra seat, but there was usually an empty seat, where the pilot stowed extra bags. Those six-seater Cessnas were quite uncomfortable for him, but as Sandi says the flights aren't that long.
One of the managers at Little Vumbura complained about many people bringing too much, many not realizing that clothes are washed in camp. Shouldn't the travel agents bear some responsibility here, or are the tourists just not paying attention?
Not loving small planes, I worry a bit that the pilots will overlook weight limits so as not to anger high-paying customers. Paranoid?
Leslie
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Jed

We had a few things washed at Kulala Wilderness Camp in Namibia. The results were that the whites came out grey. But at least they were clean.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who replied. Our travel agent told us about the weight limits on the bags, but I just didn't know about the people. I'm sure the pilots are pretty good at ball-parking human weight as knlaw stated. When in doubt, I would hope they would weigh. I just don't want it to be me. ;-)